Nexus only charges with some mini-USB cables?

sbosak

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
OK, I'm really stumped. My Nexus charges just fine with a third-party mini (universal, right?) USB in my car, charges just fine with the mini-USB charger I have in the bedroom (another third-party) but doesn't charge with either of the mini-USBs we have in the kitchen (we have a charging valet there for all our phones). Everyone else's phones in the house (A Samsung Resound, Moto Droid X, even Kindle) charge just fine on these kitchen cables. Anyone else run across this problem?

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'm really stumped. My Nexus charges just fine with a third-party mini (universal, right?) USB in my car, charges just fine with the mini-USB charger I have in the bedroom (another third-party) but doesn't charge with either of the mini-USBs we have in the kitchen (we have a charging valet there for all our phones). Everyone else's phones in the house (A Samsung Resound, Moto Droid X, even Kindle) charge just fine on these kitchen cables. Anyone else run across this problem?

Yes, for whatever reason this phone likes some usb plugs and not others. I have used verizon 3rd party usb chargers and one 3rd party car charger just fine, however my old lg charger (including the cable, not just the plug) and a couple others I had lying around the house do not work for neither charging nor data transfer. Its not just you.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think a good answer to this is "Its Random..."

I've had 3 of the same exact cable from same place, 2 work for charging/usb transfering/rooting jobs and the 3rd will only charge...

Note: This seems to happen with any phone, I don't believe its anything GNex related.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
i can agree, the phone is very selective to what we stick in its bum.

when i go to my bros house, it wont accept his htc charger, i tried diff outlets, i tried using the usb charger. nothing.

i have an lg charger at work, it takes it sporadicially

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
F.Y.I. for those that know the difference. The Galaxy Nexus does not have a mini-usb port but a Micro-B usb port.

There are 4 different types of Micro-B cables/connectors: Full-duplex, Half-duplex, power-only, and data-only. There are also proprietary Micro-B connectors with Full-duplex and Half-duplex with either power or no power options. The wire count between these can change from 2-5.

Since these are not labeled in most cases when you buy from the "cheapest you can find" vendors they rarely care to sort their stock since they don't bother to claim which they have.

A Full-duplex cable will be able to sync and charge but on a Half-duplex cable the G-nex will not charge even tho all the power leads are fine. Most older devices work fine on Half-duplex(cheaper) cables.

It is not uncommon for a Full-duplex cable to have one or more leads within the cable to fail and older devices charge fine still. Good quality Full-duplex cables are noticeably thick. The thin Full-duplex cables supplied with devices don't last long because the wires are very thin and flexing will break them easy.

Last edited:

upz3

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Yep mine hates LG. I used one my girlfriend had and it didnt take at all. I use my OEM Samsung charger and two general HTC chargers (work/travel) and they work perfectly.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
F.Y.I. for those that know the difference. The Galaxy Nexus does not have a mini-usb port but a Micro-B usb port.

There are 4 different types of Micro-B cables/connectors: Full-duplex, Half-duplex, power-only, and data-only. There are also proprietary Micro-B connectors with Full-duplex and Half-duplex with either power or no power options. The wire count between these can change from 2-5.

Since these are not labeled in most cases when you buy from the "cheapest you can find" vendors they rarely care to sort their stock since they don't bother to claim which they have.

A Full-duplex cable will be able to sync and charge but on a Half-duplex cable the G-nex will not charge even tho all the power leads are fine. Most older devices work fine on Half-duplex(cheaper) cables.

It is not uncommon for a Full-duplex cable to have one or more leads within the cable to fail and older devices charge fine still. Good quality Full-duplex cables are noticeably thick. The thin Full-duplex cables supplied with devices don't last long because the wires are very thin and flexing will break them easy.

Very good information to know, thank you. I had a feeling it had something to do with the internals but I havent spent much time researching different cable types. I'll remember this next time I'm looking for a charger cable!

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
When I shopped for some cheap USB cables I found Blackberry cables worked fine with my Increditble and now with my GNEX. They are thicker than the standard that comes with the GNEX. Works well with the charger and on usb ports from my computers.

Irishgator

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I have been struggling with cables dying quickly. Are there some recommended "Good Cables" that will work with my Sprint Galaxy S3, Sprint Galaxy S2 and My Nexus S 4G?

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I have been struggling with cables dying quickly. Are there some recommended "Good Cables" that will work with my Sprint Galaxy S3, Sprint Galaxy S2 and My Nexus S 4G?

I've had nothing but good experience with the cables and products I've purchased from monoprice. Inexpensive but quality products. Lots of praise regarding them around the web, so I'm confident it's the company and not just my random purchases.

rworley

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely the usb port that is the problem. My port worked fine for a few months but now the supplied charger or a 3rd party charger will not stay connected correctly. The female end will not stay firmly attached to the male end on the phone. Anyone got a solution?
The phone was a little over-hyped. When charged it's not a bad phone. I bought from Google.They are not taking any responsibility. They said contact Samsung. There may be an iPhone in my near future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49