Replacement Nexus is disapointing

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just got a replacement nexus because the last one had some serious charging issues and the screen has a extremely purple tint to it. more so then my old one ever did. Ill be taking it to the verizon store tomorrow. its simply not acceptable.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Just got a replacement nexus because the last one had some serious charging issues and the screen has a extremely purple tint to it. more so then my old one ever did. Ill be taking it to the verizon store tomorrow. its simply not acceptable.

You will find that most replacements are disappointing. I went through 12 tbolts and when you do get that great replacement make sure you take care of like your life is on the line because I might be another 12 phones before the next good replacement

Sent from my Jelly bean powered Galaxy Nexus

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You will find that most replacements are disappointing. I went through 12 tbolts and when you do get that great replacement make sure you take care of like your life is on the line because I might be another 12 phones before the next good replacement

Sent from my Jelly bean powered Galaxy Nexus

Yea I think its uncalled for that they not only approve but send a phone that is clearly defective. Its an obvious purple tint when the screen brightness is low. Id rather use my old phone with its charging problems. At least it would eventually charge.

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I knew it be bad when I had a flip phone like 5 years ago I went through so many. One a month maybe. And I knew verizon hadn't changed.
I don't think its too much to ask for a replacement phone that's at least respectible.
Then again its rediculous that ya spend $300 for a phone and it doesn't have a better deal then a certified new if it breaks.

slik6996

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
All Verizon gnex are garbage
I have had mine for like 7months and I have all the problems others have but I'm not going to even bother with trying to get a replacement used gnex. Best thing to do is get the GSM version or suck.it up and wait for the next nexus to come out

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Where is your replacement from? I had a release day Korean made one with no issues. Lost it (stupid beer) and was given a Chinese replacement Nex that couldn't hold a signal anywhere. So they sent another, Made in China, they forgot their training courses on how to make a Nex like they forgot Tiananmen. So they send another, USA refurbed of a Korean built and this things hums right along. Coincidence on the Chinese one? Possibly, but do some Google searches and you'll see a lot of issues with ones made in the peoples republic.

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It is from chIna, as soon as a saw I got a little nervouse before turning it on, then I turned it on and my fears were realized.
Iv been tired of the customer service for a while so I'm so tempted to get an unlocked gsm and join my moms family plan. Which will save me like $100 a month and as a college student that be great! I just keep telling myself to wait for the new nexus, it will let my etf get a little lower and I can save up to buy the new nexus and pay the fee.
My personal view is that the customer service is more worth it then the Verizon service.

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
For the people that have had a replacement, how long did it take for your replacement to activate and keep a signal, the other thing this replacement is doing is continuously dropping a single which i know is a problem for a lot and i switch the sim cards about 5 hours ago.

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
My personal view is that the customer service is more worth it then the Verizon service.

I seem to be one of the lucky few but I have always had a great experience with Verizon Customer Service. The issues I spoke about regarding my replacement phones were because of phones provided by Asurion which Verizon customer service had helped me prove to Asurion that they were sending out bad replacements.

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I seem to be one of the lucky few but I have always had a great experience with Verizon Customer Service. The issues I spoke about regarding my replacement phones were because of phones provided by Asurion which Verizon customer service had helped me prove to Asurion that they were sending out bad replacements.

It honestly has depended for me where I am. At school its been for the most part fine, but at home it hasn't been so much. I do love this phone and the network. And I'd really like to keep it as long as I can.

REITdude

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I rec'd a warranty replacement yesterday after my GNex wouldn't hold a 4G signal or stay connected to my office WiFi, with lotsa grey bars and data loss when switching between 3G and 4G. The replacement is from Korea, IMM76Q, 1515.09, PRL 15130. Works great, absolutely no scratches on the screen, no sign of use under the back cover; I consider myself lucky! :cool:

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I rec'd a warranty replacement yesterday after my GNex wouldn't hold a 4G signal or stay connected to my office WiFi, with lotsa grey bars and data loss when switching between 3G and 4G. The replacement is from Korea, IMM76Q, 1515.09, PRL 15130. Works great, absolutely no scratches on the screen, no sign of use under the back cover; I consider myself lucky! :cool:

Ha hold onto it like your life haha. I got an otterbox just to protect mine from further damage

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

whitewallman

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The key here is I515.09. Most effected units are I515.10 (newer hardware revision). This hardware revision was released after or during the 4.0.4 software update which included radio software built around the earlier hardware specifications. There is a lte radio software/hardware incompatibility issue that causes the radios to reset, causing that 30-45 second loss of all signal. To confirm this, go into settings under wireless networks/more/mobile networks/network mode and select cdma instead of lte/ctma, taking lte completely out of the equation. You'll see no more data drops at all at the cost of 4G speeds. But it will confirm its a lte radio issue. Verizon needs to update the radio software to accommodate the newer hardware revision, plain and simple. However, their customer service would rather tell you that your issue is something they don't hear about much, and to factory reset the device.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The key here is I515.09. Most effected units are I515.10 (newer hardware revision). This hardware revision was released after or during the 4.0.4 software update which included radio software built around the earlier hardware specifications. There is a lte radio software/hardware incompatibility issue that causes the radios to reset, causing that 30-45 second loss of all signal. To confirm this, go into settings under wireless networks/more/mobile networks/network mode and select cdma instead of lte/ctma, taking lte completely out of the equation. You'll see no more data drops at all at the cost of 4G speeds. But it will confirm its a lte radio issue. Verizon needs to update the radio software to accommodate the newer hardware revision, plain and simple. However, their customer service would rather tell you that your issue is something they don't hear about much, and to factory reset the device.

I've seen i515.10 before the official 4.0.4 OTA. Notice this post from January :).

71CH

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
If they send me a replacement Nexus and I give my current Nexus back to them, does it have to be in perfect condition? What if the screen is scratched? Will they charge me even though they are giving me a replacement?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
If they send me a replacement Nexus and I give my current Nexus back to them, does it have to be in perfect condition? What if the screen is scratched? Will they charge me even though they are giving me a replacement?

That I do not know of. I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure 95% of the ones they get back are all sorts of dinged up. If they charge you, try to return it and get an insurance replacement.

whitewallman

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I've seen i515.10 before the official 4.0.4 OTA. Notice this post from January :).
:
The point is still the radio software isn't:( optimized for the newer hardware revision. Which is why devices with baseband I515.09 aren't suffering this data drop issue. What baseband do you have? To be more clear, actual hardware revision is on the label behind the battery. Will be 11.11, or 11.12 (older revision) Or 12.01 (newer revision). Baseband I515.09 denotes older, I515.10 denotes newer hardware revision. Hopefully that's a bit clearer.

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The point is still the radio software isn't optimized for the newer hardware revision. Which is why devices with baseband I515.09 aren't suffering this data drop issue. What baseband do you have?

I haven't seen anything backing that up in all honesty, and I've seen plenty of "good" .10s as I have .09s. Have you any links?

FWIW, I've owned four .09 devices.

And here is why our signal sucks, generally.

This is why your Verizon Nexus signal "sucks" - Galaxy Nexus - RootzWiki