Wait for Jelly Bean (4.1) ???

ajnevares

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Should i buy Galaxy Nexus now with 4.0, or wait until 4.1 (Jelly Bean) gets pre-installed onto the device?

I was in the same boat and went ahead and got it now. I am fairly new to all this but from what I am reading, its fairly simple to root and install 4.1 now. Apparently I am an idiot because I tried it and failed, haha, so I am still rocking ICS

Reactions: TruthX

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Current units will see the OTA before the existing on-hand stock gets sold through so there's no point in waiting. When its shipping with 4.1, current units will have it available as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I too am rather new to android win my recent purchase of a gnexus but being here in Canada with my nexus getting updates from Samsung I will be waiting months for 4.1. Maybe I will be more confident in my ability to just flash it on my phone before that update comes. Right now in a holding pattern. But I still think the nexus is an amazing phone and worth buying.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
The manufacturing run is probably over and all existing new units have ics. If you buy your gn after the ota then you will immediately get it upon activation.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Just buy a Galaxy S3. Way better Hardware. Buy the developer version for Verizon I just read about. Wait for a good working ROM for Jelly Bean and just add it.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Just buy a Galaxy S3. Way better Hardware. Buy the developer version for Verizon I just read about. Wait for a good working ROM for Jelly Bean and just add it.

the S3 is crap. After playing with it and a JB nexus i take the JB nexus over it any day of the week. by the time the s3 gets JB and the better processor becomes relevant i will be ready to upgrade to my next phone already. the samsung apps and skin suck balls.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

This is like advising a person looking for advise on a Corvette Z06 to buy a Ferrari F70. Well done. The gNex is very capable, 1/4 of the price, and arguably better than any phone out now anyway.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
This is like advising a person looking for advise on a Corvette Z06 to buy a Ferrari F70. Well done. The gNex is very capable, 1/4 of the price, and arguably better than any phone out now anyway.

You're not getting my point. I don't like touch wiz myself and I love my Jelly Bean Gnex but software aside If my Jelly Bean Rom had the Galaxy S3 hardware it would be a plus. If he roots his GS3 and puts a pure Jelly Bean rom on it(when they get one) it would be like having a Nexus magnified. Its like having a girlfriend with a great personality but she's a little over weight sure she has a great personality but if that personality were in a Model Type body it would be better.

b0bbert

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
This time next year, the gnex will be running Candy Cane, while s3'rs are still waiting for an official JB. Get the HSPA+ gnex. Can't beat the price and guaranteed official updates ahead of other devices.

blackjaguar25

Thunderbolter
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
This time next year, the gnex will be running Candy Cane, while s3'rs are still waiting for an official JB. Get the HSPA+ gnex. Can't beat the price and guaranteed official updates ahead of other devices.

So our software version will have moved backwards? :D

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You're not getting my point. I don't like touch wiz myself and I love my Jelly Bean Gnex but software aside If my Jelly Bean Rom had the Galaxy S3 hardware it would be a plus. If he roots his GS3 and puts a pure Jelly Bean rom on it(when they get one) it would be like having a Nexus magnified. Its like having a girlfriend with a great personality but she's a little over weight sure she has a great personality but if that personality were in a Model Type body it would be better.

LOL nice analogy.

I did get your point, but you must not be a car guy so you didn't get mine. I'll explain. You could buy a Z06 for $80k that will run with and/or outperform cars that cost many, many times more. Not to mention the aftermarket parts available for a Z06 vs. say a Ferrari. So you could get a gNex nowadays for 1 cent or $50 (on amazon) and it will run with or outperform a SGS3 for many times that cost. The dev community (aftermarket) for the gNex is unmatched and it'll likely outlive the SGS3 in regards of software rooted or not. Of course, that's just like my opinion man :p It'll definitely last till your next upgrade when things are likely to be truly incredible. SGS3 is incremental.

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I personally like Jelly Bean. The hardware isn't bad and I have no issues building Jelly Bean myself (just finished compiling). Is the Nexus for everyone? no. Not everyone can handle its awesomeness. I love being able to mix and match, tweak and return to stock and tether without having to root my phone. Its been by far the best android experience I have ever had (and I had a Hero which got ridiculous dev support). This phone takes me back to the good old days of Android.

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I understand that Flash is no longer being supported in new android starting w/JB. I really need to view some of my own websites which have flash in them, and some others.

Do I have the option of not installing the OTA when it comes? Is the new OTA going to be that essential that I should just kiss flash goodbye and update?