4.0.4 on Galaxy Nexus

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the home button is quick, rotation too. I also notice the angle of the battery graph being flatter when the screen is asleep.

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I never had any issue with signal but I seem to be showing more bars for what that's worth. It's too early to tell on battery life. I'll no more tomorrow after work. But I will say my phone is much faster and smoother. The only time I notice lag is when I use the pattern unlock. I never had that issue before .

charveldude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Speed and signal both seem improved for me. Battery life is still not especially great, but might be slightly better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Dirty Crow

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I notice no difference what so ever. Perhaps when I get to work to and run a couple of speed tests, hammer it with the hotspot and see how fast the battery drains. Battery seems to be still horrible though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Signal strength is now reporting one bar higher at home than it used to. Homescreen transitions seems faster, less lag. New "sleep button lockscreen timeout" feature added so you can delay when the phone locks if you have a lock screen enabled (Sense has had this for a while, so happy it's now a stock feature). Will be testing other stuff but generally the phone seems faster. Portrait to landscape transition is OK, not much faster in Chrome. Shortcut to Google Reader app now just says "Reader" instead of "Google Reader." News and Weather app updated and works faster.

Will check other stuff.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Launching apps and backing out of them with the back button seems faster. Loading the multitasking menu is faster. I have the official version of Google Wallet (using the web market trick) and I was able to update it through the market on the phone with no issues. Works as flawlessly as ever. Landscape keyboard in Chrome at least is a bit faster and the portrait keyboard feels faster. Automatic brightness transitions from dark to bright are smoother, although it is still too aggressive on keeping the screen darker in seemingly brighter light. Volumes seem the same. Sounds aren't louder than the settings I had previously. When you hold down the power button, you can now select three volume level settings (besides airplane mode and power off): sound, vibrate, and full on silent. Nice. Camera app updated. It performs better and the settings icon has been changed to make it more obvious, but image quality remains the same at least indoors. Bit disappointed but there's only so much they can do.

Last edited:

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Last thing: it seemed the update turned off "location and Google search" under location services in settings. You may want to check if it's enabled if you had it set that way after updating.

it usually takes a few days for an android update to fully settle in, or at least it has in the past. Right now, I'm very happy with this update. It definitely tightened up things where I saw some lag and improved performance issues we've all had. As for the 4G/3G hand off, I'll test that tomorrow morning when I pass through a 4G dead zone on my commute. Signal strength is reporting higher but quality and consistency remain to be seen. The battery life and signal were nightmares on a trip I had this weekend prior to updating. Very happy with this update so far.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
im experiencing chrome to be slower. when it loads the pages i often visit it kind of freezes and lags then lets me scroll thru the site normally.

macten52

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Only had it 24 hrs. but here goes...battery life seems better but will evaluate after a real workday. solid connect to 4G all day again see what happens as move in and out of 4g areas. volume not much difference still much softer than my Moto.

daikens28

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I picked up the update on saturday afternoon.

The 3G/4G handoff is pretty much instant now and data doesn't really drop anymore. In terms of overall signal strength, 3G is pretty much solid as it was before the update for me. I do connect to 4G alot more now as I think it updated something in there to connect better to 4G. I still don't receive good overall signal indoors however vs other phones and I honestly think this must be the way the phone was built(I've been doing little tests with my phone vs rezound and razr). I'm going to try to replace my SIM and then phone to see if it's an issue with this specific device.

Home screen and overall performance feels more fluid and a bit smoother. The volume still isn't loud.

I believe I get a little bit better battery life as well. At first, the android OS was still running at 20% or higher but today its down to 2-4% now so that should improve vs what it used to be on the older version.

One thing that is interesting to note is that verizon didn't really mention on their changelog anything about signal or battery improvements. Some said they didn't want to list all the bugs but If you look at the Xoom update or any of the Razr updates, their list is much more extensive. Just worth mentioning.

sdavid631

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
i see no difference in signal strenght, my wifi isnt as strong (huh), battery life is the same or maybe even worse- overall- no improvements to my phone- and for this- I have been waiting since January.
Oh my goodness-
Had know- I would have given up on it months ago.
So be it- 1 very unhappy Nexus owner.

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
i see no difference in signal strenght, my wifi isnt as strong (huh), battery life is the same or maybe even worse- overall- no improvements to my phone- and for this- I have been waiting since January.
Oh my goodness-
Had know- I would have given up on it months ago.
So be it- 1 very unhappy Nexus owner.

If you are still that unhappy after the update call Verizon and they should offer you a different phone. Last week I was told I could get a Razr maxx or a rezound but I'm holding on to my Gnex.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Only differences I notice are...

1. Navigation finally says street names
2. Screen rotation is faster
3. "Android system" in battery stats which used to be 2nd only to Screen is now way now the list near the bottom

Most importantly, my nexus ran perfectly fine before the update so just glad it didn't break anything.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Based on my initial use, I think that those who had good signal due to their geographical location probably won't find as much benefit. But being downtown Chicago my signal was constantly changing, causing huge battery drain. With seamless hand off now battery life is better. Usually down to 50% near end of day and now I'm still at 74% with similar in the office usage. Signal strength shows as improved, compared to coworker who's phone still hadn't pulled update. Mine was 10-15 better. I showed him how to force upgrade to 4.0.4 and his signal then improved in line with my readings.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I was getting about 2 bars 4g now it says full bars.hand off between wifi to 4g and 4g to 3g was really slow b4 with loss of data. Now no data drop and really fast hand off. battery seems to be the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC