Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)

FramCire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
What are they testing????? If the GSM one works then fire up the CDMA..

Since the new update includes new radios, that is one thing they are testing.

If updates are a reason to switch carriers than root the phone. You will have updates much faster and tons of options to make your phone better than stock.

You would switch carriers BEFORE rooting? Doesn't make sense. If you take 30 minutes to do it right, root is simple and safe and their are to of people around to help you if you run into a problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

slik6996

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Since the new update includes new radios, that is one thing they are testing.

If updates are a reason to switch carriers than root the phone. You will have updates much faster and tons of options to make your phone better than stock.

You would switch carriers BEFORE rooting? Doesn't make sense. If you take 30 minutes to do it right, root is simple and safe and their are to of people around to help you if you run into a problem.

Not everyone wants to root. Your best and only choice if you want updates quick and on time is an unlocked GSM version. And that will never change. So don't expect one either. Will never happen ever with CDMA locked down garbage.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Se

Ya trust me your better off running the GNex on Verizon than on Sprint...

At least Verizon's GNex has some AOSP support, Sprint GNex has NONE.

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I was being sarcastic buddy lol sprint is the shiiii where I'm at full citywide wimax and decent 3g

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2
I'm sure Sprint's great in certain urban areas. Also, WiMax is getting phased out in favor of LTE, and Sprint's LTE network is pretty small.

No one gets good coverage in my neighborhood, but I get much better coverage in northern Ohio in general than my friends on other carriers. Very few people use Sprint and T-Mobile out here, their coverage is kind of a joke.

spunkmeijer

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm a bit disappointed in not getting the update fast because it was a selling point for me to purchase this phone. But I can't get too mad a Verizon because I get the service I pay for. I get a strong cell signal almost anywhere I go and my 4G speed is faster then my home cable internet.

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I may be mistaken, but here goes. Verizon's phones are currently 3G (CDMA) and 4G (LTE). As they continue to build out the LTE network, they are also preparing to move to VoLTE (voice over LTE). Currently, the phones require CDMA for voice. Once VoLTE is implemented, the only radios in Verizon phones will be 4G LTE.
LTE is also proprietary, like CDMA, but there is hope that Google may become a licensee, thus allowing them to treat LTE phones like GSM phones are currently, that is, Google doesn't have to wait on the carriers to ensure compatibility, they can do so themselves, pre release.

Anyone? Am I in the ballpark?

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

slave2theaxe

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm a bit disappointed in not getting the update fast because it was a selling point for me to purchase this phone.

I think we are all getting a little spoiled here.

Not trying to pick on you specifically, but I see this comment a lot. You have to out things into perspective when talking about the timeliness of updates.

Name one phone released around the same timeframe that has received the same amount or more updates than the GNex has...

The fact of the matter is, you ARE receiving quick updates.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
No doubt. The carriers underestimated the demand for data and the progress of phone technology. They got caught with their shorts down providing "unlimited" data and had to regroup to figure out how to support all the demand.

Plus, they want to cash-in any way they can. Unlimited data was fine when people had feature phones that barely used any data. Once phones got smarter and more demanding, the carriers' networks weren't equipped to handle it. They had to scramble to upgrade the infrastructure ($$$$$). Sprint (and now T-Mobile) can get away with it because they have fewer subscribers. Verizon and AT&T can't afford to let all of their subscribers go hog-wild with data. Their networks would be brought to their knees. Hence, shared data plans (with caps) and subtle increases in pricing.

No sprint can have unlimited data because they are not starving for spectrum like att and tmo is. Verizon can most surely handle unlimited but they saw they can milk they customers with shared data and get more cash. Att is doing it to save spectrum

Sent from my Unlimited Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
No sprint can have unlimited data because they are not starving for spectrum like att and tmo is. Verizon can most surely handle unlimited but they saw they can milk they customers with shared data and get more cash. Att is doing it to save spectrum

Same difference. If Sprint had the number of subscribers that AT&T or Verizon have (essentially double what Sprint has now), then Sprint (and T-Mobile) would be hurting just as much for available spectrum to support all of the users with unlimited data. Regardless of how you spin it, it comes down to supply vs demand of available resources. Shared data is a way for the carriers to give with one hand and take away with the other.

Also, if it is truly a matter of AT&T and T-Mobile "starving" for spectrum, as you say, then in the case of T-Mobile, how do you explain their ability to offer unlimited data? I understand their reasons for doing it. (It's a competitive strategy to try to gain more users.) But if they are starving for spectrum, then it would be network suicide to offer unlimited data, UNLESS they simply don't have enough customers for it to matter (which is the point I was making in the first place). I don't believe spectrum is as much of an issue as the number of customers (or lack thereof) they have using the spectrum.

I don't discount greed as a factor in the decision to go with shared data plans. I'm sure Verizon and AT&T have figured out how to make more money from it. Otherwise, they wouldn't be doing it... especially since they're already in the lead. Believe me, they're not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. It's a cost-cutting and profit-sweetening measure, to be sure.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Sprint is 3rd not 5th sprint has like 7o million customers att is only up by like 10 million and the customers wasn't even half the problem its that failed deal and the type if spectrum they own also

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is 3rd not 5th sprint has like 7o million customers att is only up by like 10 million and the customers wasn't even half the problem its that failed deal and the type if spectrum they own also

Who said anything about 5th place? I'm well aware that Sprint is 3rd in subscriber numbers. I said Sprint has half as many subscribers (at about 55 million vs 109 million for Verizon and 103 million for AT&T). Source: http://www.fiercewireless.com/special-reports/grading-top-10-us-carriers-first-quarter-2012

I don't know where you're getting your numbers from, but it's been pretty common knowledge that Verizon and AT&T have double the subscribers of Sprint.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I got my numbers from the web too lol I just had the link in my old phone but that's common knowledge even wiki knows it lol but regardless that's not the reason for att spectrum crunch and of course they both are in the lead vzw and att was once ONE whole company hence the same shoddy plans

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I got my numbers from the web too lol I just had the link in my old phone but that's common knowledge even wiki knows it lol but regardless that's not the reason for att spectrum crunch and of course they both are in the lead vzw and att was once ONE whole company hence the same shoddy plans

You didn't answer my question. Who said anything about 5th place? As for spectrum crunch, I'm sure there are constraints, based on the subscriber base. I still contend that the real reason for the shared data plans has more to do with profits than limited spectrum.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
You didn't answer my question. Who said anything about 5th place? As for spectrum crunch, I'm sure there are constraints, based on the subscriber base. I still contend that the real reason for the shared data plans has more to do with profits than limited spectrum.

No I agree with u on that fact that att and vzw a bunch of green eyed snakes lol jk but they are tweakin on this shared data bull

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34