Just upgraded to Gnex and my 4g drops every few minutes

Bleezy

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey Guys - Ive been doing a lot of research and see that the Gnex and 4g dont quite get along together. However, my phone keeps dropping 4g signal every 1-2min of use and then reconnects. 3g works perfectly and so does wifi.

I am curious if having 4g drop and re-connect all the time is normal for this phone or if I need to replace it.

please help me as Im like 9 days into my 14 day trial period.

Thank you!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys - Ive been doing a lot of research and see that the Gnex and 4g dont quite get along together. However, my phone keeps dropping 4g signal every 1-2min of use and then reconnects. 3g works perfectly and so does wifi.

I am curious if having 4g drop and re-connect all the time is normal for this phone or if I need to replace it.

please help me as Im like 9 days into my 14 day trial period.

Thank you!

Go to About Phone in Settings--what version of Android are you running?

Bleezy

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Im on 4.04.

I also went to verizon yesterday and got a new SIM card but it didnt do anything. Its so odd though. Doesnt matter what im doing, the 4g just disconnects after 1-2minutes and then reconnects. Sometimes though it will just stay disconnected until I go to airplane mode or reboot.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Im on 4.04.

I also went to verizon yesterday and got a new SIM card but it didnt do anything. Its so odd though. Doesnt matter what im doing, the 4g just disconnects after 1-2minutes and then reconnects. Sometimes though it will just stay disconnected until I go to airplane mode or reboot.

Is it always doing in that in the same spot/area?

Bleezy

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok, thats what I figured. Ive just been reading about a lot of people having 4g issues and wasnt sure if this was just how Gnex was or not. Thanks for your help though.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok, thats what I figured. Ive just been reading about a lot of people having 4g issues and wasnt sure if this was just how Gnex was or not. Thanks for your help though.

Yeah it has issues, but not like that. Good luck and you're welcome :).

SEAKevin

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I totally gave up on 4G with my GNEX. Not only would it frequently lose and then reconnect its 4G signal ..but while it was continually disconnecting and trying to make a 4G connection it totally drained the battery. I've got a friend who had the same problem. So, I just set mine to CDMA and now I get 3G all the time with no issues and battery life is FAR better. I found that a my house it was the worst in suburban north Seattle. At work downtown it was somewhat better keeping 4G. Now, if I'm planning on doing some heavy surfing or streaming on my phone and I'm in a good 4G area I'll switch it back over temporarily. But I'm much happier with its performance when I leave it on 3G.

Reactions: Bleezy

Bleezy

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I totally gave up on 4G with my GNEX. Not only would it frequently lose and then reconnect its 4G signal ..but while it was continually disconnecting and trying to make a 4G connection it totally drained the battery. I've got a friend who had the same problem. So, I just set mine to CDMA and now I get 3G all the time with no issues and battery life is FAR better. I found that a my house it was the worst in suburban north Seattle. At work downtown it was somewhat better keeping 4G. Now, if I'm planning on doing some heavy surfing or streaming on my phone and I'm in a good 4G area I'll switch it back over temporarily. But I'm much happier with its performance when I leave it on 3G.

You sound just like me. Ive only had the phone for 8-9 days but the times I was on 4g, it would drain the battery with in 4-5 hours with only 30-45min screen time. Completely ridiculous! I guess that was mostly due to the radio working over time trying to establish a signal. On 3g, the phone works flawlessly though but I didnt pay for a 3g signal, ya know?

Luckily there is a verizon store on my way home and they seem to be pretty helpful. I guess i'll have to go back there for again today and try to get a replacement phone.

Thanks again for your comments, guys. Cheer! :cool:

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
You sound just like me. Ive only had the phone for 8-9 days but the times I was on 4g, it would drain the battery with in 4-5 hours with only 30-45min screen time. Completely ridiculous! I guess that was mostly due to the radio working over time trying to establish a signal. On 3g, the phone works flawlessly though but I didnt pay for a 3g signal, ya know?

Luckily there is a verizon store on my way home and they seem to be pretty helpful. I guess i'll have to go back there for again today and try to get a replacement phone.

Thanks again for your comments, guys. Cheer! :cool:

Just wanted to throw in my input here; I live in the Seattle area as well (gotta love the Northwest :cool:). As said before, your device was defective. I've done limited work with Samsung in the past, and I was able to try out a development kernel and radio set on mine when a replacement phone of mine had the same issue consistently over last two weeks.

The problem is caused by a physical defect with the antenna, and I've seen it on four devices now in person. It's not a problem that a different kernel, or ROM, or newer set of radios can solve... unfortunately. The bottom line? It's very, very unlikely that your replacement will have the same issues. :)

It is interesting, however, that two of those four Nexuses were activated within 36 hours of the significant (and only) LTE expansion in the greater Seattle area since our LTE was first activated as one of the trial cities. Likely coincidence, but interesting nonetheless.

Reactions: Bleezy

Bleezy

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to give an update.

I went to VZW store yesterday and they gave me a new phone using my same SIM card and battery. Let me just say that everything is better. Not only does my 4g connection now work perfectly, my battery is lasting easily twice as long. I guess my phone was stuck in search mode with the radio trying to establish a connection all day long.

So anyone having issues like I was, just go get it replaced.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I went to VZW store yesterday and they gave me a new phone using my same SIM card and battery. Let me just say that everything is better. Not only does my 4g connection now work perfectly, my battery is lasting easily twice as long. I guess my phone was stuck in search mode with the radio trying to establish a connection all day long.

Excellent, enjoy!

ryanmolter1

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site

i was having the same exact issue to a T. i went back and got a new SIM card, same issue. Got a new phone and same issue. I guess from the sounds of it i need to get another new one. Weird though because last time i was in, we (store mgr) and mysrlf got on the phone with tech2 support and they had a confirmed issue/tech advisory from Samsung about this issue. She said tey are working with/waiting for Samsung to release a software update to fix the issue.They were really trying to push the RAZR Max on me, but i didnt want it as i only had to pay $49 for the Nexus and no activation. I also just really like this phone. I am on vacation now though, so ill have to find a Verizon store here and see if they can replace it for me. thanks for the update, and i'll post when i get a new one to see what happens.

Reactions: zkSharks

blueglacia

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Temporary solution to Verizon 4G disconnect problem: My Razr Maxx (ICS: less frequently) and new Razr Maxx HD (JB4.1.2: much more frequently) both had persistent 4G disconnect problems on Verizon. It tends to occur about twice (or more) a day: around 8am and 11pm (plus at other times as well). "Network Type and Strength (under Settings)" shows 4G signal remains strong during the disconnect. Rebooting obviously restores the connection immediately. Instead, I quickly toggle Flight Mode on and off, which re-engages whatever system service responsible for holding 4G connection. This suggests to me that a modification within Android could easily overcome this disconnect issue even it the problem stems from Verizon's 4G handshake architecture (read: This Is Why Your Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Or Other 4G LTE VZW Phone) Is Losing Its Data Connection). Only if Google is aware of this issue and the solution.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay