Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Don't spend time writing such long posts because no one is reading them.

MFi49.jpg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

McSlappy

May 13, 2012
Visit site

I am reading dmmarck's post. I don't understand all that's being said but that's because I'm not a lawyer and the reason for my OP in the first place. Had a question and was looking for opinions of people that actually understand this stuff.

Reactions: jroc and qbnkelt

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I read it. UNCLE, UNCLE, UNCLE!!!

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Looking at my data usage from may to june. It looks like I've used about 1.3gigs of data. Which is almost nothing. Although I wouldn't willfully agree to a tiered plan... a 4gig plan should be more than enough for me. Just my 2 pennies

Dropped from LiquidNexus1.4 via Tapatalk2

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Only thing I got out of this thread is if AC ever gets sued, they need only to browse the board for sound legal advice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
its legal if they want to do it. really,whos gonna stop them?? the fcc...dont make me laugh,they are disorganized and do squat for consumers in the end. what? spend large amounts of cash to sue them? most lawyers wont touch it...waste of their time...if any would take it. as it is,these companies add legalize mumbo jumbo to their terms of service that screws you out of any say on anything. sure you could pursue action,but id wager it goes no where and fast.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I am reading dmmarck's post. I don't understand all that's being said but that's because I'm not a lawyer and the reason for my OP in the first place. Had a question and was looking for opinions of people that actually understand this stuff.
There is nothing in his post that provides you a solid answer to your question, which was my point. He has told you that the FCC stuff is above his pay grade.

The place to start researching is the terms of the licenses for the 700 MHz spectrum. If there were someone who knew the answer to your question posting here, it would have been answered by now. It has not.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I for one have been reading them.

As for the rest of this thread and how it has now gone way off topic I will say unless there is something reasonable to add to this topic "Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?" then we might as well shut this thread down.

AC Advisor dmmarck merely got involved in discussion as he is encouraged to do as a "volunteer" AC Advisor and expressed his opinions and views on the topic. Given that dmmarck has openly admitted he is a tax attorney this naturally makes him the target of discussion at times which he expects but never expects any special treatment due to this fact of his given career in law.

In the end this has turned this thread into your personal debate with dmmarck and not the topic or general membership as it should be.

So with that said lets get this thread back on topic.

Paul627g,
Forums Moderator.

Reactions: jroc and beerhound

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
your personal debate with dmmarck
Actually, it was his debate with me. My initial post was not directed toward him. I responded in a half joking way to another poster who made bold statements about what was and was not material in the VZW contracts. dmmarck then jumped in to debate me. So let's be clear on what happened here.

McSlappy

May 13, 2012
Visit site
How I ended up finding that article in the first place was researching if I could somehow put a prepaid SIM card in my VGNex. If in 2 years I get dropped from unlimited, with my usage I get away with a data only plan. If they refuse to give me a data only sim for my phone I could get the Wifi 4Glte hotspot for my mobile data and then use skype on my phone. Full skype access with phone number/sms is only 10 bucks a month.

While at work I have full wifi access so anyone needing to call me just calls my skype number or sms. When at home the same. When I'm traveling I'm probably in my car which means if someone calls me they'd get my phone through skype on wifi through the mobile hot spot. Generally don't watch netflix or stream anything while in a moving car anyways so mobile data needs in reality are rather limited.

With the new data plans at their minimum we're looking at $40 for Verizon's unlimited phone and SMS vs $10 for Skype's unlimited phone and SMS.

Then you add data which is $50 for 1gig shared starting. Or you can have a wifi hotspot which shares your data plan to all your devices anyway at $50 per 5 gig.

Or am I seeing something wrong here? Then I discovered that article in the OP about how they can't limit you for moving sim cards and accounts between devices blah blah. Anyways that's how this thread got started.

Sorry if it created an off topic debate. But as I found out just now they're also changing the hotspots to put you on that $50 per 1 gig plan as well which pretty much means bye bye to Verizon if they ever take me off my current plan. I don't need mobile data at those prices.

Last edited:

johnnex72

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it was his debate with me. My initial post was not directed toward him. I responded in a half joking way to another poster who made bold statements about what was and was not material in the VZW contracts. dmmarck then jumped in to debate me. So let's be clear on what happened here.

OK. Just so we are all clear:

what happened is you graduated from a 2nd tier law school within the last 4 years, didn't read your VZW plan agreement which says any disputes are to be resolved through arbitration, meaning that materiality, for the purposes of this thread, is not what the "judge says it is" (and in any event materiality is usually a mixed question of law and fact), and forgot that a good attorney should never feel compelled to display mastery of the law on an internet forum dedicated to a freaking phone. Get back to billing hours.

johnnex72

May 1, 2012
Visit site
OK. I just read my post. Overly harsh and off-topic. Sorry Gnex Girl.

And dmmarck - thanks for all your helpful tips on this forum. Much appreciated.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
How I ended up finding that article in the first place was researching if I could somehow put a prepaid SIM card in my VGNex. If in 2 years I get dropped from unlimited, with my usage I get away with a data only plan. If they refuse to give me a data only sim for my phone I could get the Wifi 4Glte hotspot for my mobile data and then use skype on my phone. Full skype access with phone number/sms is only 10 bucks a month.

While at work I have full wifi access so anyone needing to call me just calls my skype number or sms. When at home the same. When I'm traveling I'm probably in my car which means if someone calls me they'd get my phone through skype on wifi through the mobile hot spot. Generally don't watch netflix or stream anything while in a moving car anyways so mobile data needs in reality are rather limited.

With the new data plans at their minimum we're looking at $40 for Verizon's unlimited phone and SMS vs $10 for Skype's unlimited phone and SMS.

Then you add data which is $50 for 1gig shared starting. Or you can have a wifi hotspot which shares your data plan to all your devices anyway at $50 per 5 gig.

Or am I seeing something wrong here? Then I discovered that article in the OP about how they can't limit you for moving sim cards and accounts between devices blah blah. Anyways that's how this thread got started.

Sorry if it created an off topic debate. But as I found out just now they're also changing the hotspots to put you on that $50 per 1 gig plan as well which pretty much means bye bye to Verizon if they ever take me off my current plan. I don't need mobile data at those prices.

The buckets change depending on what devices you have on your plan.

You could just use a Tablet or a MiFi as your Hotspot and no activate a smartphone over cellular, just tether it.

LTE iPad: $10
10GB data: $60

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
You could just use a Tablet or a MiFi as your Hotspot and no activate a smartphone over cellular, just tether it.

LTE iPad: $10
10GB data: $60
All voice calls through skype? And you would always have to have your iPad with you to make a call from your smartphone via tethering to the iPad? And the skype charge is an additional $10/mo?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
All voice calls through skype? And you would always have to have your iPad with you to make a call from your smartphone via tethering to the iPad? And the skype charge is an additional $10/mo?

You can go with a MiFi for $20 if you didn't want to lug around a tablet everywhere.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney