Verizon's horrible replacement phones

tundradave24

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I love this phone however I can't get thru a work day of even 6 hours even with an extended battery( with gps and snyc off and a black background )so I called Verizon they offered to send me a refurbished model. I get the first one its scratched on the screen so I send it back . Then next one comes in great shape however it dropped all connections 23 times in the first hour I had it on. It too was sent back . Third one came today it seems to work fine but the screen has a bad purple tint on low brightness settings to it so back it goes also . All I want is a phone that works . Does anyone have any ideas / advice to get a useable phone ? Or should I just sell this thing and buy out my contract and get an s3 or I phone Thanx in advance.
Mr frustrated nexus owner
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Verizon's "Certified Like New" phones are "Certified Like Crap" quality. The extended warranties are useless considering the hassle involved with getting repeated boxes of dog turds sent to you under the guise of high quality smartphones.

Wheels309

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Hang in there.... my first phone was perfect for 6 months until the sound quit working, went through 6-7 POS replacements within a 2 month period before I got one that worked, it's hit or miss with their CLN replacements. Do you call to get your replacements, explain that you are getting frustrated with the devices you have been receiving and more than likely the rep will offer you a different device. I'm not sure if they are offering CLN sg3's yet. Try to stay calm and polite with the reps and they will be more willing to help you.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
My wife had to have a replacement RAZR sent to our house. Once we got it, the damn thing wouldn't recognize the SIM card. The replacement for the replacement is on its way. The rep in store told her they were sending her a new one this time.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my 3rd replacement, it also has the purple tint just like my 1st replacement but actually worse. 2nd replacement had connections problems, too. I'm just sticking with this one with the purple tint now, got tired of calling them every night to get a new one. This latest purple tinted one also has the best signal i've had between the 2 others and my original(which was perfect til it thought i was plugging in and unplugging a headset). Maybe I'll get another replacement before the warranty runs out in December.

tundradave24

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Well its good to know I'm not just really unlucky. Yeah they mentioned that after this next one we could explore other options whatever that means. Yeah a gs3 would be my dream but I would be more than happy with a working nexus. I'll keep everyone posted when I talk to them next week

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Yea the 6th nexus they sent works like a charm!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I went through several before finally getting one that was perfect. It was sent as a cln but was actually a new phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

tundradave24

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Really that is good to know u could actually get a new phone from the cln pool of phones . Was the new phones packaging any different than the others ?

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I've been through a few replacements with Verizon but eventually they came through, but you have to persist over the phone and not at the store. The store will never acknowlege the slight imperfections. They'll just say that your phone is not defective because its functionality isn't affected.

So unless of course there's some obvious defect they'll not replace it based on the tint, unless of course it's severe. Basically they only replace based on fool proof obvious defects.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Android Central Forums

tundradave24

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input. Yes I have been dealing with them over the phone exclusively . I called back today they offered me a cln razr as a substitute for my nexus. I really don't care for the razor and the smaller screen so I declined that offer . Then they checked to see if I could get an early upgrade so I could sell my phone outright on eBay then come buy an s3. However no dice the supervisor supposedly killed that deal. So now they want me to sell my phone and use that money to the full purchase price of an s3 . I will go to any other carrier than Verizon now as a result . They sell me a phone with horrible radios in it leading to horrible battery life , then send me 3 broken replacements and they want me to shell out 300 dollars out of pocket to get a working comparable phone ? This is after I spent close to 100 bucks on accessories and wasted my time for 5 cust service phone calls and three trips to the post office . If that's the best they can do goodbye Verizon is all I can say. Any thoughts anyone?

Last edited:

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I went through several before finally getting one that was perfect. It was sent as a cln but was actually a new phone.

How do you know it was a new phone, based on what?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the input. Yes I have been dealing with them over the phone exclusively . I called back today they offered me a cln razr as a substitute for my nexus. I really don't care for the razor and the smaller screen so I declined that offer . Then they checked to see if I could get an early upgrade so I could sell my phone outright on eBay then come buy an s3. However no dice the supervisor supposedly killed that deal. So now they want me to sell my phone and use that money to the full purchase price of an s3 . I will go to any other carrier than Verizon now as a result . They sell me a phone with horrible radios in it leading to horrible battery life , then send me 3 broken replacements and they want me to shell out 300 dollars out of pocket to get a working comparable phone ? This is after I spent close to 100 bucks on accessories and wasted my time for 5 cust service phone calls and three trips to the post office . If that's the best they can do goodbye Verizon is all I can say. Any thoughts anyone?

Try it again and pin them on sending you another replacement S3. And ask to speak to higher tech support, a supervisor. They'll want to troubleshoot your phone of course just on their standard script, but tell them to refer to your account notes per the last call(s), if you know there are any, which I'm pretty sure there will be. This way you'll bypass another round of troubleshooting which is irrelevant for you now. Of course if you're still willing to deal with Vzw instead of switching carriers. Point being you can still persist with them on getting another CLN device, an S3 of course and nothing else since it is the device you want.

Go for it.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
How do you know it was a new phone, based on what?

Go into your dialer and dial *#*#RTN#*#* (*#*#786#*#*). It will pull up a screen with RTN. Click and check reconditioned status.

Mine says "NO" so it should mean it is a new phone. First activated 5/24/2012 which is the day I received it.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Go into your dialer and dial *#*#RTN#*#* (*#*#786#*#*). It will pull up a screen with RTN. Click and check reconditioned status.

Mine says "NO" so it should mean it is a new phone. First activated 5/24/2012 which is the day I received it.

That code didn't work on my phone. Is this for Samsung only? I have an HTC.

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Just had Verizon send me a replacement for my Droid Incredible 2 it kept turning off and the home button only sometimes worked. Hopefully they will send me a good replacement phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
That code didn't work on my phone. Is this for Samsung only? I have an HTC.

That is for the Galaxy Nexus. You may want to Google it. It seems there's slight variations of the sequence between phones.

S281

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
this sucks to hear, i cracked my screen and have the asurion warranty but dont want to send it back for fear of getting a crap device since my original Gnex has been working perfect. Ugh, for as much as the insurance and copay is for a replacement, it should be a new phone not a CLN.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
That is for the Galaxy Nexus. You may want to Google it. It seems there's slight variations of the sequence between phones.

Thanks I already searched.

rxmorph

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site

I did this on my CLN replacement Nexus and it says NO under reconditioned status but I think there is some way Verizon must be able to reset these numbers and statuses since there is some burn in where notification bar and whatnot are..how could it be a brand new device and have burn in? Or am I missing something?