Apple's injunction on the Nexus; UN hosting mobile patent talks.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I figure that it can't hurt to keep some of the lawsuit news and patent talk involving the Nexus in one place. I'll try to update this as news pops up. ;)

Apple granted injunction against the Galaxy Nexus
Looks like Apple wasn't too happy with the Google stepping up their mobile search game with Google Now and the new voice search.. ;) right after I/O and the 4.1 release, they've filed a suit against the Nexus. Engadget has just posted an article about it. This should be interesting. :/ The patent litigation and ban of the original Galaxy Tab 10.1 is something I can understand. Samsung's own lawyers confused it with the iPad in the courtroom, and in my opinion the judge made the right call. However, the patent in question here one involving search. There's a news post at RootzWiki that does a very good job of explaining the patent in question (thanks, JkdJedi). I hope Apple starts following in the words of Tim Cook pretty soon:
I always hated litigation. I continue to hate it," he said, before striking a slightly more combative tone to clarify, "I just want people to invent their own stuff.
I think the Nexus certainly qualifies as "inventing their own stuff." Update: Although the Nexus can't be purchased from Google right now, it looks like it will be back for sale with Jelly Bean starting next week. Both ABC News and The Verge have reported on this after speaking with Google. Update 2: Samsung has been granted a temporary stay on the ban until July 12th, awaiting Apple's response. Update 3: The GSM Nexus is available in the Play Store once more! ...except it'll take two to three weeks to ship. ;)

United Nations "International Telecommunications Union" agency set to host mobile patent talks
According to BBC News, and other sources, the ongoing patent wars we've all come to love have been noticed at a high level. The UN is set to host these talks in Geneva on October 10th. Maybe something good will come out of this?

Apple hit with patent infringement lawsuit in Chinese courts, Siri front and center.
Just a few months after losing a dispute over the iPad trademark, it looks like Apple's again on the defendant side of a Chinese lawsuit. Apparently the Zhi Zhen Internet Technology is suing Apple over similarities to mobile voice recognition software they developed. The software in question is said to be on iOS, Android, and Windows Live Messenger (I'm sure that one will be at the front of the lawsuit..) and has "100 million users in China." Thanks chubb. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: chubb and 2defmouze

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: "Apple lands preliminary ban against Samsung Galaxy Nexus."

Something to do with voice actions/search.... which Google has had much longer than Apple.

Fact is Google continues to sit idly by and not fight back, when the time to play nice is over. Apple is not going to back down from this BS because they're clearly done "innovating".

First thing I'd love to see Google bring to the courts is Apple's notification pulldown kang. That alone ought to be enough to ban all iphone sales, if we really want to fight fire with fire, as I say its long past time Google did..

spun2u

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Apple is the ORIGINAL rippers of others ideas. They championed it in the early days (late seventies & early eighties). I find it laughable to see them now belly B***hing about Google and almost everyone else for doing what Apple did 30 years ago.

It's innovating, and we all benefit when everyone competes for our attention!

Apple should probably find the door to these legal situation before they find themselves on the other side of the PR fence, the bad side of the PR fence that is.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
The patent that's being infringed was already on Android before Apple even implemented it. Heck before they even bought Siri and acquired patents for universal voice search. This is Google bread and butter I don't see how they can't get in this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

"It's no coincidence that Samsung's latest products look a lot like the iPhone and iPad, from the shape of the hardware to the user interface and even the packaging," Apple said in an e-mailed statement. "This kind of blatant copying is wrong and, as we've said many times before, we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas."

LMAO. I have never read such lunacy before in my life. Hopefully Google comes to the party since this is "their" phone.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Also lets not forget that Samsung manufactures the screens and (if I'm not mistaken) some other tech thats IN THE iPHONE. Way to treat your manufacturers like family, Apple. Stay classy.

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Also lets not forget that Samsung manufactures the screens and (if I'm not mistaken) some other tech thats IN THE iPHONE. Way to treat your manufacturers like family, Apple. Stay classy.

LG actually makes the retina display but yeah apple uses Samsung for the bulk of the tech inside the device. Apple is just greedy and they are just playing themselves out with all of these lawsuits.

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Cmon Google it is time to step in the ring and protect Android! This latest suit is not really against Samsung but clearly aimed at Android in general! While it was alright and a good move to stay out of this before and not stoop to Apple's level, that time has passed and the sleeping giant needs to enter the ring and assert themself! Siri did not invent anything. Much of Siri functionality came out with Google Voice search over a year before Siri was just an app on the App Store. Google Now, which is far better than Siri, is an extension of that technology. They are going to use this suit and injunction against Jelly Bean before it can even get out of the door!

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps Google is setting on the side lines quietly for 1 of 2reasons.

1. Highly unlikely but perhaps they feel they have nothing that can truly ban Apple products.

2. Maybe they are going to wait till the new iphone is announced then jump in like gang busters and try to have it's sale blocked. I mean why ban the current iphone and thus give apple time to make things right before their next big launch.

And just so I don't leave anyone out maybe apple and Google are both owned by the new world government and are working together to make a bastardized andrios operating system to control the black helicopters.

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.

Reactions: monkeyluis

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Has apple cried about SIRI being supposedly copied yet? Cause a voice activation thing called On-Star from over 10 years ago comes to mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site

Exactly, @metz65! It's all about the helicopters.

Why is Google sitting out? They really don't have anything to fire back with.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
425756dd-4cab-cff0.jpg
Uh oh looks like all them Sammy's will have to go back....:D

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

sizzle7

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Can't wait for apple to get slapped down with some heavy lawsuits. The federal judges are clearly biased towards Apple due to it being American based and Samsung is an outside company. Oh well Google helps in that they have a ton of money :-D

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
here is a comment from Apple spokeswoman Kristin Huguet, ?It?s no coincidence that Samsung?s latest products looks a lot like the iPhone and iPad

a6fa6331-4d1b-30fd.jpg

Am I missing something on the look alike part??? Seriously, anyone who can't tell those apart needs to stick to a rotary dial land line phone instead of a smart phone anyway.

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
here is a comment from Apple spokeswoman Kristin Huguet, ?It?s no coincidence that Samsung?s latest products looks a lot like the iPhone and iPad

Click to view quoted image

Am I missing something on the look alike part??? Seriously, anyone who can't tell those apart needs to stick to a rotary dial land line phone instead of a smart phone anyway.

Zomg they're both rectangular! Guess Google has to make triangle shaped phones from now on...

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

Can't wait for apple to get slapped down with some heavy lawsuits. The federal judges are clearly biased towards Apple due to it being American based and Samsung is an outside company. Oh well Google helps in that they have a ton of money :-D

must be a hard decision.... the judge is a respected Korean-American lady....