Feeling played on the 4.04 update.

ecko813

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else find the timing of a supposed ota release of the latest g-nex update for Verizon more than suspicious? In most forums there are more people in various states that have not received the update than report to have received the update. Its funny that news of the update comes out mere days of the galaxy SIII release. All I keep reading of many people calling customer service and getting the "this is the first 2e heard of it response". I know we can root. I know that it will eventually come. What I don't know is why Verizon is holding frequent updates from happening. I don't buy the it has to be perfect mantra anymore. Release the Kraken!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
welcome to Verizon!

Way back when, we had 2 Fascinates in the house. Bought at the same time, mostly stayed in the same place.

The one got an OTA almost right after it was announced, the other about 2 weeks later. VZW is just crap with the updates, it isn't a conspiracy.

Downwind

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Dude, exactly my feelings. I had a Fassy too. It took forever to get froyo. Remember.

I was watching Samsung's rollout of the new Galaxy 3 thinking 'none of this stuff is going to work properly until after a couple of updates which will never happen on Verizon.'

For the record my Fassy worked great on froyo then they gave me GB which turned it into an hourly reboot disaster.

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Last night i had a strange "update" "dowloading" "start" icon with an Android cartoon character. It wasnt on the main page.. but similiar to the shut down screen.. all black with green writing. At first, i thought i was finally getting the real deal update.... but then nothing happened
Possibly because i was in a bar with no reception?

But immediately a bunch of apps updates happened. Same as if i was in the Play Store..... anyone had that happen to them?

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You guys, of course there are people who haven't received 4.0.4 OTA yet. The reason is simple; it hasn't been rolled out yet.

Some received a version in order to see how it would go.... that part is over. Tweaks are most likely be introduced, and we'll see an official nation-wide release sooner rather than later.

Thanks,

Matt!

crazed_z06

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I got tired of waiting and broke down and installed the new 4.0.4 build last night. My phone is bone stock and I used this method to install the update. No data loss or anything. Phone works perfect. Noticeably better reception and they phone is a bit snappier now.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/171592-imm76k-locked-unrooted-issue.html
IMM76K Direct for Verizon Galaxy Nexus Manual OTA Instructions [UPDATED][New Working Link] ? StrifeJester's Rants

Crazed,

Thanks! I'll try this in a few. My only question is.... Will this allow for future OTA updates from Google or Verizon?

Thanks,

Matt!

crazed_z06

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Crazed,

Thanks! I'll try this in a few. My only question is.... Will this allow for future OTA updates from Google or Verizon?

Thanks,

Matt!

Not sure.

Hopefully since this was an OTA that was actually pushed, it doesnt take us off the upgrade path if the final 4.0.4 happens to be something different that this..

fjfisher601#AC

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I think my OTA has started- but now I 'm getting concerned- its been over an hour and the Android character i Green is on the screen - a big hollow arrow with Start is in the center and pointing to the right- but is not reacting to any "touch"- it says downloading - ... and not to turn off target- its been like that for over an hour-
Any thoughts- ?

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If you hit the power button the phone will boot up. You are in Odin mode. Means upon power up you accidentally had the power button and the volume rocker pushed at the same time.

Reactions: fjfisher601#AC

crazed_z06

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I think my OTA has started- but now I 'm getting concerned- its been over an hour and the Android character i Green is on the screen - a big hollow arrow with Start is in the center and pointing to the right- but is not reacting to any "touch"- it says downloading - ... and not to turn off target- its been like that for over an hour-
Any thoughts- ?

EDIT: nevermind.. sounds like you figured it out..

Last edited:

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

Just an update. I updated my locked and un-rooted VZW Stock Galaxy Nexus (4.0.2) to last week's imm76k OTA push that some people received from Google. I did not lose any data whatsoever.

I used the guide here, and didn't run into a single problem:
IMM76K Direct for Verizon Galaxy Nexus Manual OTA Instructions [UPDATED][New Working Link] ? StrifeJester's Rants

I have noticed NO negative effects. Here are the positives that I noticed:
-MUCH better data/cell signal. at least 100% better coverage INSIDE my house (gauging my bars, not Db. No missed calls, no dropped calls, no poor quality audio).
-Faster and snappier overall
-Faster recent apps appearance when pressing the recent apps button

Just thought I would update,

Thanks,

Matt!

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
welcome to Verizon!

Way back when, we had 2 Fascinates in the house. Bought at the same time, mostly stayed in the same place.

The one got an OTA almost right after it was announced, the other about 2 weeks later. VZW is just crap with the updates, it isn't a conspiracy.

You do understand that updates are done by ESN, right? It doesn't matter when they were purchased or where they are used, all that matters is the ESN. The reason they updated at different times was because they were in different upgrade groups.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You do understand that updates are done by ESN, right? It doesn't matter when they were purchased or where they are used, all that matters is the ESN. The reason they updated at different times was because they were in different upgrade groups.

I do understand that, but 2 weeks is nuts. And yes I know they could be very different esns, but 2 of the same phone, bought in the same place, at the busiest shopping day of the year should be pretty close as far as ESNs go

slave2theaxe

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
What exactly is so mind blowingly different/better about 4.0.4 vs 4.0.2? I'd bet a paycheck that almost no one on here complaining, could even tell the difference without going into the settings and looking. Its not like these new phones are running something groundbreaking...and if your phone is having issues with 4.0.2, changes are, its still gonna have said problems with 4.0.4 or whatever other new releases come out, sorry to say.

People need to chill out...its REALLY not that big of a deal.

PhoenixMike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
What exactly is so mind blowingly different/better about 4.0.4 vs 4.0.2? I'd bet a paycheck that almost no one on here complaining, could even tell the difference without going into the settings and looking. Its not like these new phones are running something groundbreaking...and if your phone is having issues with 4.0.2, changes are, its still gonna have said problems with 4.0.4 or whatever other new releases come out, sorry to say.

People need to chill out...its REALLY not that big of a deal.

There better be a difference considering the amount of issues people were having with 4.0.2.
With that being said, users HAVE noticed a difference with 4.0.4. Some bad, some good. Mostly radio related. That is definitely worth something mentioning.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech