Battery Life

jmorosky

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've been trying out kernels for my SGNEXUS. I tried Franco's M3 and Imoseyon Lean kernel is what I am currently using. I'm running the "stock" IMM76K ROM that was created off the leak. So far I'm getting about 8 hrs with about an hour of screen on time. I'm assuming I need to flash a custom ROM to get the 1 day battery life with 3 hrs of screen on time?

Sent from my Island using my Smoke Monster

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
On Slim with its native kernel (no OC/UV) gives me 2 days with 2+ hours screen time. If I have heavy use like 4+ hours screen time I get about 1 day.

EDIT: I should note that I never use LTE unless I really need to download something fast or it is real large.

Last edited:

jmorosky

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
8 hrs is an improvement from stock. I was only getting 4-5 hrs before. The stats that you mentioned would be amazing.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Get a big battery. I got the Trexcell 3800ma battery from Amazon for $20, I'm getting 24 hours with the stock version of the OS. It makes the phone thicker and heavier but it's worth it.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
8 hrs is an improvement from stock. I was only getting 4-5 hrs before. The stats that you mentioned would be amazing.

Your battery should be lasting longer than that. May want to get Better Battery Stats, or something similar, and see if you can track down what is eating your battery. If you are in low/no signal area much of the time, you may even want to turn your data off. I get no data signal at my desk at work, and turn off the mobile data or my battery would be much closer to your experience.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
yeah, check out better battery stats (on the market to support the dev, or free over at XDA)
set it to partial wakelock and see what is keeping it awake. it is probably a rogue app.
8 hours and 1 hr screen on time is about half what you should be getting.

in a mediocre signal area i get about 16 hours and 2 hours screen on time with the stock battery. however, this is with AOKP and Frankos M3 kernel.

skarletknite

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Get a big battery. I got the Trexcell 3800ma battery from Amazon for $20, I'm getting 24 hours with the stock version of the OS. It makes the phone thicker and heavier but it's worth it.

hi, speaking from personal experience, be careful with those huge batteries. i dropped my old tbolt with one of those car batteries with extended battery door and the screen smashed to pieces. while i realize your screen can be toast by dropping with a stock battery, i had dropped mine many times with the stock without incident. i know it adds even more bulk but i might consider some kind of case....those huge batteries add a ton of weight. i wish someone had warned me about that.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site

That's definitely non-standard. You probably either have something killing the battery, or your battery is just defective. It happens. I have 4 batteries (1 active, 1 spare in my bag, 1 in a charger at work and 1 in a charger at home). 3 of them get about the same longevity out of a charge. One (the one that came with the Nexus, naturally), get's about 60% of what the others get.

Still, I probably get about 8 hours with about 2.5 hours of screen time out of that one.

I'm using one of the "good" batteries now, and I'm at 34% after 9:21 on battery, with 1:58 screen on. Stock everything.

fuzzy gizmo

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I got the hyperion 3800 off of amazon for about $20. I got it like 2 days after I got the phone so I can't really say what the original battery was like but get 3 hours of screen on time with this battery. I'm going to go back to the original and see how much of a difference there is between the two.

I'm using the stock rom with LTE on all day.

jmorosky

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Last night I fully charged my phone and downloaded Better Battery Stats. I woke up this morning and my battery was at 60% It looks like Kik Messenger was blowing up my phone.

Also I did some reading on alarm manager:
Know actions: AlarmManager itself is not generating partial wakelocks but the applications (intents) that were set to be called when an alarm goes off do. Alarms can be listed through the menu "Actions - Alarms".

Here is a comprehensive guide to analyse Alarms: In order to find those Intents run the command dumpsys alarm.

This will dump all the alarm events so you can see what is invoking AlarmManager as a wakelock. From there you can find the culprits that have a lot of wakeups. In some instances, you cant do anything about it (Android System), but in others, you can uninstall or disable notifications. Hope this helps in solving your excessive AlarmManager problems.

Can anyone give me a better idea on how to do dumpsys alarm? and where I can find it on my phone.

HighOnHops

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Running AOKP nightly and Franko nightly with the extended battery (2100mAh) I usually get around 15-20+ hours depending on usage. I have most of my apps that sync (facebook, tweakdeck, etc) set to 4+ hours for sync. Also if you play the * with friends games, they will kill battery. Check the sync settings on those games as they like to keep the phone awake.

jmorosky

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Bought the 2100mAh battery. They have it on sale at VZW for $24.99 so I bought it. I downloaded No Signal Alert App and so far today my phone has lost and regained 4G signal 40 times since 0000 this morning. This might be my culprit. Do you think switching to a custom ROM would help my situation?

jmorosky

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Running AOKP nightly and Franko nightly with the extended battery (2100mAh) I usually get around 15-20+ hours depending on usage. I have most of my apps that sync (facebook, tweakdeck, etc) set to 4+ hours for sync. Also if you play the * with friends games, they will kill battery. Check the sync settings on those games as they like to keep the phone awake.

Are you happy with AOKP? Have you tried other ROMs?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary