[LINK] This is why your Nexus signal "sucks"

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
That stinks. I wouldn't put up with that. In fact I didn't. When I experienced those types of problems with my Bionic (the one with the "superior" radios) I stopped using it and bought the Nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

My bionic was worse than my nexus as well, expet my nexus signal was fine and the mic failed (multiple devices/stock/rooted/radios/OS/ROMed to no avail, but my bionic had an awesome mic, and only failed when switching to LTE or 3G. I am sure there are enough of us that don't have a nexus because of said issues. The explanation of what should be is nice.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
It can display signal differently than other 4G LTE phones all it wants, as you can see from other reports the phone still has bad reception. People losing data and dropping calls that is bad signal, so study up on something that doesn't matter. The phones radios still suck.

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone understand why my voice reception will work so much better than the data?

That's what I don't understand. Any other phone I've owned on VZW the data and voice either had signal and they work or they didn't. There was no being able to make a phone call, but not being able to load a website. At least I never noticed having voice without having data.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't doubt some people have lousy signal on their phones. From my personal experience it has been fine. My previous phone was an Incredible. At my daughter's house I had to go outside with my Incredible to maintain a conversation. With my Nexus I can talk as long as I want from inside. She is in a valley with no 4G service. I think the issues is with some phones and/or some towers. I have traveled with my phone and every place I have had fine voice service and excellent data anywhere with 4G. I got my first Gnex on release day and another about 4 weeks later. Both were made in Korea and have similar signal.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It can display signal differently than other 4G LTE phones all it wants, as you can see from other reports the phone still has bad reception. People losing data and dropping calls that is bad signal, so study up on something that doesn't matter. The phones radios still suck.

Wonderfully constructive post.. I was just sharing what I felt was an informative and well-written post that addresses SOME of the complaints I see people bring up... namely, the ones which point out that their signal is not as strong as their wife's rezound or razr or tbolt or whatever... and again measured in dBm's... bars are a poor way to measure anything.

I don't lose data on my phone, nor have I had more than 2, maybe 3 dropped calls since I got it in december, and I also don't have any mic problems as others are bringing that up as well. I'm not shrugging off anyone's claims by the way, but I believe that's got to be a hardware issue as most people I chat with aren't having those problems.

Additionally... look.. I'm not some crazy blind defender of the Nexus. I love mine, I love flashing ROMs, I love the speed, I love the screen (mostly.. lets face it, it sucks in direct sunlight), and I enjoy pretty great 4G coverage all around my area so I don't experience data drops and stuff like that........ but its not without flaws. And one of the flaws is just that Samsung's radios are not as good as other manufacturers. That's a fact of life. Would you be surprised and upset because your neighbor's BMW goes zero to 60 faster than your Corolla? No. So you shouldn't be surprised that your wife's Razr has a better radio than your Nexus. Moto makes kickass radios... Samsung, not so much *shrugs*

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
OK so because the nexus is a little a different in comparing signal its fine that the data drops & call drops? I've done everything except swap the actual phone and still have data and phone drops all the time. To those that are tired of hearing about the issue good for you guys that your phone works. Some don't myself included

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
OK so because the nexus is a little a different in comparing signal its fine that the data drops & call drops? I've done everything except swap the actual phone and still have data and phone drops all the time. To those that are tired of hearing about the issue good for you guys that your phone works. Some don't myself included

You misunderstood my point. Or ignored it.

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
You misunderstood my point. Or ignored it.

My post wasn't directed towards you but those defenders of our phone that it is all mighty and think there Is a conspiracy to bring down the nexus or something because someone has an issue. Love the phone. Appreciate the write up. Waiting for my first replacement phone but verizon said its coming from Cali so I wonder if it is a Samsung replacement and not a vzw refufb.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Wonderfully constructive post.. I was just sharing what I felt was an informative and well-written post that addresses SOME of the complaints I see people bring up... namely, the ones which point out that their signal is not as strong as their wife's rezound or razr or tbolt or whatever... and again measured in dBm's... bars are a poor way to measure anything.

I don't lose data on my phone, nor have I had more than 2, maybe 3 dropped calls since I got it in december, and I also don't have any mic problems as others are bringing that up as well. I'm not shrugging off anyone's claims by the way, but I believe that's got to be a hardware issue as most people I chat with aren't having those problems.

Additionally... look.. I'm not some crazy blind defender of the Nexus. I love mine, I love flashing ROMs, I love the speed, I love the screen (mostly.. lets face it, it sucks in direct sunlight), and I enjoy pretty great 4G coverage all around my area so I don't experience data drops and stuff like that........ but its not without flaws. And one of the flaws is just that Samsung's radios are not as good as other manufacturers. That's a fact of life. Would you be surprised and upset because your neighbor's BMW goes zero to 60 faster than your Corolla? No. So you shouldn't be surprised that your wife's Razr has a better radio than your Nexus. Moto makes kickass radios... Samsung, not so much *shrugs*

I wasn't mad at you or was I meaning to talk crap about your post. I have just seen several reasons why this phone's radios suck or that they don't suck it just reads signal differently. The point is I'm frustrated with this phone, because I am one of the people with the mic drop issue, also my phone doesn't drop data it just doesn't have signal in places my other phone did. I have had three Galaxy nexuses and all have had the mic drop issue, and low signal in places my other phone did not. I have had three Samsung phones in a row, Samsung Fascinate, droid charge, and Galaxy nexus, all have had major problems. Samsung just makes great screens but the rest of there hardware is terrible.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

My neighbors BMW can't go 0-60 when it has flat tires. :D