Terrible Bluetooth sound quality since 4.1 & 4.0.4

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Terrible Bluetooth sound quality since 4.0.4

good questions. If someone posts it, I'll try it too w/o having to root.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

UPDATE: I never got a reply to the letters I sent to VZW and Samsung corporate offices.

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

Download this zip file and extract it somewhere you can remember like the desktop.
[mirror]

Here is where you can find the download for the Radio:
Radios

The FA02 Radios worked best for me. For your convenience, I have included all the files you need in 1 package regardless of Operating System.

If you unlocked your bootloader, you will not loose any information. If you didn't, you will loose all of your information. There is probably a way to root the phone and install clockworkmod recovery, but it doesn't sound like thats what you want to do. If you unlocked your bootloader, proceed below:

Download clockworkmod recovery. We won't be installing it, just booting into it. Keep this .img file handy (I rename it to recovery.img. It makes the last steps easier).

(All Files included in zip folder I'm providing)
Download the Android SDK if you would like, all you need though is the adb and fastboot files for your operating system. For windows, its 4 files (adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll, AdbWinUsbApi.dll, and fastboot). For linux/mac its adb and fastboot. Fastboot is not included with the sdk and either needs to be compiled or you can download it from the internet.

Make sure you have drivers installed (windows only). If the commands later don't work, its likely you don't have the appropriate drivers. I included them (you're welcome).

Unzip the folder I'm providing you. Place the contents somewhere you can easily navigate to. Desktop is a popular choice regardless of OS. The next bit is instructions specific to your OS.

Windows:
You need to get the address of where you saved the folder... specifically the Windows folder inside. Below is an example, but if you are having trouble, you can right-click the folder in the Top navigation bar and select copy address or copy address as text (both work the same for this).

Open start and type in cmd which should open a command prompt window. Type the following 1 line at a time:

Code:
cd C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\Desktop\AdbFastboot\Windows
adb push 4.0.4Radios.zip /sdcard/
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot recovery.img

Your phone (if the bootloader is unlocked) will boot into clockworkmod recovery where you can then select:

install zip from sdcard --> choose zip from sdcard --> 4.0.4Radios --> reboot

You're done! You will not be able to update the device as the radios will be on the incorrect version. For future updates (ie Jelly Bean) you must flash back to the crappy radio first, then accept the update. All your files and profiles will remain unharmed in the entire process. You can get a copy of your current radio in the post above that I linked. You will need to repeat the same process above to flash the current radio software.

Mac/Linux:

Open up terminal. Its in your Utilities folder in Mac. You can Drag and drop the folder into terminal if you cannot figure out its address. Follow the next Steps:

Code:
cd ~/Desktop/AdbFastboot/MacLinux
./adb push 4.0.4Radios.zip /sdcard/
./adb reboot bootloader
./fastboot boot recovery.img

Your phone (if the bootloader is unlocked) will boot into clockworkmod recovery where you can then select:

install zip from sdcard --> choose zip from sdcard --> 4.0.4Radios --> reboot

You're done! You will not be able to update the device as the radios will be on the incorrect version. For future updates (ie Jelly Bean) you must flash back to the crappy radio first, then accept the update. All your files and profiles will remain unharmed in the entire process. You can get a copy of your current radio in the post above that I linked. You will need to repeat the same process above to flash the current radio software.

killroy420

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like its time for you guys to head to the rooting section and give jelly bean a shot :)

If that doesn't fix it, then my guess is you have a hardware problem. When my phone was on 4.0.4 I experienced no issues with my Bluetooth.

I tried to think of something witty, but this is all I could come up with.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like its time for you guys to head to the rooting section and give jelly bean a shot :)

If that doesn't fix it, then my guess is you have a hardware problem. When my phone was on 4.0.4 I experienced no issues with my Bluetooth.

I tried to think of something witty, but this is all I could come up with.

Jelly bean doesn't change the radio software. On the newest radios everything was the same in ics/jelly bean. I never had an issue until I got the newest radio. Fa02 has been crystal clear for me in the car.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Question for you guys? Do you always have poor Bluetooth audio etc? I have a Jabra Wave, which I'm fairly sure is a decent device. When I'm in my car and my gnex is in my center console everything is absolutely perfect. I can drive at 65++mph with the windows down and and the person on the other end can't tell I'm not in a library. Basically elimates any other noiese but my voice. Of course, that's the Jabra wave doing its thing, but the gnex does it's job fine. Now as soon as I put my phone in my pocket = WEAKSAUCE. Other person can't hear me and/or it's choppy. Right ear and right pocket. I've only ever used the Wave with my gnex but it must be the gnex. Absolutely my only complaint with my phone and it's very avoidable for the most part. That what you guys experience? Mind you I never had radio issues from luunch day, but did notice I get LTE in buildings I didn't before after the newest radios.Guess I'll have to try to pair w/ another headset but what do you guys think?

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

hi. I think my problems, certainly with the audio on my side, started after 4.04. Of course it could also be due to apps I have downloaded, i have tried removing certain apps the interact w/Bluetooth . Multiple headsets from Moto, PLT and Jawbone, am a Bt fanatic, also have a BT enabled home phone that I used to be able to use to pick up calls from my GNEX. My problem is in and out, sometimes garbled sound in my BT earpieces. My earpieces work crystal clear w/A2DP apps like navigator, music etc.

I appreciate all the directions other posters gave on flashing radios,etc but I'm not up for it.

I'm going to wait for one more update if it comes before my year is up, to see if it replaces radios or improves, otherwise, will try customer support which I know is a fruitless excercise sometimes.

adambomb6

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
New Radios!

Ok, I'm going to take the plunge and see if the new ones are better than the FA02 I'm using. Hope the audio is good on the new ones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

famousface

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

Hey, I just want to point out that the FA02 radios are the way to go if you have sound quality issues. I've been using them for a while. Before that the EK05/EK02 sounded fine but the switching was horrible and also the mic would stop working randomly. I was hoping the newest "new" radio would be better, but it's not when it comes to sound quality including bluetooth. This might not be true with all phones, but it seems to be the case for some (including mine). The FA02 has less popping and less gargled sound. I think it is slightly louder also which means the noise canceling in the bluetooth doesn't cut out conversation so much. In theory, your particular phone could respond differently to different radios. You may want to try out a few and see which one works. You will need to be rooted and follow the guidelines. The radios can be found here:[Radios][VZW] All Radios in Flashable Zip - Galaxy Nexus - RootzWiki
It's not a perfect solution but at least livable.

Reactions: samkatz

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the "update".

As a non-rooter, non-flasher, I will hope that when the official OTA comes it will help my horrendous BT. Otherwise, I'm in the hands of Verizon's support team/exchange policy.

I love everything else about this phone....(other than having to carry around a Mophie battery pack all day).

Hey, I just want to point out that the FA02 radios are the way to go if you have sound quality issues. I've been using them for a while. Before that the EK05/EK02 sounded fine but the switching was horrible and also the mic would stop working randomly. I was hoping the newest "new" radio would be better, but it's not when it comes to sound quality including bluetooth. This might not be true with all phones, but it seems to be the case for some (including mine). The FA02 has less popping and less gargled sound. I think it is slightly louder also which means the noise canceling in the bluetooth doesn't cut out conversation so much. In theory, your particular phone could respond differently to different radios. You may want to try out a few and see which one works. You will need to be rooted and follow the guidelines. The radios can be found here:[Radios][VZW] All Radios in Flashable Zip - Galaxy Nexus - RootzWiki
It's not a perfect solution but at least livable.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

I just got a rather what I would call insulting email from a higherup in the VZW echelon. They certainly need a lesson in how to communicate with their better customers. I have been with them for about 13 years. I pay my bills on time, I buy their most expensive phones.

the core of the letter is that, they would offer me a one time refurbished Motorola Razr. Take or leave it.

What an insult. This is like Mercedes customer service would say, sorry you are having trouble with one of our S Class, we are willing to offer you a Honda Civic certified preowned.

Disgusting.

The first thought that I had after reading that note from a so called Executive Correspondent was that VZW I am switching to another carrier. Arrogant penny pinchers with no sense of customer service.

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

idiotic. just ask someone else there. Walk in to a store. You are a lifetime annuity for Verizon if they keep you happy.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

I didn't respond to that idiot who wrote me, I emailed his boss citing my disbelief in how insulting that offer is. and complained, that email is a text book example of what NOT to send to one of your better customers.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the "update".

As a non-rooter, non-flasher, I will hope that when the official OTA comes it will help my horrendous BT. Otherwise, I'm in the hands of Verizon's support team/exchange policy.

I love everything else about this phone....(other than having to carry around a Mophie battery pack all day).

They don't. I installed the leak with radios and they don't change a thing from bluetooth experience with the newer ics radios. The fa02 radios work best still (with jelly bean/or ics). Despite what the previous poster said, you do not need to be rooted. If you've read the posts about exchanged phones, they all seem to be garbage in some form or another. If youre going to wipe your data with exchanging a phone, might as well only do it once and do it right by unlocking the bootloader.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

I didn't respond to that idiot who wrote me, I emailed his boss citing my disbelief in how insulting that offer is. and complained, that email is a text book example of what NOT to send to one of your better customers.

although I emailed his boss, the same dude resent his previous email, as if my emails are being intercepted by him or are never seen by his boss (more likely never seen). So I wrote again to his boss' boss this time. I'll see if the same due will copy and past his original note again.

renewme

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Yes I read your query. My sound quality in my Bluetooth is great. Havent had any issues at all. For what its worth I have the Motorola Elite Silver. Before and after update for me with NO issues. Sorry for your troubles.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I know of 3 people with Verizon Galaxy Nexus in the last 2 months. All came with latest upgrades (ICS of course) and we all have terrible blue tooth reception. It is quite a problem for a lot of people.

If it works good for someone else I wish they would keep it to themselves and let some one who might have some thing helpful to say respond. 4g and android ain't worth all that much if it takes two hand to make a call!:-\

Mhart57472

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

well, I am not alone. lots of people have this issue. Samsung has acknowledged it (on the phone) and the said they are working on an update.

And Volume+ app doesn't work on my phone. I posted a query on the app developers forum but no reply yet and others have also posted the same issue.

Which model Samsung do you have? I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I have the Motorola Elite Sliver as well and receive the buzzing as well.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I know of 3 people with Verizon Galaxy Nexus in the last 2 months. All came with latest upgrades (ICS of course) and we all have terrible blue tooth reception. It is quite a problem for a lot of people.

If it works good for someone else I wish they would keep it to themselves and let some one who might have some thing helpful to say respond. 4g and android ain't worth all that much if it takes two hand to make a call!:-\

Its the radio. You can read my guide as rufflez on how to remedy the issue.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

adambomb6

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site

I tried the new Radios for a while, but I'm back to the FA02 radios. Those are the only ones that I get excellent bluetooth call quality on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

but do we know for sure if the 4.1 SGN VZW really fixes the bluetooth in call sound quality issue or at the least improves it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae