Anyone else fine Google Now cards not all that useful?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I generally don't find it all that useful. It will give me the current weather. I put in my home and work addresses so it will give me times to those. Never really pops up any other local cards. I was out in San Francisco and Napa last week. In Napa it kept wanting to tell me the distance to the UPS store. I suppose so I could ship wine maybe? Don't know. Also kept giving time to the restaurant next to our hotel that we never went to. I googled our flights a bunch of times but they never came up as cards. Not much useful in SF either. Didn't really give any handy public transportation routes or local restaurants like I'd hoped. Always offered me my home timezone.

It was useful if I wanted to ask it a question for it to search for something like our flights, but almost nothing "came up just as I needed it" as they say. Am I missing something?

lebeauc

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I haven't really used the cards too much, except for this past weekend. I was previously on my PC looking up directions to a party we were heading too, and then when we left, I opened Google Now and it already had the traffic to the party and gave me the option to navigate there, which I thought was pretty cool.

Other then that, the only cared I get are traffic to work and home, current weather and the red sox score (since I googled it once).

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
This weekend, I was out and about, taking public transportation all over the city. I found the cards useful in terms of letting me know how long it'd take to get from one destination to the next.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't know. I also often get lots of cards for various places when I'm in different neighborhoods, even if I haven't searched for any.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I generally don't find it all that useful. It will give me the current weather. I put in my home and work addresses so it will give me times to those. Never really pops up any other local cards. I was out in San Francisco and Napa last week. In Napa it kept wanting to tell me the distance to the UPS store. I suppose so I could ship wine maybe? Don't know. Also kept giving time to the restaurant next to our hotel that we never went to. I googled our flights a bunch of times but they never came up as cards. Not much useful in SF either. Didn't really give any handy public transportation routes or local restaurants like I'd hoped. Always offered me my home timezone.

It was useful if I wanted to ask it a question for it to search for something like our flights, but almost nothing "came up just as I needed it" as they say. Am I missing something?

The more it gets used (and the more you use Google services) the more it 'learns' and will produce cards relevant to you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

capnfatpants

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm also a little disheartened by G-Now's usefulness. I've searched for the score of the Cleveland Indians games, their schedule and all sorts of stuff just to get a card to come up and it never does. It gives me the card for the time to get home as soon as I get to work, but when I'm ready to leave work, the card for home is hidden. I've had it for about 2 weeks and I keep using it, hoping it will learn me and my life like a good android servant should.

Also, I miss the arrow for the auto-complete in the search bar.

-capn

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm also a little disheartened by G-Now's usefulness. I've searched for the score of the Cleveland Indians games, their schedule and all sorts of stuff just to get a card to come up and it never does. It gives me the card for the time to get home as soon as I get to work, but when I'm ready to leave work, the card for home is hidden. I've had it for about 2 weeks and I keep using it, hoping it will learn me and my life like a good android servant should.

Also, I miss the arrow for the auto-complete in the search bar.

-capn

You have to enable web history... On your computer go to your google account settings, last option "Go to web history", make sure it isn't Paused on top.

Reactions: capnfatpants

peterlemonjello

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I disabled after I realized how bad it was draining my battery. Maps continuously wakes the device when Google Now is enabled. I saw a huge difference after I disabled it.

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I searched for a Pirates score once and it now gives me cards for upcoming games, in game scores and post game recaps and score.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I was meeting with someone for lunch today, so Google Now gave me a notification and card telling me what time I had to leave by in order to get there on time. The card also provided directions and a link for navigation. Pretty awesome.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I was meeting with someone for lunch today, so Google Now gave me a notification and card telling me what time I had to leave by in order to get there on time. The card also provided directions and a link for navigation. Pretty awesome.

You had the appointment on your calendar right? If so that's pretty sweet.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Word that's sweet!

I'm happy with it showing me the weather, time/directions home, yankee scores during and after a game and preview before it, and next few subway times whenever I'm near a track. Everything else is a bonus and that says a lot, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
You had the appointment on your calendar right? If so that's pretty sweet.

Yes. I had the appointment in my calendar, and I had added the location (name and address) of the lunch spot in the "Where" line in the appointment.

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I asked Google now what the score to the Pirates game was....she told me the score and the inning....after that I get previews of every game and scores during with a recap after.

credo

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I love it. It gives me the Red Sox updates and next game. Reminds of appointments and shows the route and traffic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz