A Wishful Thought.

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking recently about how Samsung is in trouble for allegedly copying apple and then I had the thought of how much better android could be if Google required all the companies to put out phones with the stock version of android so they all look the same. a few reasons why i think this would be good.
1. ICS and JB both look good stock, they are more "user friendly"
2. The OEM could put their own personalized settings, apps, and widgets in, samsung could put in stay awake and s memo and all that stuff.
3. Increase competition and therefore better products. If i have the option for HTC build quality or samsung settings or motorola radios, then i can choose what of those is most important to me as a user and then go with that phone but it will still look and work the same.
4. Only testing apps and widgets to work on a stock version of android would lower the testing time for new builds and updates.

I know HTC and motorola have both gone this general direction with ICS, and even samsung to some extent. And maybe even with multiple nexus rumor next year its even more possible.

What do you guys think? i think as we move further and Google tries to solve the fragmentation of google we could see more and more of this, especially from HTC and Motorola, not sure about Samsung yet. but I would love a nexus type phone with all the settings like stay awake and things the S3 has.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking recently about how Samsung is in trouble for allegedly copying apple and then I had the thought of how much better android could be if Google required all the companies to put out phones with the stock version of android so they all look the same. a few reasons why i think this would be good.
1. ICS and JB both look good stock, they are more "user friendly"
2. The OEM could put their own personalized settings, apps, and widgets in, samsung could put in stay awake and s memo and all that stuff.
3. Increase competition and therefore better products. If i have the option for HTC build quality or samsung settings or motorola radios, then i can choose what of those is most important to me as a user and then go with that phone but it will still look and work the same.
4. Only testing apps and widgets to work on a stock version of android would lower the testing time for new builds and updates.

I know HTC and motorola have both gone this general direction with ICS, and even samsung to some extent. And maybe even with multiple nexus rumor next year its even more possible.

What do you guys think? i think as we move further and Google tries to solve the fragmentation of google we could see more and more of this, especially from HTC and Motorola, not sure about Samsung yet. but I would love a nexus type phone with all the settings like stay awake and things the S3 has.

I've thought about this... It would be OK on phones, but i really like the interface on the GalaxyTab 10.1. Before that tablet, their TouchWiz UX was pointless and super laggy on their tablets. I'll still rock the transformer tf101, ICS/JellyBean have made this tablet useful (Honeycomb blew donkey ----). I like stock, but not everyone else dose. My coworkers and friend all got GS3's when the Galaxy Nexus was an option for them. Polish sells.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've thought about this... It would be OK on phones, but i really like the interface on the GalaxyTab 10.1. Before that tablet, their TouchWiz UX was pointless and super laggy on their tablets. I'll still rock the transformer tf101, ICS/JellyBean have made this tablet useful (Honeycomb blew donkey ----). I like stock, but not everyone else dose. My coworkers and friend all got GS3's when the Galaxy Nexus was an option for them. Polish sells.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

That's true, I got the ICS update on my 10.1 yesterday and I must say how surprised I am to like it. It doesn't have much lag.
Tablets have adopted the universal look though. Apps are upper right, Google search upper left.they just add widgets

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

OEM skins are not going anywhere. They serve as too great of a differentiator for each manufacturer.