Android 4.04 verizon galaxy nexus

Nag24

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to see how everyone elses 4.02 experience is. Mine is essentially unusable on 3g (4g disabled). If I used it, i get 1 or 2 bars most of the time, and the battery dies in about 2 hours. If I am on wifi, it will last most of the day. Do others experience the same behavior?

I called technical support, and they said (after i sent them a bug report) that it is an OS issue which will be fixed with the update that will be released in LATE May. They said i can replace my device for a new nexus, but i assume i will have exactly the same problem.

Is there an easy step/step guide to update to 4.04 for MAC computers?

Nag24

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Did others on 4.02 have such terrible battery life? I'm trying to see if I have a lemon and can get some basic improvements from a new device or if 4.04 is the only hope

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have any problems. Not even signal issues. I updated to 4.0.4 just because. I will say battery life was better for me

brackett5

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about doing the upgrade the unrooted way...however i also was thinking about just going ahead and rooting...So I guess im asking root and kernel and all or try manual unroot??? Sorry didnt mean to jack youtr post.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about doing the upgrade the unrooted way...however i also was thinking about just going ahead and rooting...So I guess im asking root and kernel and all or try manual unroot??? Sorry didnt mean to jack youtr post.

If you're interested in rooting - beyond just the update - there are lots of great roms/kernels/development options. Check out the root/rom/hacks subforum.

If you unlock and root, you have the option of applying the root enabled version of the update, or using roms which are significantly better and more customizable than stock. imo of course on the better part. :)

Reactions: axne1 and brackett5

watchtheflames

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I was on stock for a month or so, and my battery life was never that bad. 2 hours to drain a battery tells me there's something wrong actually, unless you have all your apps updating very quickly, lots of widgets, a live wallpaper, and on top of all that you are a very heavy user. Even with all of that 2 hours doesn't seem right.

unger316

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I can get a through half of the day on 3g ( no 4g here). That's with some heavy use in the morning. If I'd baby it I could probably get through a whole day.

like2angle

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi Nag24,

Mine does exactly the same thing and I was told the same from 2nd level tech support. It seems in the afternoon when network traffic is higher the problem is worse.

I have to turn airplane mode on and off when going from wireless to 3G or LTE or I have no connectivity. Again, its worse during network traffic peak times.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have any problems. Not even signal issues. I updated to 4.0.4 just because. I will say battery life was better for me

Not to hijack, but have you (or others who have updated to 4.0.4 from Verizon tried Google Maps Navigation? On stock GNex, the nav quit speaking street names. I was wondering if it was fixed with 4.0.4. The latest Maps update did not fix the problem.

TJH

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I restrict most programs to stop working in the background (settings, data, choose each app). I can check words with friends when I want to. Saves a lot of battery. I don't restrict a widgets and live wallpapers because that's what the phone's for.

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Not to hijack, but have you (or others who have updated to 4.0.4 from Verizon tried Google Maps Navigation? On stock GNex, the nav quit speaking street names. I was wondering if it was fixed with 4.0.4. The latest Maps update did not fix the problem.

TJH

It is working for me

TeppyWeppy

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I definitely had a bum device. My battery would die within a couple of hours and the phone would struggle to find and keep a 4G signal. I was getting voicemail notifications but had no missed calls and when I COULD actually make a call, it would inevitably drop, which is highly problematic considering that this device is a phone first and foremost. I finally brought it to Verizon and they replaced the SIM, which did nothing but waste my time. I went back the following day and they replaced my GNex with another new unit. I am thrilled to report that I have not been experiencing the same battery and signal issues that I had with the first device. My only complaint is the occasional random reboot but compared to the other crippling issues, this is a walk in the park. I would switch your GNex out for another one while you can. Hopefully the 4.0.4 update stabilizes all of these known issues across the board and doesn't introduce new problems. For now, stock 4.0.2 seems to be holding up for me. Good luck.

TeppyWeppy

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to mention that I am routinely getting 2-3 bars of 4G and it has only switched when I go to what I know to be a non-4G area. My phone is not switching to 3G at all otherwise.

sURFNmADNESS

May 25, 2010
Visit site
On 4.0.2 found the most common reason my battery is drained is caused by leaving the wireless on all the time. It will try to reconnect to any open system around it when I really have no need. If I get near too many at once, all awaiting acknowledgement page to join their open wireless access, it can drain the battery in no time and the phone gets super hot.

Just make it a habit of turning off wireless unless you need it.

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
On 4.0.2 found the most common reason my battery is drained is caused by leaving the wireless on all the time. It will try to reconnect to any open system around it when I really have no need. If I get near too many at once, all awaiting acknowledgement page to join their open wireless access, it can drain the battery in no time and the phone gets super hot.

Just make it a habit of turning off wireless unless you need it.

Conversely if you do have a strong wireless connection to a specific network, using that will save battery over keeping it in LTE mode

I understand not everyone wants to do this but I do like the Powerbar Widget and I have stopped bluetooth, GPS, and sync services while dimming my screen to the minimum level in order to conserve battery life

(And now 4G since AOKP has that toggle)

Simple flip of the switch to reactivate them all

Nag24

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Just an update. I received a new device (still stock 4.02) and have the same problem. On 3g my battery drains 1% a minute with only Web browser in use. I have almost no background apps running. In battery stats my Android OS takes up 30%! Any thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol