Terrible Bluetooth sound quality since 4.1 & 4.0.4

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
My Bluetooth sound quality has gotten really bad since 4.0.4 update. This is the only issue that I have with my Galaxy Nexus.

The change in sound quality directly after 4.0.4 when using BT is very obvious. Two headsets tested.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited:

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what to tell you. My Bluetooth quality is great. Then again I'm using a $130 Bluetooth so it better be great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Terrible Bluetooth sound quality since 4.0.4

that's not even a reply. did you read my query? it talks about the sound quality AFTER the upgrade. I have two Plantronics Voyager PRO+ BT units (considered one of the BEST on the market) and they both sounded great before the 4.0.4 upgrade and now they sound like sh*t. it's not the BT it's a bug in the update.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Clear everything you have paired and pair them again. That's where I would start, but you've likely done that. Any updates available for the headphones in terms of firmware? I haven't had an issue with BT audio on 4.0.4. Use it every day.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

just called VZW, of course they had no solution at this time and I don't blame them. I really like VZW customer service, been with them for about 13 years or so and never have had any issues with their customer service.

also as above, Samsung customer help had no resolution at this time, just saying that they are working on another software update.

I could barely hear the VZW lady on the phone. My BT sound quality and I use two Plantronics Voyager Pro + headsets, has gone to sh*t. If I use the phone itself the sound quality is great. it's just the damn BT software.

Pairing was deleted, phone restarted and repaired. Also MusicFX was cleared and phone restarted.

installed volume+ paid and then the free. none worked!

Paid said, it works only with certain type of BT.
Free said, it doesn't work with ICS at all.

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

I'm having issues when paired to my car's bluetooth. It was okay before the update, and now it flat out sucks.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
that's not even a reply. did you read my query? it talks about the sound quality AFTER the upgrade. I have two Plantronics Voyager PRO+ BT units (considered one of the BEST on the market) and they both sounded great before the 4.0.4 upgrade and now they sound like sh*t. it's not the BT it's a bug in the update.

Yes I read your query. My sound quality in my Bluetooth is great. Havent had any issues at all. For what its worth I have the Motorola Elite Silver. Before and after update for me with NO issues. Sorry for your troubles.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

waj2278

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I use BT audio every day and since 4.0.4 I haven't experienced any problems. But then again I'm only using it in my car... No headsets to test. Maybe something went screwy in your update that's giving you the problems?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Central Forums

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

well, I am not alone. lots of people have this issue. Samsung has acknowledged it (on the phone) and the said they are working on an update.

And Volume+ app doesn't work on my phone. I posted a query on the app developers forum but no reply yet and others have also posted the same issue.

jennyfur

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

My bluetooth sounds ok, the problem is now some of my devices won't stay paired. Didn't have this problem before the update. I dock my phone in a bluetooth speaker dock at night and have it speak the weather in the morning and play radio. But now I have to pair it manually in the morning to get it to work, which defeats the purpose since it's supposed to be an alarm clock and I'm still in bed.

briankurtz79

May 18, 2010
Visit site

i have the sprint gnex and it came with4.0.4. the Bluetooth has been a horrible experience. in my truck it always connects and will route calls but goes mute during media playback half the time. the only fix is to reboot the phone. when the media does work its only audio. if you try to play a video or game over bluetooth audio the feed will chop and break up to the point of being unusable. one of the main reasons but not the only reason im selling it for the gs3

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

I have Moto Elite Flip bluetooth and have always had a buzz when in a call using bluetooth both before and after update.

I have Volume + paid version but I don't know what to try to get rid of the buzz.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

It would help if there was some description of sound problem other than it stinks or sucks.

I use blue tooth headphones on a daily basis but my moto rocker S9 HD just bit the dust or I guess just the right ear piece. I just switched to my wife's S10 headset and after listening two two records I felt the sound was not as full as I recall. It to me sounded a bit flat and tinny. I guess I could try some wired ear buds to compare. With so many changes I was doubting my own ears but after reading this thread I think some testing is in order.

Ace4

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

I'm having issues when paired to my car's bluetooth. It was okay before the update, and now it flat out sucks.
Mine was mediocre before, now it's just unacceptable. It randomly drops words for both parties.

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Mine was mediocre before, now it's just unacceptable. It randomly drops words for both parties.

this is exactly what's happening with me...i thought it was my car, but my trophy works flawlessly...and i never had a problem until i loaded the official update

ianken

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I get this on cm9

Audio call quality is very glitch.

A2dp does not connect reliably. When it does it is frequently in a state where it periodically drops out making music unlistenable.

There are audio.conf hacks that make it a bit better but compared to my dead sensation its a total mess.

I use two devices: factory handsfree(crap Audi solution)and a separate a2dp device for music.

This setup was not a problem for my sensation nor my hd7. Only the gnex.

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

I had an issue with it as well. I am currently running a hybrid. Newer 4.0.4 ROM and older 4.0.4 radio and no issues anymore.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

Regarding the BT issue. To be more accurate of the problem, I understand that I can be heard good, it's just that using BT now, after the update the following happens.

1- The overall volume is down by about 50% (seat of the pants of course).
2- The incoming voice through the BT oscillates. Meaning for every other word the volume drops. Yes, it's a pain.

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

I've been on 4.0.4 for a while now. I haven't noticed a difference in sound quality.