Is anyone running stock software on Gnex?

jonsnowden

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Gnex on vzw for 6 months now. I rooted it before activating it and installed a custom Rom within the first week. I've been running AOKP for a month now and I love my phone. I keep CPU set at 1480 MHz and it cruises. People ask me if I'd recommend it and I can't ever give them a straight answer because I don't know what the stock experience is like. Is the Gnex good in its stock form?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Wheels309

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been running stock since I got my phone on launch day (I know, why get a Nexus if you aren't going to take advantage of rooting and the roms etc..). I've been tempted to root, especially now with the Jelly Bean Roms that are available, but I have not had any complaints or issues with the stock experience. ICS runs smooth on the nexus, and is quick at moving from app to app. IMO it is still the best that Verizon currently offers. The only problem is the dropped data. I'm on my 3rd refurbished Nexus with the 4th coming tomorrow, but that doesn't effect the stock experience as it is hardware related.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Before JB came out I was on stock 4.0.4 and I never had a problem with it. It's a great phone. I still could WiFi tether, add notification panels in the notification menu, and customize it anyway I want all on stock so it's still a great phone

Wheels309

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean by "dropped data"?

I lose my data connection frequently, I'll go from a decent to strong 4G signal to no data signal in a split second. My first Nexus that I got on launch day was fine with this, but I had a problem dealing with not being able to hear the other person when talking. All of the Refurbs I have been sent have had trouble keeping a data signal.

jonsnowden

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
That's interesting. I wonder of I would have experienced those problems if I never installed a rom. Maybe once a week my phone seems to get confused which data source it wants to use (wifi,3g/4g) and temporarily will halt data, a quick off/on with my data toggle and it straightens right out.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have two Gnex. One is stock, the other I use for experimenting with ROM's. Have tried 4.1 and am two minutes from installing JellyBelly Rom.

My stock has had no issues and I got it on release day. Well, one issue. At about three weeks I dropped it and shattered the screen. Which explains why I have two. I then had Samsung replace the screen so I use the best screen as my regular phone and experiment with number two.

Lancer033

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Before JB came out I was on stock 4.0.4 and I never had a problem with it. It's a great phone. I still could WiFi tether, add notification panels in the notification menu, and customize it anyway I want all on stock so it's still a great phone

same here. stock has worked fine and the only reason i unlocked mine was to get Jelly Bean early. I'll probably go back to stock once the official version is on out Verizon in 6 months.

Downwind

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been stock from the start. I'm not into rooting and ROMing. I just love not looking at a ton of bloatware. I got so sick of Bing popping up on my Fascinate. None of that with GNex. I've had no problems. The 4G has been so reliable that I dumped my DSL at home and tether all the time 'cause the GNex 4G is faster.

ajnevares

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I lose my data connection frequently, I'll go from a decent to strong 4G signal to no data signal in a split second. My first Nexus that I got on launch day was fine with this, but I had a problem dealing with not being able to hear the other person when talking. All of the Refurbs I have been sent have had trouble keeping a data signal.

I am running Stock and have the same exact issue. Do you drop just the data signal, or the signal completely? I was used to dropping the 4G/3G/1X on previous devices, but this is the first that drops data and radio (calls and text). I just posted a new thread about it, I downloaded an app that tracks when the signal is lost, and its happening to me about 3-4 times an hour on 4G. On 3G, never drops.

Last edited:

kreauchee

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Been running stock since release with zero issues. My main reason for not installing custom ROMs is not needing to. ICS is a pretty impressive OS. Impressive enough that I don't feel the need to flash JB.

I can wait :)

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm running stock jelly bean. First stock ROM I've ran. Feels a little weird not having a search key on the Nav bar or being able to shrink it Down. I always say root. Because people like options.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Rooted but still running stock. Titanium Backup and Adfree perfected ICS, so I'm okay until I have time to play around with JB or AOKP.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Im running stock and rooted 4.0.4, picked mine up used a month ago. Really like stock ICS but have been a HTC fan for a number of years. Really interested in the next HTC phones on VZW and the ICS update for the Rezound.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084