Galaxy Nexus Factory Reset, not possible after data encryption

coolfx35

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Stupid me thinking encryption my data would be cool.. after I installed custom Rom (Eclipse ROM), now I am having trouble mounting my SD Card.

Now the phone often reboots itself after the ROM install, it's killing me.. so I want to do factory reset, and go back to original condition. but not able to because of the encyption.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Nexus Factory Reset, not possible after data encryptio

I'm sorry, but why would encrypting your data cause you issues like this? Honest question.

I've never attempted to do this with Android, (haven't needed to) but when I was still with the old BlackBerry it was just an option menu setting that I used turn on and off as needed. Like when I actually had data that needed the extra security I would go ahead and encrypt everything. Once the data was on to my PC I would turn it off.

Is that not possible with Android? Again honest question, I fully admit to being a newb when it comes to Android security.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but why would encrypting your data cause you issues like this? Honest question.

I've never attempted to do this with Android, (haven't needed to) but when I was still with the old BlackBerry it was just an option menu setting that I used turn on and off as needed. Like when I actually had data that needed the extra security I would go ahead and encrypt everything. Once the data was on to my PC I would turn it off.

Is that not possible with Android? Again honest question, I fully admit to being a newb when it comes to Android security.

Encrypting isn't the cause of all the issues he was having but it started there, and with trying to flash things and fix it and all more just got screwed up, so doing a factory image restore is the best and easiest way to fully wipe and get back to normal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

Thanks.

So encrypting when its bone stock like mine won't cause the problems he has?

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site

Thanks.

So encrypting when its bone stock like mine won't cause the problems he has?
Well you will have to wipe the phone if you wish to remove the encryption. ICS warns you of this repeatedly during the steps leading up to encryption. It's not a simple box that you can uncheck.

This is what I will have to do because I cannot stand the four digit PIN that having encryption requires because it doesn't support the pattern unlock. I would think a pattern unlock would be more secure than 9999 possible 4 digit PINs.... :-\

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

Oh yeah I see what you mean about the warnings. That isn't bad though. I like how well Android handles a data wipe and then getting set back up again.

Going from the patteren lock to PIN would take getting used to, but still its nice to know it is a option if the need arises.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11