Question about Jelly Bean on my phone

bergeronjc#WN

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere that if I unlock the bootloader and root the GNex that I will be able to get Jelly Bean before Verizon Wireless pushes it. Does that mean, I have to download Jelly Bean roms or will I receive it directly from Google instead of Verizon Wireless?

Also, why is the GNex advertised as getting updates directly from Google when I have to wait for Verizon Wireless to push the update to me? That would mean, the update does not come directly from Google. If it did come directly from Google, then the update would happen like the iPhone.

If Apple can push updates whenever they want, then there is absolutely no legit reason why other mobile OS's have to wait on the whim of a carrier.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
For some reason I feel the need to beat the next 10 people to this question (even though Ive never responded before to this one)

Where did you see it advertised as getting updates straight from google?
:)
-Danny

bergeronjc#WN

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I have to find the webpage. I'll look through my web history.

Just so I'm clear is it true that only GSM Nexus phones get updates directly from Google? And CDMA get it from Verizon Wireless, a carrier that doesn't update phones (or Sprint if it's a Sprint phone)?

greyhd

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Google is or will start selling the GN from the play store and it will get JB pushed by Google but the GN will only be compatible with GSM networks. Even if you root and unlock your Verizon GN, you will NOT get updates from Google, you will however be able to load a Custom Rom with JB(Verizon still has to push the update).

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
short answer is yes...
one of the main reasons is because the CDMA software is proprietary and Google doesnt have access to it... only verizon... so it must go through verizon...

someone correct me if Im wrong in that statement...

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have to find the webpage. I'll look through my web history.

Just so I'm clear is it true that only GSM Nexus phones get updates directly from Google? And CDMA get it from Verizon Wireless, a carrier that doesn't update phones (or Sprint if it's a Sprint phone)?

Well the CDMA variants are only sold by the carriers or 3rd party vendors while the gsm ones are sold directly by google. Remember the Verizon phone had vzw apps and stuff that need to meet their approval requirements. So that's why it go to them then to us. Whereas apple doesn't allow any carrier to modify or touch their phone. Same thing google does with the gsm models they sell themselves. No carrier anything and updates when google is ready. Also you can read the big sticky about jelly beam that's like 40 pages with links to all the ROMs.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere that if I unlock the bootloader and root the GNex that I will be able to get Jelly Bean before Verizon Wireless pushes it. Does that mean, I have to download Jelly Bean roms or will I receive it directly from Google instead of Verizon Wireless?

Also, why is the GNex advertised as getting updates directly from Google when I have to wait for Verizon Wireless to push the update to me? That would mean, the update does not come directly from Google. If it did come directly from Google, then the update would happen like the iPhone.

If Apple can push updates whenever they want, then there is absolutely no legit reason why other mobile OS's have to wait on the whim of a carrier.

Our updates are direct from Google but only after Verizon has added the CDMA elements and tested the update fully to their satisfaction

There have been several threads that have gone over this subject and had the technical points explained about how there is abunch of red tape connected to CDMA technology.

Please use the search tool next time and you might find your information already posted and replied to.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

In theory, Google is still "behind" the update, but the carrier (Verizon) approves it. I've read that Google is actually the one "pushing" it, but I can't confirm that and I'm not necessarily sure that's true at all. [EDIT: see the post above me lol]

That being said, as long as you are stock, without anything custom (recovery, rom, etc.), you can receive an update while being rooted/unlocked. However, you must absolutely be stock.

If you wish to flash Jelly Bean now, please consult my "Jelly Bean Now" guide (see the link in my signature). It has installation instructions and a list of places to find JB from, as well as general discussion concerning JB and the different roms and such.

Reactions: michael styles

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
First of all, the VZW nexus does get its updates from Google. Verizon has to approve them first before they can get pushed to us. When we got leaks of 4.0.4, we were able to download them straight from a google site. No one has official Jelly Bean except for those who were at Google I/O. No one has received Jelly Bean via OTA. All of us running Jelly Bean who weren't at Google I/O or on a carrier branded Nexus (Verizon/Sprint) are running a custom ROM of some sort. There hasn't been a build from Google to be compatible with CDMA radios. We may get an official leak before Verizon pushes it from a Google server. You can load any of these on the a phone thats unlocked. If you are unrooted and want to stay that way and also want to receive OTA's in the future, you can install a leak should one come out or wait for the official OTA.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

So sick and tired of this Apple argument. Android is different, if you don't like it get an iphone. It's been like this for years, it's going to stay that way. The price you pay for having lots of top notch choices. HTC, Samsung, Motorola I like having those choices vs just Apple.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yadde