How will you feel if VZW Galaxy S3 & HTC get Jelly Bean first?

draftpeppin

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: How will you feel if VZW Galaxy S3 & HTC get Jelly Bean first

Has anyone discussed the issue of why the testing is so complicated and long for verizon when they know there are a few folks out there who got their Nexus up to a custom JB? Isn't that pretty good evidence that JB won't break their network? Or whatever it is they're so worried about that's taking their quality control people so long?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone discussed the issue of why the testing is so complicated and long for verizon when they know there are a few folks out there who got their Nexus up to a custom JB? Isn't that pretty good evidence that JB won't break their network? Or whatever it is they're so worried about that's taking their quality control people so long?

Not necessarily; those of us on JB now are using the same exact baseband/radios as you all. All signs point to the JB OTA having new radios, so our own experiences don't really matter...at least that much.

FramCire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Rooting is not an ethical issue. The courts have said rooting is legal. Nothing in your contract forbids rooting. Tue "high road" argument is flat out not an issue.

I am not rooted on this devise. I am waiting for radios to be updated to decide if this devise is good enough as is to keep or if I need to have Verizon change me to a new devise. Once I decide the radio is good enough to keep, I will probably root.

As for JB, there is NO evidence VZW S3 would get JB before VZW Galnex.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

I've been running the Jelly Bean Bugless Beast ROM on my Galaxy Nexus for a few weeks now. It's every bit as good - if not better - than whatever OTA Verizon will eventually push. It's as close to a stock JB experience as possible. Highly recommended.

rosser

Former Advisor
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site

I think that because this device is meant to be flashed, rooted, ROMed and whatnot, Verizon is taking their sweet time updating. Mainly because they know that most GNex owners are very capable of install source-built version of Jelly Bean. This isn't right, because the whole point of the Nexus, is to get updates first, but I think that this is honestly what is happening. Verizon isn't making this their highest priority obviously.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I think that because this device is meant to be flashed, rooted, ROMed and whatnot, Verizon is taking their sweet time updating. Mainly because they know that most GNex owners are very capable of install source-built version of Jelly Bean. This isn't right, because the whole point of the Nexus, is to get updates first, but I think that this is honestly what is happening. Verizon isn't making this their highest priority obviously.

Totally disagree.. the fact that its easily unlocked and toyed with has nothing to do with VZW's delay... they certainly don't want to encourage people to unlock and flash stuff.

VZW takes a long time to test OTA's, for every device, they aren't taking longer with this phone for any reason. It's the same process for every single phone on their network.

And again, lets respect what was asked before and try to keep the whole rooting vs. not rooting discussion out of here :)
Dmmarck was kind enough to make a thread to localize that discussion all we want to: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/203602-pro-root-v-anti-root-some-thoughts.html

:)

DEES_BANGER

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a blackberry ive had my g nex since the beginning of the year (& its done way more in a few months then what my blackberry did in 3yrs smh) im still kind of new to the android experience so im still enjoying ics for now.. But it still sucks to see other phones getting it before the "google owned phone" and im a stock person no rooting for me! So guess i just have to be patient and wait..

Sent from my Gnex

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

BTW, I'm going to put this here:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/08/2...eed&utm_campaign=Feed:+DroidLife+(droid+life)

Lest I forget this :))):

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-official-jelly-bean-jro03o-verizon-gnex.html

And lastly, this:

62cc2c04-2965-76a1.jpg

(Notice the baseband :))

So yeah, based upon what we know, this has been testing for a couple of weeks and based upon the usual timeframe from leak to OTA, expect it to rollout in 2-4 weeks. As I'm writing this, no US GS3, particularly the Verizon version, or any of the HTC series, have a leaked official JB build. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist--it's simply not public and not available.

Also, I find it somewhat ironic that this leaked on the day the GS3 was supposed to be updated :).

Last edited:

bulvine420

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I hate seeing theses dumbass threads if you got a Nexus you should be rooted any moron can do it (there are one click tools out now) jelly bean has been on the Verizon galaxy nexus from day one so stop crying. Also one click tools to go back to stock for warranty repair reasons. So there is no excuse to not be rooted and enjoying some jelly bean. Man the f up and root your nexus.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Let's stop having threads shift from the actual topic to root v. non-root. So yeah, let's stop this line of discussion on all sides, ok?

Also, I'm quoting this post because it's the last one that should address this topic. Thanks.

I hate seeing theses dumbass threads if you got a Nexus you should be rooted any moron can do it (there are one click tools out now) jelly bean has been on the Verizon galaxy nexus from day one so stop crying. Also one click tools to go back to stock for warranty repair reasons. So there is no excuse to not be rooted and enjoying some jelly bean. Man the f up and root your nexus.

Let me use this as a reminder this thread is not about root v. not rooting. Also, rooting has nothing to do with masculinity. Thanks :p

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

But it still sucks to see other phones getting it before the "google owned phone" and im a stock person no rooting for me! So guess i just have to be patient and wait.

Wait. What? Have I not been paying attention? What non-Nexus phones have gotten officially updated to Jelly Bean at this point?

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I don't expect it will be too long before we see an update notification on our phones. Maybe a couple weeks from now. Also, even if Samsung has already built an update for the CDMA Galaxy S III, Verizon will put that OTA through the exact same process it is putting ours through. They've already sold those S III's, so why would they give priority to them if our OTA was put up for testing sooner? Yes, some S III's abroad are getting their JB update, but those are all GSM phones, and no non-Nexus phone in the US has Jelly Bean yet.

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree only an apple troll would see development for a Google platform as a legitimate aspiration :)

cbbartley

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

....They've already sold those S III's, so why would they give priority to them if our OTA was put up for testing sooner? Yes, some S III's abroad are getting their JB update, but those are all GSM phones, and no non-Nexus phone in the US has Jelly Bean yet.

Because the S3s are the best selling phone on the network.

Sprint's Nexus phones are officially being updated to JB....shameful!

slave2theaxe

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Because the S3s are the best selling phone on the network.

Sprint's Nexus phones are officially being updated to JB....shameful!

Again... Sprint's Nexus got 4.0.4 before we did too. This is nothing new...Why exactly is everyone so pissed off?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC