Why do I still get calls/texts on iphone when on?

Wolvie12

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a Verizon Nexus but I still turn my iPhone 4 on from time to time because I need to use an app for my business. Whenever I turn it on my calls and texts go to the iPhone instead of my Nexus. I'm pretty sure I would no longer get data on it (I assume data is tied to the micro sim of the Nexus) but I turned off data on the iPhone to make sure. Why do calls and texts go to the iPhone instead of the Nexus?

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Because it's still connected to the network. CDMA phones don't rely on a SIM card. They are always connected to the carrier. That's why you have to turn off your current CDMA phone when activating a new one. You should turn off the phones radios, put it in airplane mode, if you plan to use it as an iPod, etc.

Last edited:

Wolvie12

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize you could use airplane mode and still have wifi on but I see you can. I knew cdma works differently I just didn't realize the iphone would automatically take over from the nexus. Oh well everything is good now. Thanks!

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I've had this happen for a day or 2 on old phones after switching to a new one, but it usually stops. Thought it was weird. I also always make sure my old phone is off when activating the new one. Has to be a bug in Verizon's system I would think.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've had this happen for a day or 2 on old phones after switching to a new one, but it usually stops. Thought it was weird. I also always make sure my old phone is off when activating the new one. Has to be a bug in Verizon's system I would think.

It's actually not a bug, it's the way CDMA works.Only 1 device can use a line. In theory GSM works the same way. But since service is tied to the SIM and not the phone, it's something that isn't run into.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize you could use airplane mode and still have wifi on but I see you can. I knew cdma works differently I just didn't realize the iphone would automatically take over from the nexus. Oh well everything is good now. Thanks!

Glad to have been of service.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
But why does it stop doing it then? When activating your new device the old device's ESN or whatever should be removed from the account right? It has always been kind of confusing to me. I just figured there was some sort of delay in a purging of the old phone from the account.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
But why does it stop doing it then? When activating your new device the old device's ESN or whatever should be removed from the account right? It has always been kind of confusing to me. I just figured there was some sort of delay in a purging of the old phone from the account.

One would think that that's the way it would work but that doesn't seem to be the case. Sometimes the old phone just stops getting incoming calls/messages and other times it doesn't. I have a Droid X that I haven't used in almost a year but if I turn it on it will get some of the messages meant for my Galaxy Nexus.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000