Why Verizon has delayed the JellyBean 4.1 ota on the vzw Galaxy Nexus

mwara244

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I recently wrote an email to verizon about the lack of communication over all update delays and the terrible practices of remaining silent not even letting people know if they were working on them or if their was a delay do to unforeseen problems, and how any information is nice, because customers like to be kept in the loop. Particularly this was written about the Galaxy Nexus updates. Within twelve hours I received an email back from a Verizon rep about the lack of an update even though Verizon is the last carrier in the U.S. to not update the phone. This is an email I received from a rep and when he goes into details about the information of the device on their network, it gets sloppily edited somewhere and deleted. Also posted screen shots for verification. This was the email,

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless! I hope your day is going well! My name is Yosef, I appreciate you allowing me to provide insight into the Jelly Bean update delay.It is truly a pleasure to be assisting such a long time customer.

As an owner of the Galaxy Nexus device, I understand the device being a Google Flagship phone. I am also in an anticipation of the Jelly Bean update also. Although I do not have any official information to the release of the update I would suspect the update would be arriving to the devices in the coming weeks.

Once again, this information is not official but I believe that the update has been delayed by the additional testing with our network capabilities. Although the Jelly Bean update is a great additional feature to the phone and does add a layer of customization. We do want the phone to be able to function without unexpected errors. As you may know with any update, the functionalities change and can cause these unexpected errors. I feel as though it is better to work out the kinks in any OS before the release of the update. If not, it leads to more unwarranted updates to fix an issue which could have prevented. The previous additions that Jelly Bean have been released to are on unlocked and developer edition phones, along with GSM versions. The delay for CDMA phones is the different radio frequencies that have to be put into place between those devices. The device becomes somewhat unpredictable if the correct

Although the information isn't official I believe this provides some insight into what could be the delay. We ultimately hold the responsibility of making sure the device functions correctly. If the update has an issue, no one contacts Samsung or Google they come to Verizon Wireless with the issue.

It was pleasure to assist you Michael. I appreciate you being such a dedicated and loyal customer. Thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless since 2000.

Have a great week!

Yosef
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

Screenshot_2012-09-11-01-12-15.jpgScreenshot_2012-09-11-01-12-22.jpgScreenshot_2012-09-11-01-12-32.jpg

So it sounds as if it weeks away still, but the suspicious deletion of the details in the email is either a proof read then deleted himself not to give away something or maybe a censor of out going emails.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
can't blame the VZW rep for trying to be as diplomatic as possible. he may lose his job if he is too candid. I think the 4.1 on SGN CMDA is weeks away, possibly a month or maybe two. I talk to a rep yesterday who said, they normally get told about the updates a week before the release and he hasn't seen anything yet. and he didn't think it would come anytime soon. he thought it's about a month away. so, we are looking at October at this time.

but do we know if the 4.1 SGN VZW really fixes the bluetooth in call sound quality issue.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I recently got into a heated argument with a Verizon tech support agent.

She insisted that the current FLAGSHIP devices are the iPhone 4S and the Samsung Galaxy SIII.

tdobynes

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
It really is frustrating dealing with these companies and the updates I have a GNex on Sprint and I got my 4.1 update yesterday after waiting for weeks and even then waited 3 more days after Sprints initial release because of " random device selection" I know your frustration, but be patient or you can unlock and flash the ROM like most of my friends did

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

She insisted that the current FLAGSHIP devices are the iPhone 4S and the Samsung Galaxy SIII.

A Verizon tech's world revolves around Verizon, not Google. So she isn't looking at a flagship device from a Google/Android perspective. She's looking at it from the standpoint of what Verizon considers THEIR flagship device(s) in THEIR phone lineup.

The way to address it with her would have been to say that the Galaxy Nexus is Google's flagship device for the Android platform, since it is what Google sells and is the reference model for current updates.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

It's GOOGLE'S flagship device...as stated in the email. Not that one reps words mean anything. A little advice, you will get much more accomplished with ANY customer service rep if you are friendly. Such is life.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I talked to a rep yesterday and he told me that reps don't know anything. Yet, posts about what "reps say" flood forums.

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Not too surprising really. I would like to get JB sooner, but I'm ok with the delay if that really does allow them to release a more solid product.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
more solid product.

it took VZW two months to allow google to release 4.0.4 and it wasn't solid. I don't think they take their time to make sure it's solid. it's just that, VZW is so huge, that for them 2 to 3 months is normal turn around time.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
it took VZW two months to allow google to release 4.0.4 and it wasn't solid. I don't think they take their time to make sure it's solid. it's just that, VZW is so huge, that for them 2 to 3 months is normal turn around time.

How wasn't 4.0.4 solid? For most of the users, main issues were eliminated. They can't create a general update to fix specific and individuals issues...unfortunately :(

And really, from when 4.0.4 leaked to when it debuted was only ~a month. I'm sure testing happened before that, but I would presume the approximate maximum amount of time IMM76K existed until when it rolled out was probably closer to 1.5 months.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
How wasn't 4.0.4 solid?
all VZW SGN phones that weren't rooted and were updated to 4.0.4 have the bad bluetooth sound quality. This easily qualifies as being not solid.

And it took a full two months for the CMDA versions to get the OTA update (from the time it became available for SGN), not one month.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
i wasnt rooted when i got 4.0.4 and I never had bad bluetooth sound quality.

Im having issues for some reason with connectivity recently, but im starting to think its the network and not my device.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
i wasnt rooted when i got 4.0.4 and I never had bad bluetooth sound quality.

not possible, from what I have seen and heard. Is this on the VZW SGN phone? and the sound quality issue is only during calls, doesn't affect music and nor does it affect using the SGN via wired headset nor speaker.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
well, let me run something else by you. this particular problem doesn't happen on every single call and I think it's possible you haven't noticed it. it only seem to happen on about 50% of calls and it's not biased toward land line or cell. but since the update, the overall in call BT volume has dropped and as stated on half of the calls the sound quality oscillates and is often hard to hear the other party. they have no problem hearing you. I have become an expert on this and I have two popular threads running on this and I have found no exception to this flaw so far. and it seems to be a VZW issue only.

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I no longer have a nexus, but have run into this with every phone I have gotten from Verizon. They are always the last ones to do anything to update or support the products they sell. Where as I can buy the whole testing the crap out of things to make sure it works, what they fail to mention is that, and this is just my opinion, if something doesn't react well with some of the extra crap Verizon loads on these phones, they send back the update. Again, just my opinion.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
all VZW SGN phones that weren't rooted and were updated to 4.0.4 have the bad bluetooth sound quality. This easily qualifies as being not solid.

And it took a full two months for the CMDA versions to get the OTA update (from the time it became available for SGN), not one month.

That's not our update, though. Our update included carrier-specific radios, and our update lasted a month to a month and a half before release. If we had the GSM update, then 2 - 2.5 months would be correct.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I no longer have a nexus, but have run into this with every phone I have gotten from Verizon. They are always the last ones to do anything to update or support the products they sell. Where as I can buy the whole testing the crap out of things to make sure it works, what they fail to mention is that, and this is just my opinion, if something doesn't react well with some of the extra crap Verizon loads on these phones, they send back the update. Again, just my opinion.

Just to play devil's advocate for a minute...maybe Verizon with all of their extensive testing of the software installed on their phones is the reason they have the most reliable network? Maybe it's not the infrastructure that is most lacking for the other carriers, but a lot to do with their phones on their network?
Just throwing it out there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

pnale44

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Anybody think it has anything to do with the iphone(y) 5 coming out! I think they want to sell a ton of the iphone 5's and if the nexus phone with Jelly bean is better and smoother- why spend the money on an iphone 5 when you can have better with the SIII or the nexus... Idk just throwing it out there....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12