08-02-2012 06:30 AM
29 12
tools
    I read that sprint just got an ota and the next update there phone will get will be jelly bean
    Any thoughts?
    07-29-2012 12:34 AM
    I read that sprint just got an ota and the next update there phone will get will be jelly bean
    Any thoughts?
    Verizon probably won't release the OTA Jelly Bean update for Galaxy Nexus until
    December or January.
    07-29-2012 02:00 AM
    Verizon probably won't release the OTA Jelly Bean update for Galaxy Nexus until
    December or January.
    I disagree with this. I am going to say Verizon gets it first by September and sprint gets it shortly after.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    ejaymd11 likes this.
    07-29-2012 09:26 AM
    Sprints ota doesn't seem to be going put to many phones at all. There might be a problem of some sort.

Sent from far far away....
    07-29-2012 09:49 AM
    Sprint will get it first. Cause they really don't have a 4g network to really worry bout. Verizon has to get it working with both 3 and 4g. But I'm hopefully wrong with that guess cause I have the Verizon version

07-29-2012 12:36 PM
    I disagree with this. I am going to say Verizon gets it first by September and sprint gets it shortly after.

ooops... the latest word seems to indicated a release date of August 15.
    Keeping my fingers crossed!
    07-29-2012 01:02 PM
    Sprint will get it first. Cause they really don't have a 4g network to really worry bout. Verizon has to get it working with both 3 and 4g. But I'm hopefully wrong with that guess cause I have the Verizon version

It would be highly irresponsible of Sprint to not test it on 4G. It's bad enough they were selling LTE phones without any LTE service. And here I could've sworn Sprint was the first widespread LTE carrier....

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    07-29-2012 01:17 PM
    Where did you hear this?

ooops... the latest word seems to indicated a release date of August 15.
    Keeping my fingers crossed!
    07-29-2012 01:26 PM
    It would be highly irresponsible of Sprint to not test it on 4G. It's bad enough they were selling LTE phones without any LTE service. And here I could've sworn Sprint was the first widespread LTE carrier....

I bought my first new BMW(5-series wagon) a few years ago. It can easily top 130mph or more,
    but I haven't been able to do so, since we don't have autobahns in the US. I think BMW
    should not be allowed to sell them because we don't have the roads for it. (same reason
    Sprint and other carriers shouldn't be allowed to sell 4G phones when there's not 4G
    network to run them on)
    07-29-2012 01:38 PM
    Where did you hear this?
    the "other" popular Android forum... but I got a warning from the mods
    previously for mentioning that site's name on this forum. I'll just
    say it's called Android - - c - - - . You fill in the blank.
    07-29-2012 01:39 PM
    Let's hope they're right!

07-29-2012 01:43 PM
    I bought my first new BMW(5-series wagon) a few years ago. It can easily top 130mph or more,
    but I haven't been able to do so, since we don't have autobahns in the US. I think BMW
    should not be allowed to sell them because we don't have the roads for it. (same reason
    Sprint and other carriers shouldn't be allowed to sell 4G phones when there's not 4G
    network to run them on)
    But it's a car. If you want to max its speed, you can race them around a track. There's no such thing for phones.

07-29-2012 01:44 PM
    But it's a car. If you want to max its speed, you can race them around a track. There's no such thing for phones.

I actually looked into that... there's a racetrack near me and being the responsible citizen
    that I am, I checked with my insurance first. Obviously, I knew my insurance would NOT
    cover me on the racetrack. However, I was quite shocked that my auto insurance policy
    had a line that specifically said if my insured vehicle had ever been used on a racetrack
    for whatever reason, the police would be terminated immediately. (even if nothing happens
    to the vehicle) Of course, I'm not sure how the insurance company can ever find out
    unless I willingly informed them? I asked a neighbor who's a State Farm agent. (only
    because my auto insurance is with another company). She explained the State Farm
    has a similar policy. She's a frequent of this forum, so she explained that it was like
    rooting the phones. Once the phone has been rooted, the warranty no long applies.
    The phone manufacture and cell carrier can easily see that it was rooted, even if you
    carefully restore it back.
    07-29-2012 02:02 PM
    Well that's kinda dumb considering you're required by law to have auto insurance.

So it's like rooting and losing warranty, but the law requires that all citizens have warranty at all times or face punishments.

07-29-2012 02:07 PM
    I'm betting Sprint, but only by a few weeks. JB will not even have 1% penetration by that time, so the difference wont really matter.
    well... it matters to those of use who still have Verizon Galaxy Nexus phones
    and prefer not to root/flash JB.
    07-29-2012 02:30 PM
    We don't have any problems mentioning other sites or forums. People might have their own opinions or things to say about them, but you are free to mention a news source all you like as far as I'm concerned

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Rezounder likes this.
    07-29-2012 06:04 PM
    well... it matters to those of use who still have Verizon Galaxy Nexus phones
    and prefer not to root/flash JB.
    We should not have to root for an ota like this rooting should just be for fun and making your phone do awesome thing while your phone already has the latest software of course.
    07-29-2012 06:39 PM
    It matters to *some* if us. As a GN owner on VZW who prefers not to flash, I could be fine with Sprint having it first a few weeks just as long as when it comes out it's as stable as 4.0.4 was.

It's not like any if us is waiting on this ota to fix anything.
    I hope it fixes these signal issues.
    07-29-2012 08:49 PM
    I actually looked into that... there's a racetrack near me and being the responsible citizen
    that I am, I checked with my insurance first. Obviously, I knew my insurance would NOT
    cover me on the racetrack. However, I was quite shocked that my auto insurance policy
    had a line that specifically said if my insured vehicle had ever been used on a racetrack
    for whatever reason, the police would be terminated immediately. (even if nothing happens
    to the vehicle) Of course, I'm not sure how the insurance company can ever find out
    unless I willingly informed them? I asked a neighbor who's a State Farm agent. (only
    because my auto insurance is with another company). She explained the State Farm
    has a similar policy. She's a frequent of this forum, so she explained that it was like
    rooting the phones. Once the phone has been rooted, the warranty no long applies.
    The phone manufacture and cell carrier can easily see that it was rooted, even if you
    carefully restore it back.
    Ok, WAY off topic here, but:

I've been racing cars for a LONG time (primarily drag racing, although some road course and rally). There are a few tricks to keep the pesky insurance companies from knowing you were at the race track. The biggies, are the following:

1. Remove license plates just before entering said racetrack property
    2. Electrical tape over your VIN, and any Registration/Inspection stickers on your windshield.
    3. Profit.
    07-29-2012 10:33 PM
    Ok, WAY off topic here, but:

I've been racing cars for a LONG time (primarily drag racing, although some road course and rally). There are a few tricks to keep the pesky insurance companies from knowing you were at the race track. The biggies, are the following:

1. Remove license plates just before entering said racetrack property
    2. Electrical tape over your VIN, and any Registration/Inspection stickers on your windshield.
    3. Profit.
    that's exactly what I was told at the track... (I was never there, of course)
    in addition, he said I should take my registration & insurance card out of
    the car.... it really made me wonder..... do insurance companies have
    spies who sit at the track entrance or something?
    07-29-2012 10:46 PM
    that's exactly what I was told at the track... (I was never there, of course)
    in addition, he said I should take my registration & insurance card out of
    the car.... it really made me wonder..... do insurance companies have
    spies who sit at the track entrance or something?
    Yes some insurance companies do send spies out to the tracks. It is widely known when tracks have open to the public race days and special event days. If your insurance company suspects you are using your vehicle that they cover for racing the will send someone out to have a look. I know of a few people that have had there insurance dropped for racing at tracks.
    07-30-2012 02:46 AM
    Yes some insurance companies do send spies out to the tracks. It is widely known when tracks have open to the public race days and special event days. If your insurance company suspects you are using your vehicle that they cover for racing the will send someone out to have a look. I know of a few people that have had there insurance dropped for racing at tracks.

that's just as bad as phone manufacturers denying warranty claims on rooted phones.
    unless the rooting process directly caused the malfunction.

Back to the Sprint vs VZW issue. VZW is not going to care who releases Jelly Bean
    OTA first. The only one who may have some influence is Google, but I don't see
    Google doing anything in the foreseeable future.
    07-30-2012 03:58 AM
    network to run them on)
    Why do people always want to compare phones to cars? Half the time the analogies don't even make sense.
    07-30-2012 11:40 PM
    Google has already released the Jelly Bean binaries for the VZW GNex and have already mentioned that updating the Sprint GNex is not a priority at this point.
    icewater106 likes this.
    07-31-2012 03:49 PM
    Link to the JB binaries?

08-01-2012 01:29 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD