4.0.4 on Galaxy Nexus

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Experience depends on 4G signal coverage in your area. There are pockets of areas for me in Baltimore Washington metro area that have poor 3G/4G handoffs which I am told is a problem related to Verizon LTE server authentication. The "drop off" issue when the phone switches between 3G and 4G will apparently continue until they fix that on their end.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

da_goldstein

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I have no change in the handoff between 3g and 4g. I actually lose phone calls also now.

Verizon is sending another replacement. Should I change to att? They will let me out of the contract.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

johnnex72

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have no change in the handoff between 3g and 4g. I actually lose phone calls also now.

Verizon is sending another replacement. Should I change to att? They will let me out of the contract.

For what it's worth, I bought my Nexus in late April.? Experienced the typical parade of horribles (handoffs of infinite duration, call drops, mic cut-outs, very poor signal strength).? 4.04 cured the handoff issues, but for me, neither the signal strength issues or the call issues.

I called a CSR who immediately transferred me to level 2 tech who was also very nice.? I explained my problems w/ the call issues, and while talking (I was on my wife's rock solid Dinc), the tech support tweaked something that helped my signal and call quality, but she still sent by overnight a Cert Like New replacement.? Spoke w/ her at 6:00pm, phone arrived next day by noon.

The sticker on the new device said it was manufactured in Korea, 11.11, STA date of 4/20/12, and it shipped w/ ICS 4.02.? Quick reboot and 4.04 arrived OTA.? My first device was a 11.12 Chinese built device. Strangely, the replacement did not have the "made by Samsung" logo on the sticker, which my first Chinese device had.

My replacement works great. Signal strength is better, calls are great, and to top it off, it was a new device with a Cert Like New sticker on it (unless VZW now resets the RTN figures). The RTN view showed no use but my own, and had a beautiful "NO" in the Reconditioned Status field.

Anyway, that's my story. Great customer service, great device, couldn't be happier. Bout to get to work on this keeper.

PS- at the time I was speaking with the CSR and tech support, I was a bit ticked that I'd signed a 2-year renewal for this device (thought I got a sweet deal by talking a store rep into $199 instead of $299, only to see the price drop to $199 three days later, and then drop even more over over the ensuing few weeks). But - when talking to any CSR or any person who fields complaints all day for a living, I try to put myself in that person's shoes and be as nice as possible. Maybe it helped. Also, when she said things like "take your SD card out before you send your orginal back" i would gently correct her, but hopefully avoided sounded like an obnoxious know-it-all. Displaying a little knowledge, but not too much, goes a long way.

Wow. I've had a lot of coffee. A lot.

northbanker

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

Is this handoff dropping problem, mostly a function of the phone or the network? IOW, is Gnex the only phone that has this problem? Or does it have it worse than others?

da_goldstein

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
How do you get to that screen to see if it was refurbished or not? I think I am getting the same phone over and over again. Number 4 coming tomorrow.

gmatteo

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Interesting about the manufacturing locations. I too have suffered though all the issues you describe. My biggest issue was the mic cut-out problem on a lot of my calls. This is a serious flaw that should never be.

After the update the mic cut-out problem still existed for me. I called and asked for a replacment and was sent another GNex. My orignal phone was made in Korea and the replacement in China. Unfortunately, the replacement phone has the same mic cut-out issue. Verizon is now replacing this device with a RAZR Maxx. I am extremeley disappointed! The GNex was wonderful excepct for the mic cutting out on calls - I simply can't deal with that any longer :'( I don't think I will be happy with the RZAR.

I also noticed a big difference in screen color when I compared the made in China Nexus to the made in Korea Nexus. The Chinese manufactured device looked better to me.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Wow my signal never goes under 98dbm its horrible

Where are you? Do you have good 4G coverage? Do other phones perform well on 4G?

Where I'm at, Verizon's signal is just all sorts of spotty. I get -65 in my bunker of an office in DC, but -104 in my living room in Virginia. But I know it's not the phone's fault -- I've never had a phone on Verizon that got signal in my living room -- 3G or 4G.

CBCstillmatic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah 4.0.4 did not help me at all either. I'm on my 6th nexus and now stuck using my fianc? old iPhone until I can decide what to do. The phone is way to unreliable for me to use daily. I take call and have gotten in trouble already at work when the phone doesn't ring and I get a random voicemail alert that don't wake me at night.

I'm ticked I now wasted an upgrade on this phone too. They acknowledged the issues and even said they reported them to Samsung. They do not want to send me another nexus and will not give me a maxx. I can have a regular razr or rezound certified like new. I don't want neither nor to be forced to have a phone I do not want and will not be happy with for another 18 months. Those are my options they gave me - keep it, try another, or take a different cheap ass model I don't want.

I should be allowed out of my contract. I have 6 lines on 2 accounts with them and this is the first time I'm feeling kind of burnt but I'd pay too much in ETF's to move these lines else where over 1 phone. I even asked to grant me an early upgrade on my account and I'll pay for another phone when one I want comes put still extend my contract again and forget this phone existed but no.

Sorry bout the rant.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The only issue I've been having since 4.0.4 could be OS related, or it could be Verizon.

I'm on unlimited data. I've noticed that the 3G-4G-3G handoff is a LOT faster and smoother now. However, I'm noticing that the phone drops to 3G quite often when the data connection is in use -- such as uploading pics and vids to Drive or streaming YouTube, etc -- even if I'm in a place with great signal (like just now, I'm getting -70 in my office, but it dropped to 3G as I was uploading a video to Drive). Very annoying. Hard for me to say if it's 4.0.4 or whether Verizon is throttling me (I don't use THAT much data, but certainly more than 5 GB per month).

northbanker

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

That's interesting but it's 6 months old. It would be good to know if VZW's network still has this alleged authentication flaw? And if the solution is solely on the network side or also on the Android side?

Sadly even if this is revolved it doesn't sound like it will fix the problem with calls that get muted, one-way-audio, mic-off or whatever you want to call it.

droogin

Banned
Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I have talked to tech support and they ate know of this and have been "trained" on the issue of the change over from cdma to wcdma

droogin

Banned
Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
The transformation into the new network will not be finished till late 2013 so its safe to say that in areas this will still occur

ztrigger

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me or does Google+ no longer permanently "disable"? Every time I fully shut down my phone it comes back as "enabled". Nothing else re-enables itself - all the Verizon bloatware stays disabled...

I have this same issue. On 4.0.2, I disabled Google+ once and it stayed disabled. Once I installed 4.0.4, Google+ re-enables itself all the time.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I have this same issue. On 4.0.2, I disabled Google+ once and it stayed disabled. Once I installed 4.0.4, Google+ re-enables itself all the time.

It's after the app updates -- or at least it has been on mine. I've had to uninstall updates, then quickly disable automatic updates before it downloads and installs the new one, THEN disable it (it will re-enable if you uninstall updates, disable, then try to kill the download -- the market, it seems, resurrects it). Otherwise it comes back after the app updates. It's annoying, because now I will get daily notifications that an update is available for G+ when it pings the Play Store, which I have to dismiss. The only alternative is to disable market notifications, but then I'd have to manually check for updates that require manual update -- which is more obnoxious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv