Farewell Galaxy Nexus

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
My journey with the Galaxy Nexus has came to an end. I tried to love this phone as much as I can, and I believe it has the potential to be the best phone on the market, but the problems I keep getting just won't push it to that status. My journey started with me purchasing this phone for 300 dollars + taxes. My first device was presenting signal issues, under cell standby my phone wouldn't have signal 40% of the time. I got a replacement device and the 2nd one did the exact same thing. I got offered a 3rd device. That third one decided to fail on me and completely brick (yes it exists, the CPU fails and the phone fails to get out of boot loop). I wasn't able to lock my device because it kept failing to push the boot loader on it. Odin completely bricked it by it not turning on anymore by wiping everything on the phone (which means they can't tell if I ever unlocked in the first place). My 4th device decided to have signal drops. I'd have full bars, then out of no where I'd have an x on my signals and numerous drop calls because of this issue. Called in again and got offered a S3. Something I couldn't turn down due to all these issues. I wanted to love this phone so much, and I know I'm going to miss playing around with it and going to miss the awesome developer care we have, but I was forced to move on. With that said, good luck to everyone who has no problems, seems like to me you guys are the lucky ones :/. Farewell Galaxy Nexus section of Android central.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Some folks are better with manufacturer carrier bloated phones. Just b lucky u got a replacement exchange device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Seems like the majority of GNex's have something faulty.. It seems like I've heard this story 100 times.. It seems like Verizon/Samsung are wasting a lot of money trying to send replacement phones..

S3 looks like an incredible phone.. Who cares about bloat when you can root?

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Seems like the majority of GNex's have something faulty.. It seems like I've heard this story 100 times.. It seems like Verizon/Samsung are wasting a lot of money trying to send replacement phones..

My first GNex was a bad unit but my current one is good :) Sorry to hear your bad luck, but best of luck with your next device! Go for the S3!

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Some folks are better with manufacturer carrier bloated phones. Just b lucky u got a replacement exchange device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Oh believe me, I consider myself very lucky to even be offered a phone like the S3 (which hasn't even been out a month for Verizon). I felt like there was no end to these faulty devices i was getting. It was an offer I wouldn't even dare to refuse.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

To thank the majority of GNex owners are even on Android forums is mistake. On top of that the loudest voice is always the one complaining, in other words if your not having problems your really not starting a thread. So you will always hear about the problems more then you hear about the non problems.

gemtwin74

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
On my 4th GN hoping to just get 1 that works. Every Tues since End of June been getting a new Refurbished phone.

rxmorph

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
To thank the majority of GNex owners are even on Android forums is mistake. On top of that the loudest voice is always the one complaining, in other words if your not having problems your really not starting a thread. So you will always hear about the problems more then you hear about the non problems.

True, true.. Although I've read on numerous websites/forums where people report the same most common issues with this phone (signal drops and inbound audio in my case/outbound audio mutes). I finally gave in after the signal drops became worse and inbound audio mutes were becoming too annoying. They are sending me a replacement and I should receive it tomorrow. Although with threads/experiences such as these, one can understand how I'm pretty skeptical about it working properly. Yes, there are many Gnex owners who don't use this forum or any other for that matter and probably have fully functional devices, but at the same time there are also many who don't use this forum or post their problems on-line to begin with (lady at local Verizon store & my sister-in-law). So....

..I have to agree with this comment.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Look on the bright side: This is a phone and not a car. Imagine having such hardware issues on a $35,000 car!

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
True, true.. Although I've read on numerous websites/forums where people report the same most common issues with this phone (signal drops and inbound audio in my case/outbound audio mutes). I finally gave in after the signal drops became worse and inbound audio mutes were becoming too annoying. They are sending me a replacement and I should receive it tomorrow. Although with threads/experiences such as these, one can understand how I'm pretty skeptical about it working properly. Yes, there are many Gnex owners who don't use this forum or any other for that matter and probably have fully functional devices, but at the same time there are also many who don't use this forum or post their problems on-line to begin with (lady at local Verizon store & my sister-in-law).

Agreed.

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
The signal issues on mine were horrible on LTE. When I put it in CDMA only it worked like a charm, but having a 4G phone that only will work right on 3G is not the way I wanted to spend the next 20 months. I decided I would exchange it for another shot at the Nexus lottery but the second one had signal problems also.. Couldn't even hold a signal long enough to attach my Google account to it. Oh well... Back to my Bolt.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
went through 6 months and 3 Gnex's and was frustrated by the inability to use it as a phone. Mic cut out on every one no matter what os version. Now have a Motorola Razr and am happier than a clam. Only thing I miss is the cool panorama picture function.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh believe me, I consider myself very lucky to even be offered a phone like the S3 (which hasn't even been out a month for Verizon). I felt like there was no end to these faulty devices i was getting. It was an offer I wouldn't even dare to refuse.

You will love the GS3.... I have a Nexus on the way to replace my Razr... Lol... I already have a GS3... The nexus is for my biz line

Sent from my GS3....

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
You will love the GS3.... I have a Nexus on the way to replace my Razr... Lol... I already have a GS3... The nexus is for my biz line

Sent from my GS3....

Ahh I would think that you would use the S3 for business. The Nexus reception overall isn't that strong like the Razr or the S3. But then again maybe it would work out better!

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus has been flawless since launch day. My wives had a bad screen but her second one has been good. I only know one other person with a Nexus and his has been flawless also. Lancaster Pa must have gotten a bunch of good ones.

Z Fury

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus has started the "inbound sound/muted mic" issue ever since the 4.0.4 patch. If I could bounce to the S3 like the OP did, I would in a second. I just don't know if I feel like putting up with a barrage of refurb'd Nexus phones and the run-around from Verizon.

Much like the OP, I really want to love this phone. But overall, I need the "phone" part of it to work.

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I just got a used gnex. I don't talk much so don't know about the inbound/ outbound sound issues. I do however noticed that away that my reception at home is barely there, sometimes even gone. My dinc had great reception at home. If by worst case it get worse am I screwed because it's a uses phone? Or can I still use the 1 yr warranty from mfg? First time buying a used phone, wanted to keep my unlimited plan and save upgrade for holiday phone.

Sent from my 8gb Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

bcrules82

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Vzw GNex since day 1 (12/15/2011) and have had zero issues with 4G, reception, or voice clarity. Sorry that not everyone had that same luck.

I had some software issues (slow landscape typing, google street names), but these were later fixed with 4.0.4
Issue 23314 - android - ICS (4.0.2) Keyboard Lag - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting
Issue 29811 - android - Google Navigation no longer says street names - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

The only issues I have now are cosmetic
Issue 33310 - android - People app - Frequently Contact list is incorrect - Android 4.0.4 - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting
Issue 36075 - android - Custom View for People App does not display Google Contacts' groups in alphabetical order - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Overall, I really like the phone, and haven't needed an larger/extra battery (though i have chargers at work & in car).

Just trying to increase the number of positive posts :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34