Wifi issues with D-link router

tayswg20

May 10, 2011
Visit site
So I've been discovering that my D-link dir-615 router is not playing nice with my GN (i think). The issue is just with the Google Play store and Youtube. I started to notice that my apps were re-downloading very slowly whenever i flashed a new ROM. What i mean by "slowly" is that it takes forever to start downloading each new app when the last one is finished downloading and installing. It just hangs in the "downloading" faze (where the blue line is spinning around and around" for about a minute to sometimes 3 or more. When it actually starts to download its fine and downloads quickly (20mb connection). Its just the time between the apps. At first i thought this was just the way the GN/ICS handled downloading apps. But, today I tested it at my parents and it was completely different. As soon as the one app was done downloading and installing the next one would start to download almost immediately, just like all my other Android phones before this one. I guess if this would be the only issue i could live with it. But, yesterday i was trying to watch a couple Youtube videos and the same thing seemed to happen. It took forever to initially start to buffer the video, it just sits there with the spinning circle thing. When it gets past that part then its ok and seems to buffer fine and usually plays the whole video without a hitch or stopping. What really puzzles me is that web browsing is almost instantaneous like it should be. Its just those two apps that are having trouble. Also I should add that as soon as i switch to 3G/LTE the issues go away. I can only assume that its my router and my GN not playing well together. I've been trying to trouble shoot this myself for over a day now and it seems I've tried everything. I've tried changing channels, changing to b/g only, changing to n only, factory resetting, and almost every other setting that i think could be related. The only thread i could find was this one http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...greyed-out-but-works-other-networks-help.html , I tried all those suggestions as well with no resolve. Like i said I've searched Google and tried everything that seemed to work for others with similar issues. I did read a few times that D-link routers and Samsung phones sometimes do not seem to work well together but ever other person that had an issue seemed to resolve it with one of the setting changes i tried. One more thing. In the thread I linked to it says that if the wifi icon on the GN is blue then it means that its connected to the Google servers. But even when its blue, I still have the issues. Also, my router works seamlessly with my laptop, Touchpad, and all my other phones I've had. I have no more ideas left other than to go buy a different brand of router. I'm open to any and ALL ideas!

Edit
I've also tried the app "set DNS" and that didnt work either

Last edited:

tayswg20

May 10, 2011
Visit site
So just an update. After much searching and hair pulling I gathered from other peoples experiences, that some routers just don't seem to work well with Samsung phones as well as other ones do. This might vary from person to person but for me this turned out to be true. I installed Connectify me on my laptop which turns your computer into another wireless network. So now when i connect to my laptops wifi network, all my problems go away and my phone works just like it does when i connect to my parents router. No more waiting to download apps. No more long buffering on Youtube. I have no idea what made the difference other than it must be the brand of my router (dlink). Hopefully this helps others that are having trouble.

inthefad3#AC

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey thanks for the post, I too was having this same issue. After looking for an answer everywhere and not finding it, I decided to just upgrade my router's firmware. The app used to manage it said no update was available but I went to the DLink website and found plenty of updates. Having uploaded the firmware and setting up my network again, the issue was fixed! It may have been the firmware, it may have been a setting or a combination of the two. Hope this helps you or anyone else out there having the same issue.

Reactions: tayswg20

tayswg20

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey thanks for the post, I too was having this same issue. After looking for an answer everywhere and not finding it, I decided to just upgrade my router's firmware. The app used to manage it said no update was available but I went to the DLink website and found plenty of updates. Having uploaded the firmware and setting up my network again, the issue was fixed! It may have been the firmware, it may have been a setting or a combination of the two. Hope this helps you or anyone else out there having the same issue.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot. Even though conectifyme is working for me, I'd rather just be able to conect directly to my router. Hopefully I'll end up with the same results that you did. :)

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've just started getting into routers a bit, and I've found that even hardcore gadget loving nerds tend to never update or optimize their routers. Even if you have an old linksys, it's usually worth updating it to get the most out of your connection. You're paying your ISP for it after all.

Kunji

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
i have that same router and have never had any problems. i also have always kept my router updated with the latest firmware.
PS. i can smell your avatar's cologne from here... :)

Reno Skyy

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the same exact issue with the same router an its not just on my gnex it also happens with my Xbox 360 the slim on it just won't connect sometimes I have to reset the router I just think its the router its self either that or the phone has trouble connecting to n-networks I had to switch my router from wpa to wpa2 just so my Xbox connects an it made my nexus connect a bit better an faster but there's times that my phone just wont connect!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Both my OG Droid, and Droid 2G had issues with my N router. I ended up buying a D router and plugging it into my N router to get good signal.

Vitis Vinifera

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I had a D Link router, and the phone would bounce between 1 bar and no wifi connection, despite being mere feet apart. It couldn't find an antenna, I thought years ago I had an antenna screwed into the back of my network card to get my ex-gf's tablet to connect, but I couldn't find the antenna now, not sure if the D Link router was supposed to have one. There are wifi settings in the old router's control panel, so it had that capability.

Got a new D Link router a few weeks ago that has the antennas built into the router, and it works really well on my GN. It's a DIR-655. Normally it's supposed to be very simple to install, but because my older modem doesn't have a username (just a pw), I couldn't go through the auto install. Phone support had it done in minutes with a manual install.

tayswg20

May 10, 2011
Visit site

I finally got a chance to upgrade my routers firmware tonight, and it did the trick. :) I think the reason that this router works fine with some and for others, like me, it's wonky, is because it looks like this router ships with different versions of firmware throughout the last couple years. So if it came with the latest version out of the box, then you probably aren't having problems with it. But, if you got one that shipped with an earlier version, like me, then you'll likely have issues.
Thanks again for the solution. :cool:

mostlyundecided

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Wifi issues with D-link router - HOW I SOLVED ISSUE

HOW I SOLVED THE ISSUE: I have a DLINK DIR-655 use WPA2 only AES and assign IP with DHCP. I too had all the same problems as above. I did need a firmware upgrade and applied that, but I still could not connect my Galaxy S3, kept getting authentication error. I finally read where you should go to the wifi available networks list and long-press on your router name and you get an option to connect or configure connection...I selected configure connection and saw it was similar to the regular-press advanced settings...WITH ONE EXCEPTION...there was a box named WPS...I read up on WPS which is Wifi Protected Setup and decided that who better to know how to configure my phone to work with my router...THAN MY ROUTER!! :D and that's just what WPS does.

SO here is how I FINALLY got my S3 connected to my router using Wifi Protected Setup WPS:

ADVANCED USERS: to save you all the reading below - simply forget all your wifi settings for the connection on your S3, enable WPS on your router, use the advanced settings>WPS option using the Button push option on both the router and the S3...or pair using PIN (If WPS is not an option on the advanced menu on the S3 make sure it is enabled on your router), another way to get WPS option to show is long-press the connection name in the wifi networks list, and use advanced settings to set up WPS should be the same menu but for some reason on my S3 the WPS option only came up after I long-pressed to get to the advanced settings.

NOT-SO-ADVANCED USERS, here are your directions:

1. In your router's setting enable WPS WIfi Protected Setup, this is critical or it won't work. I found the settings on the DIR-655 on the menu ADVANCED>Wifi Protected Setup I checked the ENABLE checkbox, then went down to the ADD WIRELESS STATION section at the bottom and noted that there is a "ADD WIRELESS DEVICE with WPS" BUTTON - DONT PUSH IT YET! Keep this page up on your router settings...Pick up your S3 and go to Step 2

2. in wifi settings on your S3, select your router name and click "forget network" to erase all those silly entries you've been trying all day that didn't work. If you did step 1 right you will see on your phone, in the available networks list your router name will have underneath it "Secured (WPS available)" If it doesn't say this go back to #1 and read your router instructions to see how to enable WPS...until you see the "Secured (WPS available)" under your router name.

3. On the same list of available networks on the S3, you see your router name with "Secured (WPS available)" under it - select your router name..
3a. DISREGARD the password field...leave it blank. Dont check the Show Password checkbox. DO CHECK the "Show Advanced Options" checkbox. Go to step 4

4. You will now see that there is an option in the Show Advance Options dialog called WPS, and it will say "OFF" click on this and I used the PUSH BUTTON option, in your router's WPS settings there should be a ADD WIRELESS DEVICE Push Button option <this is the page you left open in your router menu in step 1>, you click the button on both the router and the phone and they start talking to each other! The router configures the phone to work on the router...when done my S3 FINALLY said it was connected, and it's been working beautifully since.
4a. If you don't see WPS as an option...then you don't have WPS enabled correctly on your router, go back and recheck the instructions for your router on how to enable WPS, which is Wifi Protected Setup.
4b. You can Use a PIN instead of the Button option, where you pair them using the same pin number, I had two pin choices on the S3 menu and didn't feel like reading what the difference was so I just went for the button option simply because...it was easy.

Hope this helps a few people connect who no matter how they played with their router settings it didn't work...note that my S3 would connect to my router if I disabled Authentication (changed the WPA setting to NONE)...so I knew it was something to do with the WPA settings, but WPS will do all that figuring things out for you, why spend the night reading forums when it is so simple to just use WPS. Hadn't noticed this as an answer anyone had suggested, so posted it.

Last edited:

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Wow... glad I have a Netgear. I just connect with my WiFi paraphrase using my Maxx and my wife's S3. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dahlheim

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
i have had similar issues with some routers and i can certainly add to this helpful information that on one particular router, i was able to completely normalize things by changing the channel on the router. whenever the selected channel was high (above channel 12, i think), things messed up. picking a lower channel fixed it for me.

androidsurfer

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Mine is D-Link WBR 1310

Below are the fixes :-

Security Mode : WPA2 Auto Wireless Security
Cipher Type : Auto
Type : PSK

After the above changes, Nexus 10 is able to connect to the D-Link Router.

androidsurfer

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
In addition to that, I have made changes to the frequency settings by increasing from 1 to 6.(read in forums that we have to increase by 5. If it is 5, increase to 11.)

I have made the above change since I am not able to connect other devices to the router once I connected nexus-10 to the d-link wbr1310 router.

After the above changes, I can connect all devices(nexus 10, android phones) to the d-link router.

dasjenige

Jul 30, 2017
Visit site
I would also like to share what worked for me.
Initially Samsung S7 Edge wouldn't connect to Wi-Fi via D-link DIR-320 router: it detected the network, but made no attempts to connect, or when forced to connect manually, nothing happened. A dozen other devices in the household were working with this router seamelessly.
Updating firmware to the latest official version, or using alternative versions DID NOT work.

After experimenting with settings a bit, I discovered that these ones worked!
Particularly, changing WPA2 to WPA-Auto-Personal, and TKIP + AES to TKIP.

Снимок.JPG

Hope this saves someone the hours I spent in frustration, Google, and trial & error :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49