Google said GN will get Jelly Bean, do they mean the VZW GN?

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
now that Google has officially said the Galaxy Nexus will be the first smartphone
to receive Jelly Bean (Android 4.1), do they mean the GSM GN or does that
include the VZW GN as well?

Thanks! :)

reidoreilly

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
i think he said it will be avalibale "OTA" starting mid-july, but then i believe he also said it will be released to developers and the open source community before then, so my guess is that even if they dont release it OTA right away for the verizon gnex it will finds its way onto the device eventually.

doomtuba

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Considering how long it took us to get the 4.0.4 update I'm 100% positive we won't see an official update in July. Probably closer to the holidays. I've resisted rooting and ROM'ing my GNex, but this may be the tipping point.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
so once again we can thank Verizon Wireless for not having to worry about getting updates for at least several months? :(

Last edited:

Earlian

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Not working for Google nor Verizon i would say that they are directly referring to the GSM version. BUT .. That will eventually include Verizon as the first as well, yes. The big question is "when" will Verizon decide to sign-off on the testing process. If you chose not to root and wait for the OTA for 4.0.4, you know how long that can take.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
We'll be lucky to see thing on the Verizon phone before September. At this point no one can be surprised. That is why the Galaxy Nexus is my last Verizon phone.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon Gnex will get it OTA probably 2-3 months after mid July. That's how long they spent testing the last OTA.

Us rooted, ROM users will have it less than a week after the source code is released :)

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
OMG! Are we going to start this crap again?

Don't you know? If people stop complaining about Verizon, then the terrorists will have won!

If people want to about Verizon holding back the update, then that's on them. I'm going to have it soon after it's released because my phone is rooted and ROMmed.

dmedesha

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with ICS 4.0.4 on the VZW GNex. From my perspective, Verizon can take their time debugging JB before OTA'ing it. At least we know we're on the list.

Everyone who ROMs it and posts their feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yay! We're starting this again now too!
It's been at least a month since rooted Nexus users have been able to feel Elite compared to stock Nexus users

I know.. My elite-ness tank was boiling over. Thank goodness we have rampant, baseless, ignorant speculators to keep me entertained.

Not trying to sound cool and elite, trying to encourage people to unlock and enjoy their phones.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It's not about being elite--it's the reality of the situation. Verizon will hold it up, whereas those who have rooted/unlocked their device will be able to eat some jelly beans earlier.

The fact that there's an OTA coming to the 6,000 free GN devices from the IO means we'll probably have some form of JB sooner than later.

Again, it's not about elitism and shifting the conversation to that ignores the actual, practical realities of the situation--those dependent upon Verizon must wait a bit longer. Those who are not dependent upon Verizon...don't. There's no elitism, social status, whatever within that. Just cold hard facts.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It's not about being elite--it's the reality of the situation. Verizon will hold it up, whereas those who have rooted/unlocked their device will be able to eat some jelly beans earlier.

The fact that there's an OTA coming to the 6,000 free GN devices from the IO means we'll probably have some form of JB sooner than later.

Again, it's not about elitism and shifting the conversation to that ignores the actual, practical realities of the situation--those dependent upon Verizon must wait a bit longer. Those who are not dependent upon Verizon...don't. There's no elitism, social status, whatever within that. Just cold hard facts.

Well said. You some kinda lawyer or somethin? :)

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I guess this will be my first rooting experience then because there is no way I am waiting until November for Jellybean. However, I want stock Jellybean. I don't want a custom ROM. I want STOCK. Is that possible after rooting?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I guess this will be my first rooting experience then because there is no way I am waiting until November for Jellybean. However, I want stock Jellybean. I don't want a custom ROM. I want STOCK. Is that possible after rooting?

Yes. They take the form of flashable deodexed roms.

With all of those devs getting devices with JB on it, I presume we'll see GSM roms popping up sooner than later with CDMA/toro roms following.

Stay frosty and keep checking our development subforum. We'll have it as soon as everyone else does :).

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
a doctor tells his patient that he has less than 6 weeks to live
if the patient lets the doctor do all the expensive procedures
and prescribe drugs that cost $563 per pill per day. (yes, there
are such drugs being prescribed daily)

the patient is still alive after 10 months, the doctor comes out
like a hero and makes quite a few bucks at the same time.
Win-win for the doctor and patient.(well... maybe not for the
patient who goes into debt with $273,000 medical bills)

that's exactly what my relationship with Verizon Wireless is
starting to feel like.

Reactions: Droidnought

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Yes, but the people who choose to wait get jealous and angry when they see others benefitting from a different choice--even though those who choose to wait know the consequences of both choices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech