Nav bar burn in?

bigrednemo

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Had the phone since launch, loved every second of it. As I was watching a full screen video, I can now see a definite line/burn in effect where the nav bar would normally be. The buttons don't show, but the effect is there for the full width/depth of where the bar normally is. Is anyone else having this problem? 8 months in and I don't want it to get to a horrible level.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I saw this on my VZW Galaxy Nexus back in April. It was pretty easy to see when I was
watching videos on it.

When I brought it to the local VZW corporate store, they told me it was quite common
on the AMOLED screens on Samsung phones. I told them that AMOLED shoudln't
have "burn-in" problems like that. Well... it turned out that they were right and I was
wrong.

Fortunately, they replaced it with a CLN Galaxy Nexus for me. (took 3 days to arrive)
After almost 3 months, it's still okay, but only because I now use a screensaver app
to prevent this...(plus frequent switching to full screen video watchin)

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
it is typical for AMOLED screens....just one of the fall backs of having such a great screen.

i feel like i SHOULD see it a lot more than i do....but i just dont see it much. i have my phone on the dock at work and i would say the screen is on for 50% of the time (thats like 4 hours a day) plus the time I use it outside of work....when i watch full screen videos, i can just barely see where the nav bar and status bar were. but only if i look...it doesn't stand out at all.

however, i do notice it quite a bit if i ever hide my status bar (with a custom launcher) i definitely notice a lighter tone to the screen where the status bar usually is...

but, even with the burn in...i still would rather have an AMOLED screen over an LCD any day. i just LOVE the true blacks.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Last Christmas, I bought a Samsung 55-inch LED HDTV. It has started getting burn-in
problems that wouldn't go away. This is partly my fault, as 99% of the stuff I watch are
4:3. The left/right sides of the screen(the black parts) are now a lot brighter and I can see
the lines on either side. :( Best Buy and Samsung both told me to shove it up my rear
end(i.e. nothing they can do about such problems on a $3000 TV :( )

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Last Christmas, I bought a Samsung 55-inch LED HDTV. It has started getting burn-in
problems that wouldn't go away. This is partly my fault, as 99% of the stuff I watch are
4:3. The left/right sides of the screen(the black parts) are now a lot brighter and I can see
the lines on either side. :( Best Buy and Samsung both told me to shove it up my rear
end(i.e. nothing they can do about such problems on a $3000 TV :( )

I'd be furious! Thankfully I set all of our cable boxes to display in full screen when on a standard channel. Only concern is while watching an HD channel when the program isn't broadcast in HD. Maybe you should check into doing that. Its odd though because you have the same TV I do and its basically an LCD with LED back lighting. You must leave it on for long periods but its still unacceptable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Muddyml

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've just noticed it since upgrading to JB never noticed it before hopefully it will be easily fixable.

+1

I notice its worse the dimmer the screen is. If I increase the brightness of the screen it goes away.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
This is a good reason why the navigation bar background should have adjustable transparency. I don't think I've seen these on any ROMs yet. I could be mistaken though. I haven't had it on any of my ROMs yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
This is a good reason why the navigation bar background should have adjustable transparency. I don't think I've seen these on any ROMs yet. I could be mistaken though. I haven't had it on any of my ROMs yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I stopped by the local VZW corporate store today to pick up a new SIM card.
(dog ate the old one... YES, I'm absolutely serious... my girlfriend's dog at it
after I dropped it on the floor)

Anyway, I looked at the store's display Galaxy Nexus and it had SEVERE
burn-in on the home screen. The nav bar and all the home screen icons/widgets
were burned-in, but that was probably because they left the screen to never turn
off at the store?

jhtheking

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
My phone was having trouble charging and would keep waking up to the unlock screen. Now I have the lock icon burned in. Not too big of a deal though as I hardly watch movies.