Would the Verizon version be OK to get?

PDFierro3

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I have heard the horror stories. I'm on Verizon already and would prefer to stay, but not if the Verizon version of the Galaxy Nexus is going to be a terrible experience.

I've been considering leaving Verizon and getting the GSM Nexus from Google, but are most of the problems with the Verizon Nexus now gone?

That seems to be the case from what I read on here. What kind of battery life should I be expecting with the 2100mah extended battery? I'm curious if anyone has gone 3G-only, does that work seamless on the device and offer much improved battery life?

I'm hoping I would be able to make it through a day's usage. I do realize I would have to wait for Jelly Bean, though. Has this Nexus gotten better or is the Verizon model really a bad one to own?

Thanks!

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I love being in 4G too, but since I've switched to 3G and using wifi when at work I usually get about 2 hours of on screen time, which ranges from 15 hours to over 24 hours of use, depending on how much I'm on my phone throughout the day. But definitely gets me through the whole day, no problems. Hope that helps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I stay on 3G too, unless I'm not near wi-fi and need the speed. But honestly, I've lived with 3G on all my other phones so it doesn't really bother me. I got the 2100 mAh battery and I'm at 60% or greater at the end of the night when I plug it in.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I've had the Verizon version since launch and it's been fine. The only problem I had was when I dropped it and broke the screen, which required me to get a replacement. I don't even use an extended battery.

mkurz12

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my 2nd Nexus. First one had a signal issue. This one is a refurbished device and works perfectly. Couldn't be happier with it.
I take the phone off the charger at 6:30am and using wifi. Then 3G from 7:15 to 8:30. I'm in 4G from about 8:30am to 6:30pm. I charge it on the way home from 6:30 until 7:15. Then back on wifi at home. It's 11:09pm now and I have 40% on a stock battery. Running locked and unrooted. Moderate to heavy use.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

slave2theaxe

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had almost no issues with my VZW GNex. The only thing I can really think to "complain" about was before the 4.0.4 update, it would randomly reboot maybe once or twice a week, but has been rock solid ever since. Now I'm rooted and running JB. Absolutley ZERO complaints. Amazing phone!

As with anything, there are some bad units out there...if you happen to get a bad one, return it and get another.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I havent had any issues with my Nexus before I rooted (which was only 2 days ) ,or after rooting and custom rom .Had it since launch day no replacement has been required .Even the stock battery last long enough for me ,average 18hrs on a single charge.:)

Well,the only complaint I can think of is that vzw doesnt officialy allow google wallet,but at least there are download links here to get it ,and DL to your phone

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Had the Nexus since launch. When it was running 4.0.2 it was a little rough, but 4.0.4 fixed pretty much every serious issue people were having. I'm running a jelly bean ROM now and it just makes this phone shine even more.

I use the standard battery and I run 4g when I'm not on wifi (but I'm on wifi probably 19 hours of my 24 hr day between work and home)

I probably average 1-2 hours of screen on time, and it'll last from 8am till about 2 am the following morning with about 15-20% remaining. Everybody is different when it comes to phone usage. I can tell you right now that if you plan on playing with this phone for hours on end you better expect to have a charger with you and to be able to plug in when needed, it will NOT last you anywhere near a full day if you spend hours a day playing games or surfing the web, 2100mah battery or not. If you are in a position where you will have a charger readily available to you a majority of your day (in the car, at work, at home) i wouldn't worry about battery life one bit, but even if not its not as big of a nightmare as some make it out to be.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'd get the S3 if I were buying a phone today but I've been happy with the GN which I got when they launched it. I have an extended battery which helps a lot, the extended batteries only cost $20 so there is no reason not to get one. The battery life on 4.0.4 with the extended battery was very good, I was generally down to 60% at the end of the day, with Jelly Bean I'm down to 25% at the end of the day.

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have had mine since launch day and I have had some signal issues but it has been better lately. I believe that the 4.0.4 update may have helped some. Previous signal issues and slow updates aside, I love this phone. I will never get a non-Nexus device again due to its ease of Rooting/ROMing. I am currently on CM10 JB and love it. In my opinion it's still the best phone on the market.

As for the battery, I can get up to 30hrs on a 2100mah depending on my usage. I am using Wi-Fi and have about 2-3 hrs on screen time to get that amount of time. If you use 4G only, I expect about half that time.

Hope this helps.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
OP, you didn't mention if money was a factor in getting the Nexus. For $99 on contract, you won't find a better phone out there for the money. Money aside, your post seemed to indicate not unlocking and rooting. This is one of the bonuses of having a Nexus. Spec-wise, it's hard to top the SGSIII right now. Personally, I have had no real issues with my phone besides the occasional dropping of 4G, only to have it connect again in the same spot about 10 minutes later.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

PDFierro3

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
This is all great to hear, thanks. I would be going 3G-only, but I don't have a problem with that. Especially if it gets me all-day battery life.

Regarding my usage, I don't drive so I would be using Google Maps quite frequently for transit. Not that frequently, but enough. Other than that, I'm not that heavy of a user. Just the basic things that everyone else does. Easily make it through the day doing those things?

I can assume the signal issues are gone? Especially if I'm only on 3G? I guess if I just get a good unit, then I'm all set.

Initially I wasn't going to root and install a custom ROM, but now I will be.

One question: I'm curious how big in file size the typical HD movie from Google Play would be? Is it comparable to iTunes?

Thanks again for all the responses. Before it seemed like the Verizon Nexus was a screw-up, but it seems like a good device if you customize it right. Staying on Verizon has always been my preference as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay