Need Opinions on Verizon Nexus Screen Washout Comparison

JDWallace

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
I have been a member for some time and I am more of a lurker than a poster. Without making this a debate on why I have a replacement or that I am saying that it is the worst or best phone, I would like some honest opinions on THIS issue on THESE two phones. I'd prefer to have an adult conversation about this instead of a flame session or a badmouthing a phone session.

Which phone has a better screen or color between the two? This is the second Nexus sent to me in a week that the screen looks washed out. (At least this one didn't have someone else's data on it unlike the other sent this week.) I have both set in these pictures to full brightness that way it should be set equal. Is there something I am missing or am I just looking at it too hard? Am I being too picky or am I the only one that sees this? Thanks for any opinions and or advice to solving what could or could not be a problem.

jhaire08

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
It looks like the one on the right has a glow around the edges of the screen, and in my opinion the one on the left looks better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: JDWallace

JDWallace

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
The one on the left is my original Nexus. The one of the right is the "Replacement" Nexus. This is the second one they've sent to me like this. I'm just wondering if they are all going to be like that.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
The one on the left is my original Nexus. The one of the right is the "Replacement" Nexus. This is the second one they've sent to me like this. I'm just wondering if they are all going to be like that.

What exactly are you getting the phone replaced for?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JDWallace

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
carracerz14,

I am one of the GNex owners who have the bad radio issues. I lose data/voice constantly even while being in a strong 4G area in Austin. Don't take this towards an attack or anything because that's not intended, but here is the short of the Long story.

I have been working on the issue for a long while and had signal screen shots with gps location and a "case" to show Verizon. I am one of those people that don't complain to complain. I see a problem, I try to bring a solution to the table. There is no use whining about things if you offer something to help fix the problem. No, is it my problem that the radio is bad and no it's not my fault. Yes, they are the responsible party because they carry and sold the phone. BUT that doesn't mean I am going half cocked on them. Things happen and things are never perfect. So I am just trying to help fix a problem, but bottom line is I refuse to get more garbage in exchange.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
No, I know exactly how you feel. I too had a nexus with HORRIBLE signal. I made just one call to Verizon and nicely explained my issues and how thousands of other people have the exact same issues. I was only on the phone with them for 20 minutes and the tech offered me the RAZR maxx. They didn't even make me get a replacement nexus first. I did love my nexus. And I loved showing it off with Google wallet, and all of my mods I did. But in the end I needed a phone that actually works. And now with my maxx I get 3-4 bars of 4g where I struggled to get just 1 bar of 3g with my nexus.

JDWallace

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
No, I know exactly how you feel. I too had a nexus with HORRIBLE signal. I made just one call to Verizon and nicely explained my issues and how thousands of other people have the exact same issues. I was only on the phone with them for 20 minutes and the tech offered me the RAZR maxx. They didn't even make me get a replacement nexus first. I did love my nexus. And I loved showing it off with Google wallet, and all of my mods I did. But in the end I needed a phone that actually works. And now with my maxx I get 3-4 bars of 4g where I struggled to get just 1 bar of 3g with my nexus.

That is what has me at a stump. I am so for a Nexus device and all the great things you can do with them. To be honest and non sappy, I am scared to give up my GNex in fear of what I will be losing. Plus I have such loyalty to it. I had a great experience with my Droid X, so I might think about it hard if they offer me a Razr Maxx. It's a tough call for me though. Thanks for the input!

jhaire08

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I know that I'm about to sound like everyone else that has a nexus on this site but I'm just wanting to share what I've done to fix mine. Right after that 4.0.4 update got leaked a couple weeks ago, I unlocked my nexus and loaded it on my phone. I didn't root I just unlocked and was able to get the update loaded on my phone. I know everybody else says this but I really have found that I have better reception with it. I'm NOT trying to pressure you into unlocking and rooting like every other nexus owner does to a fellow owner having problems with reception, just letting you know what worked for me.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I know that I'm about to sound like everyone else that has a nexus on this site but I'm just wanting to share what I've done to fix mine. Right after that 4.0.4 update got leaked a couple weeks ago, I unlocked my nexus and loaded it on my phone. I didn't root I just unlocked and was able to get the update loaded on my phone. I know everybody else says this but I really have found that I have better reception with it. I'm NOT trying to pressure you into unlocking and rooting like every other nexus owner does to a fellow owner having problems with reception, just letting you know what worked for me.

I wouldnt even waste the time with 4.0.4. I bad the newest radios and didn't notice any change except that they changed the visualization of the bars, it appears that you have better signal, but in reality the dbm is the same or worse. I too had a droid x as my first phone which also had excellent signal, I was also afraid of what I would be missing but in reality its not too had tl deal with. gingerbread runs buttery smooth on the maxx and ics is coming to it sooner or later so that's no biggie either. Plus the battery life is amazing right out of the box. No need to buy a 60 dollar battery that adds a mountain to the back of your phone. And the screen really isn't as bad as some people try to make it seem and actually I think that it works better in daylight

JDWallace

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site

My GNex is currently Unlocked and Rooted, but no Rom, because I like the stock ICS. I have been thinking of doing what you have suggested because I have read that here and other places.

carracerz14, I read somewhere a while back that the radio updates would only fix the way it showed it, but not necessarily make the radio signal better. So I think it is one of those mind games that makes you think it is better, but it probably isn't. ALTHOUGH, I have seen a few GNex side by side and some of the 4.0.4 ones actually read better signals not just the bars. (I am unsure if the signal in the settings and the bars actually are set the same or a round about area.)

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah they even said when they were talking about an update that it would just change the way the bars are shown. I did notice though that the dbm meter seemed to move around more so idk if of was trying to be more accurate or what. But I am happy that I swapped phones and don't regret it

JDWallace

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I am just glad this is a post where we are actually discussing something and understanding what we are talking about. No one is going all crazy and stuff. That might explain why we only have a few of us posting...we are grown ups, LOL!

Reactions: carracerz14

jhaire08

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I am just glad this is a post where we are actually discussing something and understanding what we are talking about. No one is going all crazy and stuff. That might explain why we only have a few of us posting...we are grown ups, LOL!

Don't jinx us yet JD lol

JDWallace

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
So I am going to do a Hangout with some of the guys from the AC Podcast Hangout guys and unroot and relock the Original GNex and start over and then flash over the 4.0.4. I have up to 5 business days to return the new one. So if I get the other working better then I will keep it. If not, then I will flash a kernal on the new one and see what I can do about fixing the washout.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay