Thinking About Getting a Tablet

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
What about the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity 700?

That's the other one that has really got my eye. However, if the Nexus 7 really is $150-$250, I think I can sacrifice the bigger screen for (1) it being a Nexus device, and (2) a cost savings of between $450 and $350.

I use the iPad for reading and light gaming; nothing really extensive however. Videos are better on my MBP, so I use that for HBO, Netflix, etc. For me, the 7 is the perfect size for what I'd use it for. And on top of that? Easy to unlock/root/flash.

Reactions: GNex Girl

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
That's the other one that has really got my eye. However, if the Nexus 7 really is $150-$250, I think I can sacrifice the bigger screen for (1) it being a Nexus device, and (2) a cost savings of between $450 and $350.

I use the iPad for reading and light gaming; nothing really extensive however. Videos are better on my MBP, so I use that for HBO, Netflix, etc. For me, the 7 is the perfect size for what I'd use it for. And on top of that? Easy to unlock/root/flash.
What I would like to do is replace my laptop. Really all I use my laptop for is email, internet and writing docs. Does Open Office work on Android?

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
So, the idea of rooting and flashing ROMs on a tablet just made the wiggle in my pants go-a jiggle.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the Nexus tablet 7"? How would they do a keyboard for a 7" tablet? I don't see it happening

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

The Droid 4 did it wonderfully on a 4" screen I see no reason a 7" wouldn't work. I love my Transformer and use it everyday but I have to say I would really like a 7" tab also. Not to replace my TF-101 but for other purposes. I always have my TF-101 docked where ever I go so it is not as light and portable as I would like. I wouldn't be looking forward to a dock anyway just a large battery to start with would be fine. I also hope they don't go nuts trying to make the thing SUPER thin. I want something I can grab onto.

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the Asus transformer eee and love it. The prime is nicer if money isn't am issue. I'm a huge fan of Asus. However, if you plan on using the cam on it, I'm not impressed with it much (I didn't care because quite frankly, I think its silly when I see people using tablets as a camera, especially with a phone in their pocket?)

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
What I would like to do is replace my laptop. Really all I use my laptop for is email, internet and writing docs. Does Open Office work on Android?

Hate to say this, but the only tablet that seems like it may do that are the ones with keyboard docs, or, more recently, that Microsoft Surface that just debuted that's able to run regular apps and not just mobile apps. That's going to be the first of the true replacements, IMHO.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
ultrabooks :)

tabs arent ready for prime time yet imo.

Agreed. I've tried with my iPad; from Word Processing to basic productivity stuff, it's just not there. It's great to study from--particularly if you have pdf outlines or books and such. But past that, they just aren't that productive unless you have an "app for that," and sadly, most of those outside of "industry based developers" are a bit...gimmicky.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I've tried with my iPad; from Word Processing to basic productivity stuff, it's just not there. It's great to study from--particularly if you have pdf outlines or books and such. But past that, they just aren't that productive unless you have an "app for that," and sadly, most of those outside of "industry based developers" are a bit...gimmicky.

i would love an air or an ultra book ... if they were built to have reasonable specs for more than 1.5 years ...

what i really want is a chrome book that runs android instead of chrome ... maybe we'll see one in the next year or two as phones start booting linux natively ..............

as far as tabs go, for me i see them as toys. i will probably get the google 7 tab, but it figures to be a coffee table book-type thing for me. can't see myself doing much of anything real on those things.. will probably just end up playing droid risk or something :)

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
ultrabooks :)

tabs arent ready for prime time yet imo.
yeah, I was thinking that too, just wanted to check out the tab as an option. I just hate to spend so much money when I really only email, surf the internet and write on it. I don't game or watch movies or do spreadsheets or photoshop or anything like that on my laptop.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
i would love an air or an ultra book ... if they were built to have reasonable specs for more than 1.5 years ...

what i really want is a chrome book that runs android instead of chrome ... maybe we'll see one in the next year or two as phones start booting linux natively ..............

as far as tabs go, for me i see them as toys. i will probably get the google 7 tab, but it figures to be a coffee table book-type thing for me. can't see myself doing much of anything real on those things.. will probably just end up playing droid risk or something :)

I just can't wait for the development :).

Case in point--I had to repartition my MBP last week, and so for 3 hours I was "working" from my iPad. Was literally the worst 3 hours of my life.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
So not even word processing on a tablet?

there's definitely a ms word app for tabs ...

i see kids in school taking notes on ipads with docks but they dont have the test software so you really still need a laptop.

i think a chrome book does everything you want with a nice pricetag (google drive for a word processor or probably an expensive ms word app as well), but same issue with the test software (not assuming you're a student, just saying so).

i would expect in the next 2 years that regular laptops will be phased out and air/ultra books will be the norm, but until then they're gonna have pretty steep price tags it looks like ...

just making guesses tho :)

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
there's definitely a ms word app for tabs ...

i see kids in school taking notes on ipads with docks but they dont have the test software so you really still need a laptop.

i think a chrome book does everything you want with a nice pricetag (google drive for a word processor or probably an expensive ms word app as well), but same issue with the test software (not assuming you're a student, just saying so).

i would expect in the next 2 years that regular laptops will be phased out and air/ultra books will be the norm, but until then they're gonna have pretty steep price tags it looks like ...

just making guesses tho :)
I just need to be able to write, no tests for me anymore.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
the other thing is, if you get an ipad thats like 500, plus the dock to type is probably a hundred ... at that price point you can get two chromebooks ...

i'd look into the next chromebook to launch (if another one does), otherwise i'd check out some netbooks or a cheaper line of ultrabooks.

or the current/or next transformer prime since it's meant to be used with a keyboard dock..

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
The Droid 4 did it wonderfully on a 4" screen I see no reason a 7" wouldn't work. I love my Transformer and use it everyday but I have to say I would really like a 7" tab also. Not to replace my TF-101 but for other purposes. I always have my TF-101 docked where ever I go so it is not as light and portable as I would like. I wouldn't be looking forward to a dock anyway just a large battery to start with would be fine. I also hope they don't go nuts trying to make the thing SUPER thin. I want something I can grab onto.

I guess its possible, but I still just don't see it. Especially with it being a Nexus, I think it will be kept to all touch screen. Plus, being a Nexus and not a Transformer may keep it from a keyboard.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC