Nexus with Jelly Bean or GS3 with ICS?

danielkogan

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I pre-ordered the GS3 and now I'm debating on canceling that order and sticking with my Nexus. With Jelly Bean it doesn't seem that GS3 has much more to offer anymore. Waiting for the update on GS3 doesn't seem like it will be fun.

Any one else with this dilemma?

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I pre-ordered the GS3 and now I'm debating on canceling that order and sticking with my Nexus. With Jelly Bean it doesn't seem that GS3 has much more to offer anymore. Waiting for the update on GS3 doesn't seem like it will be fun.

Any one else with this dilemma?

i think it is in your best interest to do so. i have heard the S3 is big, ugly and skinned. it has better / faster specs but JB is going to deliver a way better experience overall.

HighOnHops

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
No dilemma here. I love my GN. I thought about a new phone for a brief second then came to my senses. I just flashed the preview of JB and for a preview / beta build, I am loving it.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
How do you feel about OS updates?

I had Jelly Bean on my phone less than 24 hours after it had been announced. The GSIII won't have it until early fall, at the earliest.

Reactions: oxymoron

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Galaxy S III is clearly a better phone. But, that having been said Jellybean is pretty amazing on my Nexus. I love it. Here is what I am thinking. If you do get the GS3 and are patient, or just root and put Jellybean on yourself. OMG that thing will be fast. The GS III already has amazing performance with ICS, I can only imagine with Jellybean.

allan1313

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I must say that Jelly Bean is AMAZING!! It will be awhile before the GS3 gets it. Google Now destroys S-voice.

Project butter is a complete success it is very smooth. I thought ICS was good, but Jelly Bean makes ICS look like a beta test. I am not in your situation so I can't tell you what to do, but I have a hard time believing the GS3 will be better than the G-Nex for the foreseeable future. The only thing the GS3 has on the G-Nex is the camera.

Now once the GS3 gets Jelly Bean it might crush the G-Nex, but that is probably many months away. Like others said what about Key Lime Pie?? Will that come to the GS3?? You can be sure it will be on the G-Nex.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Reactions: oxymoron

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
As the situation currently presents itself, the Gnex with JB is the way to go. As was said, the only thing the GS3 has over it is the camera.

Nexus devices will ALWAYS have more developer support, and will ALWAYS have the newest versions of Android before any other device. It just IS.

I'm an early adopter of tech. I will always choose a Nexus if I have that option. In case some of you weren't aware, you are an early adopter as well, and you signed up for it when buying the first device on ICS... the Galaxy Nexus.

Jellybean is better than ICS. WAY better. So... as was said, how do you feel about having the newest version of Android? If there's no concern for that, get the GS3. Otherwise, there is no other device that will get OS updates before a Nexus. Flashed manually, OTA, or otherwise.

Either way, I hope you make the right decision for YOU. Have fun :)

Jellybeanin' on tapatalk

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat. Ordered the S3 and currently rocking a Rooted Nexus. Sigh, I feel like Google just through a wrench into my plans lol.

I saw the GS3 in person and I love the device. Screen is definitely nicer than the Nexus, Screen is bigger in size however the phones are almost the same exact size. S3 is slightly (ever so) bigger than the Nexus when placed on top of it however it is noticeably thinner.

Touchwiz wasn't horrible, in fact it had a slew of great features, however it did have its negatives. It felt like a great ROM but a little bit cartoony for my tastes. Also coming from stock ICS I was a little spoiled by the Stock Keyboard (Nexus > S3) and the folder creation (Nexus > S3). I did a keyboard test and on both phones I typed "heybthere" (without the quotes). My Nexus changed it to "hey there" and the S3 decided I wanted to write "Heather". Imagine if I were writing hey there, whats up? to my wife and she receives Heather, whats up?, lol. As far as the folders, on the Nexus you just drag one icon over the next, however on Touchwiz you need to press menu, create folder and then drop things into the folder (lame). Also why is there a dedicated menu button, I thought I attended that funeral already.

The S3 definitely had plusses however, like the Motion controls, not for everyone but I liked them and they worked well for me, all of the Power settings in Notifications bar, (yeah I know a ROM can do that for the Nexus but I stay stock rooted), Silky smooth scrolling everywhere (I'm looking at you widget drawer) even with the Live Wallpaper on. There were plenty of other goodies as well.

I dont know. On one hand the S3 is much more future proof as far as hardware goes, however we are going to get stuck waiting for updates (which will drive me mad). 2 gigs of RAM and touchwiz or 1 gig and JB. I feel like I am talking myself into keeping the Nexus but then I think about the camera, oh and the possibility of having superior connectivity in places that the Nexus 'takes a break' from the Google servers.

If I had confirmation from the future that there will be a Jelly Bean ROM for the S3 quickly then that would be my first ROM.

But then again maybe this time I can actually buy some official accessories for less than $90 considering it will have the same form factor over all 4 US brands. That would be nice.

Sorry for the flippity floppity book like posting. Just thinking to myself and typing to whoever will read. :)

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
This is probably a stupid question but what is the obstacle to getting Jellybean on the S3?

Is the bootloader not as easily unlocked?
Is the developer support weaker?
Am I oversimplifying things and I'm missing some other factor?

I had assumed that as developers quickly incorporate Jellybean into their ROMs, they would be available for the S3 as well? Or it will always be Nexus first, then other devices second?

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat. Ordered the S3 and currently rocking a Rooted Nexus. Sigh, I feel like Google just through a wrench into my plans lol.

I saw the GS3 in person and I love the device. Screen is definitely nicer than the Nexus, Screen is bigger in size however the phones are almost the same exact size. S3 is slightly (ever so) bigger than the Nexus when placed on top of it however it is noticeably thinner.

Touchwiz wasn't horrible, in fact it had a slew of great features, however it did have its negatives. It felt like a great ROM but a little bit cartoony for my tastes. Also coming from stock ICS I was a little spoiled by the Stock Keyboard (Nexus > S3) and the folder creation (Nexus > S3). I did a keyboard test and on both phones I typed "heybthere" (without the quotes). My Nexus changed it to "hey there" and the S3 decided I wanted to write "Heather". Imagine if I were writing hey there, whats up? to my wife and she receives Heather, whats up?, lol. As far as the folders, on the Nexus you just drag one icon over the next, however on Touchwiz you need to press menu, create folder and then drop things into the folder (lame). Also why is there a dedicated menu button, I thought I attended that funeral already.

The S3 definitely had plusses however, like the Motion controls, not for everyone but I liked them and they worked well for me, all of the Power settings in Notifications bar, (yeah I know a ROM can do that for the Nexus but I stay stock rooted), Silky smooth scrolling everywhere (I'm looking at you widget drawer) even with the Live Wallpaper on. There were plenty of other goodies as well.

I dont know. On one hand the S3 is much more future proof as far as hardware goes, however we are going to get stuck waiting for updates (which will drive me mad). 2 gigs of RAM and touchwiz or 1 gig and JB. I feel like I am talking myself into keeping the Nexus but then I think about the camera, oh and the possibility of having superior connectivity in places that the Nexus 'takes a break' from the Google servers.

If I had confirmation from the future that there will be a Jelly Bean ROM for the S3 quickly then that would be my first ROM.

But then again maybe this time I can actually buy some official accessories for less than $90 considering it will have the same form factor over all 4 US brands. That would be nice.

Sorry for the flippity floppity book like posting. Just thinking to myself and typing to whoever will read. :)

I canceled my preorder for the GS3 after yesterday's announcement. Just decided to load jelly bean on my nexus and give it a couple weeks. Since I have to pay full retail for the GS3, I have to decide if it's really $350 better than a nexus with jelly bean. My initial thought is no. I'm loading tonight. If I change my mind ill just pick an GS3 up in a few weeks. No real rush when you got a nexus.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
This is probably a stupid question but what is the obstacle to getting Jellybean on the S3?

I had assumed that as developers quickly incorporate Jellybean into their ROMs, they would be available for the S3 as well? Or it will always be Nexus first, then other devices second?

Just mostly developer support. It takes a lot more to create flawless ROMs for those devices then those like the nexus.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered by SGS III since I wanted to use an available upgrade before the shared data plan nonsense kicked in. I have Jelly Bean on my Galaxy Nexus right now and look forward to my SGS III and including that phone in my rotation. SIM cards ftw!

Sent using Tapatalk 2

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Nope. fasboot oem unlock ftw.
Yep.
Nope, you nailed it ;)

Correct. Nexus first, everything else 2nd.

Jellybeanin' on tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I look at it this way.. Whichever works better as a phone is the one I will keep. the nexus isn't the best with reception and signal and no matter how open and easy it is to install new software it still can't fix poor radios in the nexus. Now if the sgs3 has the same issues( which should not be the case using qualcomm chip) I will return it and wait for something else. First and foremost I just want my phone to work out of the box. I used to be one to want the latest software right away but then I got tired of constantly flashing new roms every few weeks. If the phone works out of the box waiting will make it that much better once it does get the next software version.

reidoreilly

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
why do people even ask this question? Do you not understand what a nexus devices is, you could put JB on your nexus a few hours after it was announced, and its not out of the question for the GSIII to not get JB until 2013, to say it will get it in the fall is a real stretch. ICS came out like 8+ months ago, and phones are just now getting it.

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I ordered a GS3 on Wednesday, then loaded JB on my Nexus today. As I was playing with it tonight in midtown Manhattan, the 4G signal dropped and I was sitting there looking at it for 4-5 minutes before it reconnected. I'm with Premium1 in just wanting my phone to work, so I will try the GS3 and if it is more reliable I will keep it. I will be able to flash JB on the GS3 soon enough.

bokajay

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
My primary phone is a Droid Razr but I pre-ordered the S3. I too am debating whether a GNex on JB is a better choice. My main reason for the pre-order was to keep unlimited data on my line. Now that the 28th has passed my best option seems to be to check out the S3 for 14 days and return it (pay restocking fee) for a GNex if I don't like it. I believe since I would be doing an exchange that I would still be able to keep my current plan. I'd have to check that out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar