Wifi during sleep setting

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
When I am home, I am always on wifi. I noticed that when the phone goes to sleep and I wake it back up, it is first on 4G before going back to wifi.

Digging into the setting, I notice there's a wifi during sleep setting.

Settings->Wifi->Menu->Advanced->Keep Wifi on During Sleep.

There are three choices:

1. Always
2. Only when plugged in
3. Never (increases data usage) ---- This is the one that is on by default

Anyone know what the pros and cons of each setting are? I've read always keeping it on even during sleep will reduce battery usage since it's not constantly searching for a 3G/4G signal. But conversely, I can see it causing more battery use if I am away from wifi and the phone is asleep since it will constantly be looking for wifi unless I completely turn wifi off if I am out.

What is your phone set at?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Always on and I turn it off as needed to save battery life no it is not the lazy way but it is better than having an app deal with it wrong.

emmib

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Firstly, the pros and cons of each option.

1) Here, Wifi is always on (duh!). What this means is that your phone is always connected to you wifi network and sending/receiving data as the situation demands. However, the wifi radio's power usage is lowered during extended periods of sleep. For instance, if you stream a lot of music for a long time, the playback could get choppy, etc. This is not a bug, but a feature. Also it might mean that your phone will get stuck in this "sleep state" and look for wifi every time the screen is on (bug).

2) Same as above, however it is only on when charging. Not sure if the "bug" still applies though.

3) Just as the option says, the wifi radios will be always off. You might be getting faster speeds and such over 4G or whatever, but unless you have an unlimited data plan you're going to sip your data limit dry.

Which do I use? Mine's always on. I just prefer it that way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz