Galaxy S3 or keep GNex?

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I preordered the Galaxy S3 on my daughter's line because she's been sitting on an upgrade since last Fall and the Droid X she's using is now falling apart.

I am trying to decide if I should keep my GNex that I have had since release day or pass it down to her and keep the S3. I am not sure what to do and what to tell her. LOL. Any thoughts from those of you who have been keeping up with the comparisons between the 2 phones?

We both need a good phone with good reception. I think my GNex doesn't have a loud enough ringer or speakerphone. Also, the battery life is relatively poor with fairly little use (at least 8h at work on just standby and I still can't make it till I go to sleep). Otherwise, I love my GNex and really have no complaints. The interface is nice and easy to use, the web browsing is very fast, and the few games I do play (Tiny Tower, etc) are all smooth and fast. I think I am just a typical user, although my daughter tends to be much more multimedia oriented... like youtube and skype with friends and so on.

Thanks for any advice! Katherine

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I'd want my daughter to have a phone with the best reception possible in case of emergencies.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
You love you galaxy nex, so why would you want the s3. Seems to me you just want something new and shiny. Let your daughter get the s3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I would have to agree here.

It's nice to have the newest, shiniest thing.

But there is no denying the Nexus has a weaker signal (at least compared to my Droid Razr MAXX) and a larger thirst for battery

I would want my child to have the phone with fewer issues and I suspect that will be the S3

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Tough call. Because the GNex is all about the stock Android experience, if you don't mind Touchwiz, it might be worth it. You may still want to wait on it however. The Nexus isn't a year old yet.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like your daughter needs something with better battery life, so maybe let her get the S3. But, if you think your GNex is reliable and would trust it in an emergency, then buy the extended battery and give the GNex to her, and you keep the S3.

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered the sg3 as well. My Gn has been pretty good to me since launch with only minor issues.. Reboots every other week, bad hand-off between 3g & 4g (eliminated by the 4.0.4 update) Having the pure ics experience has been nothing short of fantastic, coming from blur & Sense (Razr, OG droid, Incredible, Tbolt). I've never experienced Touchwiz. I too use my Gn heavily and primarily for media like OP, Music streaming, youtube, hulu, netflix etc. I'm still going to keep my Gn but, my reason(s) for trying out the sg3, are few:

1) The processor in the Gn runs really hot.. The S4 in the sg3 is supposed to run cooler and also be much easier on the battery drain.. I have the factory extended battery for my Gn but, it's still not sufficient and getting the behemoth aftermarket extended battery wasn't going to work for me.
2) Sg3 has gsm radio's which big red say's will activate some time this year. This is good for me since I do travel out of the country.

Like I said, they were few..

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I think I need to read about this Touchwiz interface a bit more. I love the interface of the GNex and had other phones (briefly) with complex interfaces that drove me bonkers (HTC). So I guess I have to see what exactly Touchwiz does.... Where can I read about what it does differently than the stock ICS?

Oh, and to the person who said I want the latest and shiniest device -- darn right! That's a mom's perogative over her teenager though, right? You know, for all the other torture I currently have to put up with. ;)

The good news is that I can play with both phones hands on as soon as VZW gets their act in gear and ships the darn phone.

Katherine

Reactions: yugopalmguy

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I am actually waiting for the RAZR HD personally. I really like the ability to hack into the Galaxy Nexus, however, Motorola's build quality is so much better than Samsung, and with the Razr HD - get the better screen, ICS and the build quality. Going to see what the dealio is with that....

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I personally like the Galaxy Nexus because of the stock android experience. That's why I chose it over the HTC Rezound. Does anyone know if Touchwiz in the Galaxy S III is the same version as the Galaxy S II?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Its not the same, its supposed to be better

Most reviews I've read still seem to indicate its not as good as stock ics

Obviously that's more of an opinion

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I love my GNEX but if I had an upgrade right now I would probably use it on the SGS3.

I loved my SGS2 and can only imagine how much better the SGS3 is. Also, TW was not bad at all on the SGS3. I did not mind it all. Much more easy on the OS then Sense and everything just ran smooth.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Watching some demos on youtube right now about TW. Looks interesting, esp the motion activated features. Also like the many common controls available on the main dropdown menu... Like switching wifi and bluetooth on/off. Really miss those toggle buttons on my Droid X...

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Watching some demos on youtube right now about TW. Looks interesting, esp the motion activated features. Also like the many common controls available on the main dropdown menu... Like switching wifi and bluetooth on/off. Really miss those toggle buttons on my Droid X...

To each their own. The motion activated features sound good but in reading many of the reviews, are gimmicky.

The common controls in the dropdown menu can easily be achieved in a ROM for the Nexus like AOKP

At the end of the day, I hear enough complaints about useless bloatware and desire to root the S3 that I think it reaffirms my decision to stick with the Nexus and vanilla ICS

That hardware does make me a bit envious though...

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Also like the many common controls available on the main dropdown menu... Like switching wifi and bluetooth on/off. Really miss those toggle buttons on my Droid X...

3rd party toggle switch apps take care of that. Much more customization over stock.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I personally liked touchwiz when I had my charge. I like it more than the sense UI. I was always a fan of HTC but that changed when I used touchwiz. I don't see all the probs about why people don't like it. But exactly what was said a few posts up...to each their own. I'm set with my nexus. Its been reliable and I'm happy with it overall. Although I'm a sucker for the newest device. I would like to try the s3 though.

Dropped from LiquidNexus1.4 via Tapatalk2

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat...I love my gnex, but I've been realizing it kind of lags behind in certain aspects. Mainly the camera. When I bought it I didn't think the camera would be a big deal, but since I don't have a point and shoot my phone camera has become increasingly more important. To me the s3 has everything the gnex has, better hardware in most aspects, with touchwiz over the top. Which is the major draw for me. That and I feel the hardware will hold up better in the future.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
honestly I think I will throw the ICS+ launcher over touchwiz.
Dont get me wrong I LOVE my gnex but I just can not take the lack of reception it has and over the past few weeks it has gotten to the point that the phone is almost unusable.
This phone will almost never sent a picture message while on wifi so I have to shut wifi off when I want to send one, ya a bit of a pain but I do it, now my phone is not connecting when off of wifi, I just get grey bars, for a while I could toggle airplane more and be fine but more recently I have had to reboot the phone and even then it doesnt always work.

That is a bit much for me sadly :'(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21