anyone got in trouble for using 100gb/month on VZW Galaxy Nexus?

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Unlimited data was when everybody used data pertaining to the device that was registered to that plan. Now that people are tethering a boatload of devices to that device it is overloading the network. So if a carrier has lets say 60million subscribers , it was meant to be unlimited for 60 million devices. So if you count the amount of devices being tethered, the amount of devices straining the network is probably triple at the least if now quadruple. How is the network suppose to sustain that? I don't work for any of the carriers, but lets just use some common sense here. I am sick of the bad apples(AAPL too) messing up for everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Some people just don't get it.

You do realize that when Verizon purchased the 4G LTE Spectrum they agreed to not block any applications or programs from its users. Including tethering apps such as FoxFi, etc. The agreement with the FCC also says something about tethering which is why Verizon was fined a few million dollars for charging customers to tether. If Verizon thought their network couldn't handle everyone tethering then why would they have accepted those stipulations?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Those of you complaining are acting like a bunch of kids. We get it you lost your unlimited data because the rep told you to change your plan or you upgraded your phone and you aren't smart enough to do with about it.

To the OP, there was a guy on a different board who tethered 3 things to the phone and rang up 400 gigs regularly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Actually I still have unlimited and only rack up 3-4 gb. Maybe 5 on a really heavy month. I watch netflix, stream podcasts/music all the time, watch YouTube, not to mention browsing and maps.
I'm just puzzled how some people are able to get up into the 100s of gb without tethering.
But thanks for jumping to uneducated conclusions.

Bionic'd from my tapatalk.

Downwind

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Who says heavy data users are clogging up Verizon? I get mailers every month or so urging me to get a stand alone hot spot to replace my home DSL. That's how worried Verizon is about extra data use. I've already replaced DSL with my GNex. My daughter and I both tether off my phone and use 40 to 50 gigs a month. All the folks whining here about poor Verizon's bandwidth don't seem to understand that they built it to sell data. They got rid of unlimited plans so they could maximize their profits from their network. If it gets overloaded they'll expand it. Relax. Verizon is just fine. My heavy data use isn't hurting anybody.

imtoomuch

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
No Verizon killed unlimited because they saw they can get more money out y'all chumps without unlimited data blame the company not the consumers. I and a buddy of mine use 25gb per month but sprint is still unlimited lol

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

If Sprint had good service they would have followed everybody else. Verizon isn't the only company to get rid of unlimited data.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
For well over a year I've normally consumed 30GB a month and have yet to hear from VZW. My unlimited data plan is truly unlimited! And to those ing about people using their "unlimited" data.... Really? Seriously! Be quiet with that nonsense. That's like ing about someone using the 7 sick days they have at work just because you only use 2.

I use over 60gb per month and NEVER tether.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If Sprint had good service they would have followed everybody else. Verizon isn't the only company to get rid of unlimited data.

FALSE sprint and tmobile is unlimited now only because they arent tryin to milk their customers like big red and blue and sprint is good in my area YMMV though

Keldog

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Back to the OP, what do you mean by trouble?? Did they just send you a mean email, or did they throttle you for the rest of the month?

imtoomuch

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
FALSE sprint and tmobile is unlimited now only because they arent tryin to milk their customers like big red and blue and sprint is good in my area YMMV though

TRUE. Spring coverage pales compared to AT&T and Verizon.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Like I said in YOUR AREA in my area sprint and us cellular has good coverage and speeds with Verizon right there too att and tmobile sucks in keeping calls and data within buildings I got wimax ALL OVER CHICAGO

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rocking Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Just so you guys know the whole "VZW can't charge for tethering" argument only applies to people on the shared data plans. They can still do whatever should they find out people on unlimited data plans tether without paying for the $30 tethering package.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: anyone got in trouble for using 100gb/month on VZW Galaxy Nex

Also, the FCC will be testing randomly in all cities, every mobile network 3g, 4g. hspa, wimax, all of them and release that info for consumers to have a fair advantage for true information and getting their money's worth for the data they pay for, I saw on attack of the show on g4tv. Because all the carriers seem to be lying on who has more coverage and fastest speeds and unlimited isn't really unlimited and so on.

I don't use 100GB a month on my LAPTOP, let alone my phone.

Yep...Once Verizon got some saturation on their LTE network their speeds dropped drastically. I remember stories of 40Mbps, and now in my area, it's 17Mbps in the middle of the night, and 7-8Mbps when everyone's up. Their coverage map is really "optimistic" also.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going to tell someone how much data they should or should not use, but I will say that some of the people that brag about using as much as they do, need a freaking life.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to tell someone how much data they should or should not use, but I will say that some of the people that brag about using as much as they do, need a freaking life.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Exactly its data hogs that give everyone else a bad name.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I actually have a life! When I go out with friends you would be surprised how there is always at one point or another talk about videos on the internet, pictures on facebook, new apps, amazing games, etc. and everything I just listed uses data (some more than others). Rather than fumble through my settings searching for a WiFi connection and connecting (typical iPhone user) I would rather just use my 4G because
1) its normally a million times faster (maybe exaggerating a little there but its a big difference)
2) security on Verizon is much better than that of a public connection
3) Easier to use. I'm not asking my friends for WiFi passwords, etc.

Also at my school we are basically aloud to do whatever we want (Its a VERY small pre-collegiate school) so I normally stream music from Google or Pandora about 5 hours a day and then theres normally about an hour or so of Youtube in between there. You would be surprised at how much I rely on YouTube for things relating to school! Its so much easier than listening to a blabbering teacher plus a lot of our homework is internet based so if I need a quick refresher or recap of the days lesson there is always a YouTube video that relates. Also between 3 email accounts syncing every 10 minutes during the day (teachers get very mad when you don't reply / listen to their emails) I can burn through some GB of data!

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I missed it but has anyone actually been caught from using massive data? I'm at 42 gig and I'm getting nervous.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome