Questions Regarding 4.0.4 OTA Update

erik7970

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm currently waiting for the 4.0.4 OTA for my rooted Nexus and I had a few noob questions.

First, I've read several comments where someone claims that in order to take the OTA update we cannot be rooted and others saying that being rooted shouldn't be a problem. I'd like to know definitively which is true so that way I can either keep my phone rooted or unrooted to receive the update. I know I could easily update my phone manually since it's rooted but I'd simply rather have it done via the pushed update.

Also, I'm running Root Explorer and I've renamed some of the apps on my phone to .bak so that way they wouldn't show up or run on my phone. I would have to restore these apps in order to take the update right?

Thanks for the help!

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I am rooted and the OTA wouldn't install because I had ClockworkMod recovery as my recovery. You need to flash the stock 4.0.2 recovery for the update to install.

I used Wug's to flash it and unroot but when I did, I lost all my pictures which I was told wouldn't happen. It did.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
If you're rooted and on the stock ROM... the pushed update will cause the phone to lose root. If you're using a custom ROM... you will not receive the update, its blocked.

For the apps you renamed... not sure since you didn't mention which ones they are but it wouldn't hurt to remove the .bak extension... especially if they're system apps.. could be a problem.

Some were able to keep root by luck... but its highly likely that the ota will break root.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
If you're rooted and on the stock ROM... the pushed update will cause the phone to lose root.
I was unlocked and rooted using your method running 4.0.2 stock and the update would not install.

I had CWM as my recovery and it would not install because of that. I used Wug's to flash the stock recovery and the OTA installed. However, I lost everything on my phone. :'(

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I was unlocked and rooted using your method running 4.0.2 stock and the update would not install.

I had CWM as my recovery and it would not install because of that. I used Wug's to flash the stock recovery and the OTA installed. However, I lost everything on my phone. :'(

I'm pretty sure Wugs toolkit includes the new bootloader which means if you ran the toolkit.. you flashed the new bootloader which is what probably wiped your phone. You can just flash the su zip file to gain root back since the phone was already unlocked. Once the phones unlocked... that's it.. the ota doesn't mess with that.

Doesn't Wugs toolkit make a backup of the phone before it starts anything?

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Wugs toolkit includes the new bootloader which means if you ran the toolkit.. you flashed the new bootloader which is what probably wiped your phone. You can just flash the su zip file to gain root back since the phone was already unlocked. Once the phones unlocked... that's it.. the ota doesn't mess with that.
Thanks. I wish I would have been given a warning about that but no warning.

Doesn't Wugs toolkit make a backup of the phone before it starts anything?
No, it didn't when I pressed Flash stock and unroot .

This really sucks. I asked on several threads and was told that unrooting wouldn't cause me to lose my pictures, but it did.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Next time to make life easier just flash the leaked version... one of the great things of having an unlocked phone is the ability to install the leaks weeks before the carriers ever push them out... its the same stuff.. different method.. but no waiting. ;)

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I wish I would have been given a warning about that but no warning.

No, it didn't when I pressed Flash stock and unroot .

This really sucks. I asked on several threads and was told that unrooting wouldn't cause me to lose my pictures, but it did.

Yep.. most likely what happened. I never used his toolkit before but when you returned the phone to stock it most likely unrooted and relocked the phone... in which you then ran the toolkit to unlock the bootloader again (wiped phone) and rerooted.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Next time to make life easier just flash the leaked version... one of the great things of having an unlocked phone is the ability to install the leaks weeks before the carriers ever push them out... its the same stuff.. different method.. but no waiting. ;)
Thanks, I wanted to receive the update OTA so I could have a baseline idea about how my phone functioned with stock 4.0.4. I wanted it directly from VZW so that there would be no question in my mind that it was installed properly.

I really wish there were a warning about wiping your phone when you use Wug's toolkit. I could have just done a factory reset, it would have been faster and I would have known to get my pictures off my phone before I did it.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Yep.. most likely what happened. I never used his toolkit before but when you returned the phone to stock it most likely unrooted and relocked the phone... in which you then ran the toolkit to unlock the bootloader again (wiped phone) and rerooted.
I don't think it relocks and then unlocks the phone. You have to do another step to lock the phone and I didn't do that step.

What I did left my phone unrooted running stock 4.0.2 but still unlocked.

The200sx

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Any chance that you could give those of us a walk through to manually flash it and where to get these roms? I'm not necessarily lazy for searching how to do it, it's just this is a special scenario that some of us are encountering. Sorry to hear of your loss Gnex Girl.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Any chance that you could give those of us a walk through to manually flash it and where to get these roms? I'm not necessarily lazy for searching how to do it, it's just this is a special scenario that some of us are encountering.
I would like to know how to flash the stock recovery without wiping your phone.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Some users said it wouldn't install because of root, but it was most likely because it wasn't the stock recovery. Fastbooting stock recovery, either through fastboot on a computer or through Wug's, should do the trick. 2defmouze laid out steps in a thread in the development forum for just this very issue.

For installing the OTA, the manual update in my thread is the OTA. There is no difference; therefore, doing it this way should be of no issue if anyone is worried about not getting "the" OTA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781