How will you feel if VZW Galaxy S3 & HTC get Jelly Bean first?

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
As someone who works in software testing, I can tell you overlap testing happens all the time...specifically with interim patches. You don't simply halt major testing on a big release when you have to ready a patch that "fixes" one particular area of the software. Nor do you have to re-test the entire application if the interim build only affects a specific portion of the software. That would be unrealistic in terms of time and it would also be an inefficient use of resources.

Once the interim patch has been tested and deployed into production, it's then merged and integrated into the next major release being tested. Re-testing is performed only for the affected area that was patched. Later regression testing will hopefully catch any other anomalies that pop up as an effect of an interim build that was not caught during initial testing (before it was deployed to a production build).

Of course it all depends on how extensive the change is AND not every company's test process is the same as others.

I doubt Verizon would have the foresight to be that efficient. Otherwise IMM76K wouldn't have taken as long as it did.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: How will you feel if VZW Galaxy S3 & HTC get Jelly Bean first

I doubt Verizon would have the foresight to be that efficient. Otherwise IMM76K wouldn't have taken as long as it did.

Although, one could argue it only took 4 weeks, for that was roughly the time period between leaking it and rolling it out.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Well I'm not trying to defend Verizon here, I'm just saying that interim builds don't necessarily have to delay future deployments. Besides, without really knowing Verizon's test process or resources, it'll be difficult to determine exactly what their inefficiencies are...if any.

cbbartley

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Anybody read the news that the Samsung has pretty much finished testing JB for the GS3 and is basically waiting for the OK from Google to roll it out?

That would be a serious blow to Verizon Nexus owners. Of course not to those who have rooted and booted, but to the thinking that the Nexus line got official OTAs quicker than any other phone. Many have been defending that as something that would hold true, but the GS3 is challenging that notion and taking the rug out from a lot of techies who nudged friends, family, and otherwise based on this.

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Anybody read the news that the Samsung has pretty much finished testing JB for the GS3 and is basically waiting for the OK from Google to roll it out?

That would be a serious blow to Verizon Nexus owners. Of course not to those who have rooted and booted, but to the thinking that the Nexus line got official OTAs quicker than any other phone. Many have been defending that as something that would hold true, but the GS3 is challenging that notion and taking the rug out from a lot of techies who nudged friends, family, and otherwise based on this.

I had this thought earlier but then remembered that just because Google has approved it means Verizon will still have to test it. So I'm not to worried.
And as for the phone not being updated as we feel as timely ya shouldn't get one controlled by a carrier. Yes its cheaper but comes with a cost (and honestly now the unlocked from Google is only what $50 more then of was for me to buy on launch day with an update.
I have learned to stick with unlocked and gsm. I love Verizon service but I like to get the updates and because the world uses gsm, gsm is the more supported device. Just like Apple and the iPhone for how many years. Just my many thoughts.

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
It now seems more likely that Verizon's Samsung Galaxy S3 and certain Verizon/HTC phones
will receive Jelly Bean OTA first. (BEFORE the VZW CDMA Galaxy Nexus)

Yes, anybody can get Jelly Bean on their VZW Galaxy Nexus right now by flashing it, but
that's not the point...

How will you feel if this really happens?

I could care less. I stopped relying on Verizon for technical support and firmware releases two phones ago!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Isamu982

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Since when does 'samsung has pretty much finished testing' equate to 'verizon has even started testing'. Here's a hint: it doesn't.

cbbartley

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Since when does 'samsung has pretty much finished testing' equate to 'verizon has even started testing'. Here's a hint: it doesn't.

It doesn't. But for them to moving on this stage, and Verizon soak testing a variant of ICS on the Nexus should raise an eyebrow. Taking into account this period of time for soak testing, then the period of time for them to get the OTA out, and the time to soak test JB; we could conceivably see JB on GS3 first.

I love when the geniuses give hints in the forums. It makes life so much easier for everyone else.:confused:

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I've learned through Verizon from phones in the past, that I don't expect OS updates. It almost kept me from getting the s3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't. But for them to moving on this stage, and Verizon soak testing a variant of ICS on the Nexus should raise an eyebrow. Taking into account this period of time for soak testing, then the period of time for them to get the OTA out, and the time to soak test JB; we could conceivably see JB on GS3 first.

I love when the geniuses give hints in the forums. It makes life so much easier for everyone else.:confused:

The gs3 will not get JB first.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

Perhaps, but that's a Verizon issue, not necessarily a Galaxy Nexus issue.

yes... Verizon is trying to get rid of the Galaxy Nexus.

my local VZW corporate store no longer has the Galaxy Nexus on display. it was removed last week. :(
for some strange reason, they have 5 working Galaxy S3 on display now. all white.... :(

FramCire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Nexus JB was completed weeks ago. GS3 just got done? How does that make it likely it comes quicker.

In the end, Verizon might push Motorola phones as quickly as possible. However Samsung and HTC don't usually get a quick push.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance