Pro-Root v. Anti-Root: Some Thoughts

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Pro: My stock Epic4g had issues. GPS was a biggie. Updates were slow. I rooted and ROMed and wished I had done it sooner. The developer community working that phone was so great. I kept the phone for the full 2yr contract. I'd still have it if sprint had WIMAX in my area. A coworker on a stock Epic said, "I hate this phone". Now I'm on the VZ GNex stock ICS and missing features from CM9 I had on the E4G. The update lag is sounding familiar too. I'll likely be rooting soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jonsnowden

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Root. I was hesitant at first but after I did I was so glad. The stock was actually buggy for me. As soon as I flashed my first Rom which at the time was code name android the phone became amazing. I don't feel tied down at all. Flashing is pretty easy once you get a little experiance (I am no expert at all). I am currently running aokp milestone 6. I don't know what I'm waiting for to flash jelly bean, I've already flashed my gfs gnex with code name 3.5.0 and it seams to be running great. To each there own but I am PRO-ROOT!!!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
One does not simply not root the Galaxy Nexus.

This is where my feelings get mixed up

Without unlocking/flashing or rooting you are missing out on some pretty neat stuff

But if you are totally happy with your phone stock aren't you better off staying stock?

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Without unlocking/flashing or rooting you are missing out on some pretty neat stuff

But if you are totally happy with your phone stock aren't you better off staying stock?

Well then why are these forums flooded with people complaining they aren't getting the Verizon jelly bean update yet?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Sigh yes I'm guilty of being an and snapping and going nerd rage on noobs can't help it I call them dumbies noobs basically slap them with words (its an art form) but I also try to help them after the verbal Beat down I have helped several people understand it better my argument is don't BC you changed your boot image and boot looping or flashed a new from boot looping with out clearing the dalvic or factory restore or no Android backups just saying I offer advice but I'm an ass about it first can't help it its how I was raised got snacked down face in the dirt and told to get back up then pushed dkwn again and then helped up my point is if your not willing to do research and commit to it DONT DO IT DUMBA$$ I'm still a noob in some areas but still its all cluttered with noons that don't dig them selves out a hole and want someone to do it for them I HATE LAZIENESS WONT TOLLARATE IT am I just a dick or am I just realistic?

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Well then why are these forums flooded with people complaining they aren't getting the Verizon jelly bean update yet?

Hold on... unlocking and romming is an option if you want some form of jb, but

1. Gotta weigh whether jb is worth unlocking etc.

2. Even if one is rooted and unlocked its possible to be exasperated with Verizon's update schedule not keeping up with expectations. Even considering vzns past, it would not have been hard to have been convinced that this phone would have been updated faster if one was listening to what people were saying prior to release right?

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
At last, something to root for! Finally unlocked & rooted. Flashed JBSOURCERY 2.2.4. OMG!! Mind blowing! Smooth, quick & almost infinitely customizable. Worth all the time & effort. To hell with VZW OTA!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Sigh yes I'm guilty of being an and snapping and going nerd rage on noobs can't help it I call them dumbies noobs basically slap them with words (its an art form) but I also try to help them after the verbal Beat down I have helped several people understand it better my argument is don't BC you changed your boot image and boot looping or flashed a new from boot looping with out clearing the dalvic or factory restore or no Android backups just saying I offer advice but I'm an ass about it first can't help it its how I was raised got snacked down face in the dirt and told to get back up then pushed dkwn again and then helped up my point is if your not willing to do research and commit to it DONT DO IT DUMBA$$ I'm still a noob in some areas but still its all cluttered with noons that don't dig them selves out a hole and want someone to do it for them I HATE LAZIENESS WONT TOLLARATE IT am I just a dick or am I just realistic?

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

Fastboot prevents and aids in all of that.

And everyone starts somewhere. No one is born with the inner workings of the Android SDK in their brain. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

How does one know if they're totally happy without seeing all the options?

And, yes, you are missing out on some pretty neat stuff.

---------- Post Merged at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Hold on... unlocking and romming is an option if you want some form of jb, but

1. Gotta weigh whether jb is worth unlocking etc.

2. Even if one is rooted and unlocked its possible to be exasperated with Verizon's update schedule not keeping up with expectations. Even considering vzns past, it would not have been hard to have been convinced that this phone would have been updated faster if one was listening to what people were saying prior to release right?

I'll anwer #2 first: Once you're rooted, unlocked AND installed a custom ROM, you never think about Verizon again. They're not in the equation except once a month when the bill arrives. I have no concerns about when they deliver 4.1.1. I see all those posts in the forum and just ignore them.

As to #1: Either you can sit on the bench and watch the game or you can get off the bench and be in the game. Some people are happy to be spectators, others must be players. It's up to you. It's literally no effort to root and unlock the boot loader. It takes all of 10 minutes. You'll spend more time worrying about it than doing it. Once done, you'll feel silly for having worried about it. We all do.

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
1.I was rommed rooted and unlocked when I last posted :) and I had to go back to stock just yesterday coincidentally .... and yeah I can say I definitely like being custom better (ice cream sandwich is just not jelly either it really doesn't show this phone at its best)

its still a good phone as a daily driver but I'm someone who prefers custom... you're right some don't know what they're missing (its not optimal but if they're happy its not so bad either)

2. I care about Verizon's decisions ans cared yesterday when I was on jellybean I like this phone, I also like Android... I want all mobile OS's whether Ms rim apple or Google to be the best they can be... and I want devices and software yo demonstrate their potential

More importantly... Android consumers, like any consumers, deserve the device they paid for... it is a fact that Verizon sold services, and Samsung and Google sold quite a few devices, because of an implicit understanding (and this was often explicitly stated by tech media and informed consumers and even sales people ) that owners of these devices would always have the privilege of being on the latest Android release...

All indications are that Verizon would rather make money off planned obsolescence than consumer satisfaction... whether this pays off for them is up to us.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Are iPhone updates released across all carriers simultaneously? I think, but I'm not positive, that the answer is yes.
So if I'm on Verizon, and I have a nexus phone, why can't I get the update same time as GSM nexus owners?
Edit: the only thing Verizon adds to the update is radio software and some bloat....

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Are iPhone updates released across all carriers simultaneously? I think, but I'm not positive, that the answer is yes.
So if I'm on Verizon, and I have a nexus phone, why can't I get the update same time as GSM nexus owners?
Edit: the only thing Verizon adds to the update is radio software and some bloat....

Why is it important what Apple does?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, why are nexus updates slowed down by Verizon, but iPhone updates are immediate on Verizon?
Seems like Verizon favors one over the other.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Does the Apple update include different radio/baseband software?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, why are nexus updates slowed down by Verizon, but iPhone updates are immediate on Verizon?
Seems like Verizon favors one over the other.

Why does it matter what Verizon does? You can control your own update timetable. That's why it doesn't matter what Apple does.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I figure most vzw galaxy nexus owners don't know Jack about root, bootloader, ROMs. They're on stock ICS. I mean getting jelly bean would probably make them like their phone again, which would decrease iPhone preorders.
But iPhones get their updates in a timely manner.

And you run stock jelly bean on the old radios. The only thing they've changed are newer radios which they could release whenever.

Ah, I don't really care. I'm on AOKP with the new radios already.

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I figure most vzw galaxy nexus owners don't know Jack about root, bootloader, ROMs. They're on stock ICS. I mean getting jelly bean would probably make them like their phone again, which would decrease iPhone preorders.
But iPhones get their updates in a timely manner.

And you run stock jelly bean on the old radios. The only thing they've changed are newer radios which they could release whenever.

Ah, I don't really care. I'm on AOKP with the new radios already.

Well it could definitely improve the phone to an extent that some might delay upgrading.... though I think that many casual users are becoming aware that phone modding exists as well as becoming rather interested in updates

So it's in the interest of carriers to avoid a reputation for lack of support for devices even if they're not brand new