I played with a T Mo Galaxy S 3 today.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
As a GNex user, I was impressed with the S3. Very quick UI, bloatware wasn't all bad, and the size is great. I use an extended life battery in all of my phones so my GNex is fattened up a little bit. I will say this; I still wouldn't trade my GNex for the S3. After rooting the GNex, the UI flies through screens. So considering I had the chance to play with my coworkers S3, I thought I'd write my own review. Great phone, but the GNex still, in my opinion, wears the crown.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I've stopped by the Sprint store in my neighborhood a few times to check out the SIII. It's really nice, but I still prefer my Galaxy Nexus.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
As a GNex user, I was impressed with the S3. Very quick UI, bloatware wasn't all bad, and the size is great. I use an extended life battery in all of my phones so my GNex is fattened up a little bit. I will say this; I still wouldn't trade my GNex for the S3. After rooting the GNex, the UI flies through screens. So considering I had the chance to play with my coworkers S3, I thought I'd write my own review. Great phone, but the GNex still, in my opinion, wears the crown.

Yeah there are a few things that bug me about it.

(1) Design; the back is cool, the front is not.

(2) TouchWiz--I can't go back to a skin. I just can't.

(3) No soft keys. This is sorta like #1, but a bit more specific. I think the front face of the GN is one of the best front faces of any any device ever (yes, I'm that biased). The softkeys are a perfect implementation of usable yet clever UI. Yet, Sammy was like "screw this, let's put some trapezoid thing right here and call it a day." Makes no sense to me; I see it as regressive and lazy to be quite honest.

Past that, it seems like the bee's knees and I wish had the 600-700 big ones to get one just for S and Gs.

Reactions: sicario666

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I will say my favorite thing about the SIII while I was handling it was the form factor. I really liked the slightly curvy design and how thin it was.

The phone I was surprised to be not all that impressed with was the EVO LTE. I was like, "...that's it? Well, I suppose it's nice enough..."

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I will say my favorite thing about the SIII while I was handling it was the form factor. I really liked the slightly curvy design and how thin it was.

The phone I was surprised to be not all that impressed with was the EVO LTE. I was like, "...that's it? Well, I suppose it's nice enough..."

The gloss black + matte black back design gets me every time. Can't believe someone OK'd that at HTC.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'll probably pick one up in a couple months off eBay...if I can swing the cashola. I actually loved my Fascinate (one of the few who did, I know)...its the phone that made an android convert out of me from BB. But having used the GNEX for only a month now, I absolutely LOVE this thing.

sent from my contraband gnex

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Played with one myself at sprint, phone us extremely fast, hands down faster than the nexus without a skin on it.

Design is nice, slippery but a good phone but I don't care for touchwiz at all...

The evo didn't feel as fast as the gs3 at all.

Good phone, I have a upgrade but I'm waiting till the end of the year to make a move.

Sent from my PH44100 using Android Central Forums

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah there are a few things that bug me about it.

(1) Design; the back is cool, the front is not.

(2) TouchWiz--I can't go back to a skin. I just can't.

(3) No soft keys. This is sorta like #1, but a bit more specific. I think the front face of the GN is one of the best front faces of any any device ever (yes, I'm that biased). The softkeys are a perfect implementation of usable yet clever UI. Yet, Sammy was like "screw this, let's put some trapezoid thing right here and call it a day." Makes no sense to me; I see it as regressive and lazy to be quite honest.

Past that, it seems like the bee's knees and I wish had the 600-700 big ones to get one just for S and Gs.

Almost exactly my opinion. If the GSIII had the Galaxy Nexus' front, it would be sexy. TouchWiz adds a lot of cool features but sooooo ugly. And I don't mind the off-screen buttons but sticking a permanent menu button on there and a physical home button was a terrible idea IMO. If Samsung would have done like HTC with the One series, the GSIII would look so much nicer.

Reactions: sicario666

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I was surprised to see that Samsung designed with the home button being an actual hardware button. Not more toward the lines of the nexus or even more advanced than that. I still would like to see one and play around with it. I liked touchwiz when I had my charge. So that's not really an issue for me. I'm sure in due time cyanogen mod will release a build for a vanilla rom.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I was surprised to see that Samsung designed with the home button being an actual hardware button. Not more toward the lines of the nexus or even more advanced than that. I still would like to see one and play around with it. I liked touchwiz when I had my charge. So that's not really an issue for me. I'm sure in due time cyanogen mod will release a build for a vanilla rom.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Once CM and other AOSP roms make their way to the SGS3 you will lose all the SGS3 software features. At that point, who needs the SGS3? Better off waiting for the next Nexus phone.

Also, out of all the new little features the SGS3 has, not sure if I would even use any of them. Now with JB, does anyone even care about S-Voice? I really didn't care about it before so to me it was never really any type of game changer. The video pop-up is available in the app store as well as keeping your screen on based on your presence to the phone. I have no desire to really use those features but it is available if you want it.

So what would be the point of the S3 if you already own a GNEX? The only thing I like about it is the larger screen.....Oh, and the better camera. They can be pretty big for a lot of people.

Last edited:

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
We checked out the Sprint S3 (we are on Verizon and I preordered it for my wife back on the 6th). She is coming from an iPhone and I temporarily set her up on my Thunderbolt to get her on 4G before the VZW plan changes took effect.

Any way, very nice phone, fast, the camera is outstanding in my opinion, fast, sharp, great reproduction in my limited testing, burst mode is outstanding. She is excited and so am I, no more iPhones in the family! W00T!

I am a bit jealous, but I love my rooted GNEX, CM9 rom'd phone. love it.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
We checked out the Sprint S3 (we are on Verizon and I preordered it for my wife back on the 6th). She is coming from an iPhone and I temporarily set her up on my Thunderbolt to get her on 4G before the VZW plan changes took effect.

Any way, very nice phone, fast, the camera is outstanding in my opinion, fast, sharp, great reproduction in my limited testing, burst mode is outstanding. She is excited and so am I, no more iPhones in the family! W00T!

I am a bit jealous, but I love my rooted GNEX, CM9 rom'd phone. love it.

Put Jellybean on that Nexus and you won't be jealous any longer

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

kicks

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Should someone like me who just exchanged a rezound at best buy for a gnex consider exchanging for an S3?

ajnevares

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Should someone like me who just exchanged a rezound at best buy for a gnex consider exchanging for an S3?

I was in the same exact boat as you...my previous device was the Rezound and was torn between the Nexus and S3. After reading many threads of feedback from the folks here at AC, I went with the Nexus based on their reviews and couldn't be happier! (thanks btw)

I am one of the few who is having the 4G dropping issue on the Nexus, but even on 3G its a solid phone and confident a replacement will resolve the issue.

kicks

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same exact boat as you...my previous device was the Rezound and was torn between the Nexus and S3. After reading many threads of feedback from the folks here at AC, I went with the Nexus based on their reviews and couldn't be happier! (thanks btw)

I am one of the few who is having the 4G dropping issue on the Nexus, but even on 3G its a solid phone and confident a replacement will resolve the issue.

Is your nexus from China or Korea? I have minor drops and mine is from China

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

smbrooks32

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
IV had both which both dropped but did notice the Korean one had a true color the China one was to bright and bleed through the black to make it look purple

Guy4Tech

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
For me, TouchWiz is the deal breaker. The S3 is like the Gnexus and the iPhone smacked together. TouchWiz is too much like the iPhone look to me. I had the iPhone for years before switching to Android. I love Vanilla Android and can't wait for Samsung or a carrier to decide if my phone will be supported after 6 months. That is why I went with the Nexus. Its easier to root, customize and, in my opinion, is the best phone I've had. I had had a lot of phones too.

I do like the idea of all the gestures that the S3 has and the camera makes me jealous, this is where the GNexus falls short. What can I say, its a give and take.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney