Ok, enough is enough. Goodbye Galaxy Nexus.

AuxiliaryPie

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Sorry GNEX, I really want to love you, but....

The only two problems with this phone (originally) are signal strength issues and piss poor battery life. the reception has gotten WORLDS better (went from 1 bar of 3G to 2 bars of 4G in the class room and my basement) and if you turn off 4G, the phone can idle forever (i just turn on 4G when i need to, for tethering usually).

Sorry you are having bad luck with it, it's gotta just be a lemon because anyone with the newest radios will tell you, its a whole new phone now (dev community FTW)

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

The only two problems with this phone (originally) are signal strength issues and piss poor battery life. the reception has gotten WORLDS better (went from 1 bar of 3G to 2 bars of 4G in the class room and my basement) and if you turn off 4G, the phone can idle forever (i just turn on 4G when i need to, for tethering usually).

Sorry you are having bad luck with it, it's gotta just be a lemon because anyone with the newest radios will tell you, its a whole new phone now (dev community FTW)

I understand that, but a huge proportion of owners have had the "disappearing data and voice" issue when on 4G. It was never a signal reception issue for me per se. It was having full 4G, then no 4G and no Voice every few minutes, even while standing in the same place. It's a hardware defect, and a remarkably wide-spread one at that. I'm just amazed at the lack of QC from Samsung.

Fa11ou7

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

The only thing good about my GN is that there are no signal issues. I'm holding out for the factory update to see if it will fix at least some of my problems but I might have to switch to a different phone as well. The problems that I have are; lag, CPU heating up to >110 (not fun on my ear), won't sleep which kills my battery, random reboots, shutdowns, and lots of native apps crashing. I'm usually on Wifi so there is no reason the battery shouldn't go all day, but that is becoming more and more rare.

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Dude. If your gonna take your Nexus back, wait.

See what Verizon has up in a month or so. Supposedly the Droid Razr HD will be out. If thats true, then it will be a better buy.

Honestly, if you get it now, you'll regret that it won't be upgraded past ICS. At least the Razr HD will launch with ICS and will get the next updated OS.

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

I feel your pain. Seems that some metropolitan areas have more connection and "dropped calls" (microphone drop) issues than others.
I'm on my second round of hardware with the same issues as the first. Love the ICS so much I am toughing it out to see if the all illusive 4.0.4 update may ease the pain.
Also waiting for Razr to get ICS. Perhaps then if this thing still does not work well as a phone I will jump.
Best of luck,

DrDew

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

yes you can...go to settings, under wireless & networks click more, then click at the bottom mobile networks, then click networkmode and select CDMA. You'll be on 3g only.

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
yes you can...go to settings, under wireless & networks click more, then click at the bottom mobile networks, then click networkmode and select CDMA. You'll be on 3g only.

Awesome, thanks! I don't live in a 4G area, but was wanting to get the Galaxy Nexus and didn't want to suffer with a bad battery life because of this.

BuffaloMadMan

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Please for the love of god just root and update manually to 4.0.4... This update makes the phone so much faster when handling 4G to 3g hand offs. I was thinking about sending it back but haven't because the update fixed all the signal and battery problems I was having. I don't have dropped signal either. I think it has more to do with Verizon 4G then the actual phone. If your in low coverage zone turn 4G off. I would wait for the update which should be out if you don't want to root in the next week or so

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

cobra617

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Regret getting this phone

I hate to finally admit this, but I really regret buying this phone. I was super anxious to get this even before it came out. I even paid a "fee" to Verizon so that I can upgrade early (2 months before my contract was up). I previously had an HTC Droid Incredible. It worked very well.

I have been an apologist regarding the Nexus since the beginning. I overlooked the 3G/4G handoff issues and other quirks. Now, I am at a point where I am fed up with the constant reboots and because of those, the other "quirks" now irritate me.

3 recent incidents have really driven me over the edge. Twice in the past week on two separate occasions. I was out with my young kids, and as young kids often do, they were doing "cute" kid things. I wanted to record them. So I swipe the unlock ring to the left to go straight to the camera and...the phone hung and rebooted. @#$@$%@#$%. My wife was with me on one occasion and I had to ask her for her phone to record the kids.

Another incident recently, my phone rebooted in the middle of the night. As it boots back up, it vibrates. The vibration was loud (on my nightstand) and startled me awake. At 3am.

Outside of those cases, I'd say my phone now reboots about 3-4 times a week. Most of the time, it is harmless. But since the incidents I mentioned above, I am really ticked.

In addition, my phone call quality is not that great. My DINC was better. My biggest complaint is that the volume on the handset (not speakerphone) fluctuates and makes it distracting to hear.

I am really hoping that 4.04 fixes these issues, because I am kicking myself for not going with another HTC phone.

My wife has the Razr Maxx. It is nice, but I wanted a high resolution screen so it was out of the question.

Also, I do not want to root, nor unlock. I also don't want to apply the update that someone is hosting on their site. I am not that bold to download something from some unknown website and apply it to my phone.
I am not averse to rooting. I've done it on numerous devices. My DINC runs CM7 and I have a Nook Color that runs CM9. I just don't want to root this phone.

I am done my rant. Thanks for listening.

Kancerstick

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Regret getting this phone

not gona lie, i do regret getting the phone as well. When i want it to work in those situations where i just need it to work, it never comes through.

I had a job related call, an extremely important one. My gnex dropped the call suddenly, took me like 5 minutes to call the guy back, happened again three more times. Then the verizon bars just x'd out. I gave up and drove back to my office to call the guy back. The guy on the other line thought i was doing it on purpose...needless to say, i had to apologize ALOT bc of this damn phone.

Everything that pisses me off about this phone is all radio related. I have wifi issues / data dropouts, etc etc etc.

the only other bad thing i can say about this phone, is the speakerphone. The speakerphone is incredibly poor.. Even after installing volume +, messing with kernel sound tweaks..the speakerphone just bothers me.

I love the screen, i love the look. But radio wise, what in the f*** was samsung thinking?

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

Well, if you don't want to root and install a custom ROM, that leaves you with a few other choices.
1) Deal with it.
2) Contact Verizon for a replacement.
3) Wait for the update.
4) Buy a different device.

I rooted every Android device I've owned, but never wanted to try an alternate ROM.
It seemed to me the update was never going to come, and I knew other ROMs had already fixed the one issue I had, JavaScript.
So I installed a new ROM, and haven't had any other problems.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site

Coming from the Charge, the 4g/3g handoff is not much different for me. The bars were lower but it seemed to work the same. I am on the edge of a low 4g and low 3g signal so battery life always sucked at home if I was not on wifi. I purchased a 3g extender and my home life has improved :). My issues were similar on the D1, Fascinate, Charge and Nexus.

If you are getting random reboots and you are stock, call Verizon and they will give you a replacement. You might have to factory reset for them but seems like some get phones with less issues than that. I am on my original Nexus. The 4.04 radio helped 4g alot at my house. Before I could see it but it would never last. I can keep it now.

My only complaint is the camera. I also like the slimness of the 3800 mah Maxx as it is just as slim as my phone with the 2100 mah battery. Overall, I am happy with the Nexus. The tweaks that are out there are sweet. The notification bar options, lock screen tweaks and Beats audio are just a few.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Don't even get me started on the VerizonNexi. If you can prove it to be problematic enough, they will start a ticket, and if you are nice, they may let you into a different phone if they think you wont be satisfied with a refurb. Good luck.

da_goldstein

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I would just keep getting replacements until one works. It took me two tries now I have no problems. No reboots, no dropped calls etc.

The quality control here is terrible.

Blackberry is better in that department.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: anon(19758)

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site

Also, I do not want to root, nor unlock.

Sounds like you bought the wrong phone.

Should the phone work right out the box without having to tinker with it? Yes (and it did for me)

But if there's a fix out there and you don't want to apply it? That's more on you. Time for a new phone.

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

Never had an issue with the camera or signal... I also don't really remember much of 4.0.2... been on 4.0.4 since February and its been rock solid. The latest release seems much snappier, too.

gnexfixplease

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you, I've gone though 6 refurbs, all have some issue. Reverting back to number 5. Can't wait for a new Verizon phone that has ics and the same size screen

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

1fastmr2

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I was fighting the same issues with my Nexus. I started a ticket with Verizon and started a log of things that my nexus was doing. A Verizon engineer told me it was best to move the RAZR phone. I told them it will be exchanged for free. I was way past 15 days. They agreed to give me a new RAZR MAXX. I may not have a high resolution screen but I'm happy my troubles have gone away:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech