Verizon Nexus OTA 4.0.4 red triangle exclamation point

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I am rooted and have an unlocked bootloader but have stock rom and stock kernals and stock radios.... everything else stock.

I get the "new update available" OTA click to restart and the phone restarts. I get the android with a blue spinning something in his back with the progress bar moving. at about 25% it always changes to the android on his back with a red triangle exclamation point. Nothing happens from here.

I can do a battery pull and get the phone to start fine again.

I've seen these problems in other posts, but theres always something thats not the same as my phone for example the person flashed a rom or kernal. I have not.

any help?

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Do you have stock recovery or CWM?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I have the same problem. I have CWM .. I assume we need to flash back a stock recovery??

If so... How do I easily do that ? Thanks!

gwhamil

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem under the same circumstances. How do I flash back to standard recovery?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
There's been a few posts on this scattered about. You need to use fastboot or a toolkit to flash the stock recovery.

Or you could install the OTA manually.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar situation and prior to using this method I renamed the "recovery-from-boot.p" file and removed the .bak extention from the end. I then tried the three step and got the red triangle. After reboot I repeated and all worked this time.

Edit: Using Root Explorer

Reactions: dmmarck

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar situation and prior to using this method I renamed the "recovery-from-boot.p" file and removed the .bak extention from the end. I then tried the three step and got the red triangle. After reboot I repeated and all worked this time.

That will work if the file has not been deleted and merely renamed with the .bak extension. If the file has been deleted, you have to flash it back.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm.... I just checked using Astro and recovery-from-boot.p is there .. no .bak extension.

I have Nova Launcher installed as a system app from back in the beta days... would that affect the ability to apply the update file and cause the red triangle?

gglassick

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I used Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit. I'm guessing that is stock?

I'm 95% sure that Wug's flashes CWM onto your phone. You need to flash stock recovery back.

To check, power down your phone then hold down volume UP, volume DOWN, and POWER. That gets you to the bootloader. Once in the bootloader, use the volume buttons to make a selection. Find "Recovery," press the power button, and then let me know what you have.

If you have CWM, you need to flash the stock recovery using Wug's or fastboot. There's a bunch of threads floating around re: how to do that.

mozy

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

What folder does the stock recovery file go?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze