Facebook high-res photo syncing after 4.0.4?

anon(20593)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Did the 4.0.4 update improve this for people? The photos from FB in my phone's People list are still pixelated. I wanted to see if there's some way of getting the high-res pics on my phone without using an app like Haxsync.

Thanks!

jamontoast1291

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I think you're referring to two separate issues, neither of which were addressed. First, there is still no syncing between Facebook contacts and Google contacts. Second, the contact photos are still low quality and resolution.

jennyfur

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I think you're referring to two separate issues, neither of which were addressed. First, there is still no syncing between Facebook contacts and Google contacts. Second, the contact photos are still low quality and resolution.

Well there's a facebook sync showing up in my accounts and sync area of the settings, and it does in fact sync successfully now. If they recently got it working with google's contacts again, then I won't need to bother syncing with haxsync as well. Anyone without haxsync installed care to comment?

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Nexus last night and was looking into this issue. Im currently running HaxSync and interested in what others have found.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
When I had Facebook installed I was also able to sync contacts, they must have fixed that issue. I still prefer Friendcaster so I use that and mobile Facebook on my browser when need be. I wish Facebook would stop restrictions on third party applications, it's pretty annoying. Friendcaster also syncs contacts just fine. Never tried haxsync but it sounds like it's not needed any longer if you're on 4.04 anyways.

Sent via my Galaxy Nexus
60% of the time, It works every time!

ByteMaster0

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Never tried haxsync but it sounds like it's not needed any longer if you're on 4.04 anyways.

Sent via my Galaxy Nexus
60% of the time, It works every time!

When I attempt to add a Facebook account, it loads the blue Facebook start screen and just stays there. Nothing seems to be able to get it out of that funk. Anyone else able to add their Facebook accounts after 4.0.4?

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
When I attempt to add a Facebook account, it loads the blue Facebook start screen and just stays there. Nothing seems to be able to get it out of that funk. Anyone else able to add their Facebook accounts after 4.0.4?

Same here, stock 4.0.4 you still can't sync Facebook contacts using the Facebook account method. Heck, even if you could, it probably would be low rez anyway.

nickrouwhorst

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I didn't realize this had been added in the 4.0.4 update so thanks for the heads-up. I had the same thing when trying to add it in the accounts page. If you go into settings>apps>facebook and I cleared data and cache. This will basically log you out of facebook. Then go back to your accounts & sync page then try to add it again. It worked for me. It logs you in then brings you into the facebook app, just back out to the accounts page again and it was there for me. Select it then check the sync contacts box. I still can't get the photos from facebook to sync with the contacts though, unless it is just going to take a little bit.

jamontoast1291

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
You can add the account, but it won't sync. My first post still stands...

On stock 4.0.x you CAN'T sync Facebook contacts without a third party app. And the low res quality of contact pictures is a separate issue.

n0obpr0

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The latest update didn't improve the pictures in people. Use Friendcaster as another option and you will see the difference in the pictures. :)

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
There is an app to help with that.. called "HD Contact Photos"...

They discussed this issue on the last episode of "All About Android"..
All About Android 63 | TWiT.TV

It's the very last part of the show.. Kind of explains why the pictures look so horrible and how to change it.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I didn't realize this had been added in the 4.0.4 update so thanks for the heads-up. I had the same thing when trying to add it in the accounts page. If you go into settings>apps>facebook and I cleared data and cache. This will basically log you out of facebook. Then go back to your accounts & sync page then try to add it again. It worked for me. It logs you in then brings you into the facebook app, just back out to the accounts page again and it was there for me. Select it then check the sync contacts box. I still can't get the photos from facebook to sync with the contacts though, unless it is just going to take a little bit.

Is it syncing photos for you doing that? I don't think it can. There used to be a trick where syncing your Google contacts via exchange on an iOS device and setting the iOS Facebook app to sync contacts would get everything to sync on Android, but that was eliminated with an iOS update awhile back.

anon(20593)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
The issue I'm talking about high-resolution photo syncing, not syncing contacts from FB.

Thanks for the tips on Friendcaster and HD Contact Photos. I plan to try them out now and let you know what I find.

anon(20593)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
@Pheaton, did Haxsync sync high-resolution photos of people from FB in your Android contacts list? In my case, it was fine the first time around, but the photos mysteriously went back to being low-res 1 day later.

Last edited:

balaz

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I recently wiped my phone, downgraded to 4.0.2 and installed 4.0.4 via the OTA. Before I had done any of this I was rooted and had a hack that was supposed to allow for native Facebook contact sync but it never worked beyond being able to check "sync contacts" on the Accounts and Setting page.

Long story short, I can still check "sync contacts" but nothing happens. I'm no longer rooted and I thought the hack would have been wiped when I upgraded OTA. My guess is anyone that can actually check this option perhaps once had been rooted and used a rom which allowed native syncing but I would love to better understand why I have this issue.

effapple

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I was able to add Facebook to my accounts, and it says it syncs, but it doesnt sync the pictures to my contacts. I found an app called Facebook Contact Sync. This allows you to sync pictures to your contacts.. and its free. Also allows you to choose the quality of the pictures.. 5* from me!

briankurtz79

May 18, 2010
Visit site
You can add the account, but it won't sync. My first post still stands...

On stock 4.0.x you CAN'T sync Facebook contacts without a third party app. And the low res quality of contact pictures is a separate issue.

not sure why everyone thinks you cant sync fb contacts on stock 4.0.4. you just have to do it manually. kinda sucks but go to a specific contact. hit the 3 dot button/edit. then hit the 3 dot button again/join and choose that contacts fb contact. synced. you have to do it manually to each contact which is a pain but it does work.

jamontoast1291

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
not sure why everyone thinks you cant sync fb contacts on stock 4.0.4. you just have to do it manually. kinda sucks but go to a specific contact. hit the 3 dot button/edit. then hit the 3 dot button again/join and choose that contacts fb contact. synced. you have to do it manually to each contact which is a pain but it does work.

Everyone thinks you can't, because you can't. What you just described isn't syncing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance