iPhone user her contemplating switch to GNex

ptb127

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I am trying to decide if I want to dump the i4s and try a new android. I just saw a walkthrough vid with jellybean and I am very impressed. I have always kinda liked the Gnex but I have been afraid of the issues that have been ongoing with the signal and dropping calls/data. I don't want to wait for the GS3 but that is a possibility too. So is the droid razr maxx. How many problems has there been with the CDMA versions or has the complainers been louder then the satisfied customers.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
There are valid complaints and problems with the Gnex. The biggest problem is that it's hit or miss with individual phones. My first phone wouldn't hold onto 4g for more than a few minutes, and then it would drop all radios entirely, and then come back after like fifteen seconds. Since replacing my phone under warranty, it's been 100%.

What I can tell you without a doubt is that when you get a Gnex that works correctly, it's freakin' awesome....and the Dev support is completely insane. I mean, Jellybean was announced yesterday, and by last night it had been ported over and available to us all. THAT is nuts.

In the end, it depends on what you're looking for in a phone. Want to be able to do literally anything you want to your phone? GN all the way. Want the latest and greatest hardware? SGIII. Want rock solid radios, and a killer battery (with a bootloader locked down tighter than Alcatraz)? Razr Maxx.

Only you know what you want/need/expect out of a phone. Choose the one that suits you best.

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I had minor bugs initially but none persisted beyond a few days 4.0.4 seems to have helped a lot of people.

The dropped call issue is supposed to be real but it only affects some phones same with microphone issue... I've never seen the mic issue and this phone has been my best at not dropping.

As far as signal.. a huge part of complaints are a myth stemming from people comparing wrong numbers etc. Reas the anandtech study and the rootzwiki sticky about why signals "suck" on the gnex forums)

So to sum it up: this phone is extremely satisfying

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

greyhd

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
If you decide to get the GN, buy it from Google. You will get the updates faster than if you were to get the CDMA version from Verizon unless you root it.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to decide if I want to dump the i4s and try a new android. I just saw a walkthrough vid with jellybean and I am very impressed. I have always kinda liked the Gnex but I have been afraid of the issues that have been ongoing with the signal and dropping calls/data. I don't want to wait for the GS3 but that is a possibility too. So is the droid razr maxx. How many problems has there been with the CDMA versions or has the complainers been louder then the satisfied customers.

I agree with the advice EJT gave you above. I just helped a friend choose between the Razr MAXX and the Nexus the other day. He went with the Razr, and now that it has ICS it is even better. The ICS update is surprisingly similar to stock ICS -- primarily some color scheme and icon changes as well as Motorola's apps installed.

On the other hand, however, the Nexus is in my opinion the more beautiful device of the two. Stock ICS was great, and stock JB is incredible. I can guarantee (to the best of my ability..) that you won't have the same JB experience on the Razr that you will on the Nexus; that's simply how it is with a Nexus device. I keep seeing potential Nexus owners say that they don't want to root their phone, deal with ROMs, kernels, etc. The answer is that you just don't need to. If you want to gradually ease into it after getting used to the phone and Android itself, the support community for the Nexus is arguably second-to-none -- they'll give 100% to help you do whatever you want to do with your phone. Again, that comes with having a Nexus device. But even without rooting your phone and putting custom software on it, you'll have a sleek, smooth, and fast stock version of Android to enjoy.

I do believe the Razr MAXX currently costs $100 less than the Nexus. In the end, it's obviously your choice. I see more of the iOS-level polish on the Nexus than I do on the Razr, with the only downside being potentially shorter battery life.

Edit: greyhd (post above mine) is also correct. The VZW LTE Galaxy Nexus will receive updates slower than the GSM version sold through Google, but you do get Verizon's network. It's a trade-off that you have to make, one way or the other.

ptb127

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Maxx is 299.99 and the Nexus is 149.99 w/2 year contracts. I can't buy it unlocked from Google for CDMA. If I could I would.

I agree with the advice EJT gave you above. I just helped a friend choose between the Razr MAXX and the Nexus the other day. He went with the Razr, and now that it has ICS it is even better. The ICS update is surprisingly similar to stock ICS -- primarily some color scheme and icon changes as well as Motorola's apps installed.

On the other hand, however, the Nexus is in my opinion the more beautiful device of the two. Stock ICS was great, and stock JB is incredible. I can guarantee (to the best of my ability..) that you won't have the same JB experience on the Razr that you will on the Nexus; that's simply how it is with a Nexus device. I keep seeing potential Nexus owners say that they don't want to root their phone, deal with ROMs, kernels, etc. The answer is that you just don't need to. If you want to gradually ease into it after getting used to the phone and Android itself, the support community for the Nexus is arguably second-to-none -- they'll give 100% to help you do whatever you want to do with your phone. Again, that comes with having a Nexus device. But even without rooting your phone and putting custom software on it, you'll have a sleek, smooth, and fast stock version of Android to enjoy.

I do believe the Razr MAXX currently costs $100 less than the Nexus. In the end, it's obviously your choice. I see more of the iOS-level polish on the Nexus than I do on the Razr, with the only downside being potentially shorter battery life.

Edit: greyhd (post above mine) is also correct. The VZW LTE Galaxy Nexus will receive updates slower than the GSM version sold through Google, but you do get Verizon's network. It's a trade-off that you have to make, one way or the other.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Maxx is 299.99 and the Nexus is 149.99 w/2 year contracts. I can't buy it unlocked from Google for CDMA. If I could I would.

I'm not sure where I got that thought then, I'll try to figure that out... but in the end that's a much more significant price difference, and it's in favor of the Nexus. Whichever way you go, you'll like the phone. Hope my thoughts have helped. ;)

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
While I apologize for the double post, I'd like to clarify something. I just spent some time speaking with a contact I have at Verizon while in a local VZW store. The issue is with the device itself, but what's happening is that this defect prevents the LTE SIM cards from provisioning with the network. As LTE devices re-authenticate themselves quite frequently, this causes a problem with SIM cards that have not been properly or completely provisioned. To further confirm this, I had the local VZW store activate an LTE SIM, as well as a local Best Buy store, and a VZW Tech over the phone. All three failed to properly provision on this Nexus.

I'm having my full plan re-provisioned tomorrow, to help ensure proper provisioning in the first place. You can do this while keeping an unlimited LTE connection; you just need the ESN of a 3G phone that you can activate on the network. Be sure it's not a non-3G phone, or you will lose the unlimited data.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza