help- did I download spam/ad software

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
This morning I noticed new icons on my screen
1. A green one that says "MARKET"...it is not Android Market as far as I can tell, It gives me categories of apps

2. A green one called Droid Apps.... click om it says handango apps

3. Zillow.

I had downloaded some "Free" games last night.

none of these show up as downloaded apps or through the app store.

Under Apps..ALL... I have something called Market Feedback Agent...which I disabled but could not uninstall.. That's the closeset thing I could find

I also have Key Chain and Google Partner Set up which I think are legitmate parts of Android.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this handango, zillow and the fake Market?

Thank you

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Look for an ad detector by the same company that makes Lookout mobile security, I forget the name of it specifically. Also Airpush Detector. Between the 2 they should help clear out whatever spam apps you downloaded.

Gotta watch out for those free games, lol :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Look for an ad detector by the same company that makes Lookout mobile security, I forget the name of it specifically. Also Airpush Detector. Between the 2 they should help clear out whatever spam apps you downloaded.

Gotta watch out for those free games, lol :)

Lookout Ad Network Detector will scan for apps with adware. Uninstall the offending apps and you should be back in business.

Sent from my Jelly Bean-equipped device

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Don't pirate apps, most of them only cost a couple bucks anyway. You'll spend more on a latte from Starbucks.

No one discussed pirating. OP was downloading Play Store free apps. Unfortunately you'll find many questionable apps there contain these add/spam attachments.

Reactions: samkatz

smaccrea

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, no pirated apps here. In fact I'm all about the "if you put the work in for a useful product, I'll pay for it" philosophy. Just tracking down the issue among the free ones.

N2B8U

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Just ran lookout ad app. Most of the ad ware running is associated with this app for android central. LOL.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running Vicious Jelly Bean using Android Central Forums

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind apps that run adds within the app screen. When I first posted this I was getting pop ups or adds on my homescreen, and had new shortcuts to bogus stores and games I didn't ask for.

to clear up, of course I didn't pirate. I read about a game on line, downloaded it and then a few more.. I removed all of them and will never download a free game again. Appreciate all the tips. have some of those ad scanners installed and am not having the issue.

tx

Nadine Abrey

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Confirm that. I have a handango pup. Anytime I want to dl an app this fake selling page titled Handango pops up. I can't seem to remove it, because **I Can't get to an App Store!!" Gah, companies like this should be spammed by black hats if you ask me... A factory reset I suppose?

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Confirm that. I have a handango pup. Anytime I want to dl an app this fake selling page titled Handango pops up. I can't seem to remove it, because **I Can't get to an App Store!!" Gah, companies like this should be spammed by black hats if you ask me... A factory reset I suppose?

try going to the google play store from your computer browser. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...6/https://play.google.com/apps&token=jp5OIxqP or you can even open this on your device's browser just make sure to go to your prowser settings and select "show desktop site" i will say its 100% easyier to use the interface of the play site on a pc though.

select the device at the top and scroll through the apps installed on your device. find the one you want to get rid of and it the trash can icon next to it (uninstall) this should remove it from your device.

hope this helps.