Galaxy Nexus to the iPhone 5

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to last year Apple :).

All the features they have minus the 8MP camera, the Galaxy Nexus already has. Unless i'm missing something.

The only thing I was impressed at with this announcement was the new ipod nano's. That's it.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to last year Apple :).

All the features they have minus the 8MP camera, the Galaxy Nexus already has. Unless i'm missing something.

The only thing I was impressed at with this announcement was the new ipod nano's. That's it.

Froyo

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Wait... now didn't Samsung state they would sue apple if they integrated LTE in their phone? Incoming new lawsuit.......

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I would prefer to see these companies focus less on lawsuits and more on improving and innovating their technology. I think Apple is a perfect example, they've not added anything innovative to the game for a couple years now, the "new" iPhone and iPad are proof. I would hate to see Samsung, HTC, Motorola fall into the same bad habit.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree , but at the same time Its good to see the android manufactures fighting back A Little. Until the patent laws are revised they cant keep letting apple roll over them.

cartersims

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
All this iPhone bashing. If it gets good reception and can complete more than half of the phone calls it makes then I may get one. My Nexus can do neither of these and I'm on my third.

I went from a Droid to a DroidX to this. The phones keep getting worse. The Droid was a great alternative to the iPhone but I had two different ones with faulty keyboards and every update made the phone worse, plus the updates were slow. I get into rooting and roming with it and then my Droid X. All is great if you can find a stable Rom and want to go through a bunch of hassle to have a decent phone (i.e. strip all of the BS off) The DroidX HW buttons got gummed up but both it and the Droid got great cell service. I always had my eye on Nexus' and when the Prime was leaked I was excited. Then when there was a huge delay I became worried. They finally announced and released it and I was super pumped. Snatched the phone up and it mic muted my first call. Nothing but problems and slow updates since.

The HW design is beautiful, screen is awesome, ICS is sweet. But I get shish for reception and can't make phone calls. Those are pretty important features.

You can bash the iPhone but it will still work better than 99% of the Android phones out there.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
All this iPhone bashing. If it gets good reception and complete more than half of the phone calls it makes then I may get one. My Nexus can do neither of these and I'm on my third.

I went from a Droid to a DroidX to this. The phones keep getting worse. The Droid was a great alternative to the iPhone but I had two different ones with faulty keyboards and every update made the phone worse, plus the updates were slow. I get into rooting and roming with it and then my Droid X. All is great if you can find a stable Rom and want to go through a bunch of hassle to have a decent phone (i.e. strip all of the BS off) The DroidX HW buttons got gummed up but both it and the Droid got great cell service. I always had my eye on Nexus' and when the Prime was leaked I was excited. Then when there was a huge delay I became worried. They finally announced and released it and I was super pumped. Snatched the phone up and it mic muted my first call. Nothing but problems and slow updates since.

The HW design is beautiful, screen is awesome, ICS is sweet. But I get shish for reception and can't make phone calls. Those are pretty important features.

You can bash the iPhone but it will still work better than 99% of the Android phones out there.

I guarantee it won't work better than my phone. Samsung is known for horrible signal and reception. I had the same problem with my nexus, replaced it with a maxx and it's great. I also had the Droid x before and that was a great phone also. You cant make an ignorant statement like that I phone will work better than 99 percent of android when you have only owned three . :banghead:

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Just because you have had bad luck with phones doesn't mean 99% of the android phones out there are like that.
I started out with the OG droid...used it for 6 months, rooted ROM'd and had ZERO issues. traded it for a Droid X...same thing...Zero issues in 6 months, traded for a Thunderbolt...again Zero issues (almost). upgraded to a nexus and again, 9 months in, i have No issues. and each radio, ROM I slap on here the phone keeps getting better and better.

as for the iphone....this is a pretty nice update. larger, thinner, lighter, faster, better looking...but still a boring OS for me....they are really going to have to do something "magical" for me to even consider switching to iOS.

cartersims

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I think that it is ridiculous to buy a phone that is bursting at the seams with bloatware from the carrier/manufacturer/third parties to the point that you have to wait for some hacker to break into the device, get around the encrypted boot loader and put some Rom that who knows who made. These Roms by the way are in various states of functionality and really only tech people would even dream of doing this to their phones. So most Android users are left with these unusable phones that they got for their job, were talked into buying and are stuck with them for 2 years. Android phones might have quad core processors and 2gb of Ram but there is so much junk that you can't enjoy it. My Dad's Bionic is so hobbled by junk that it can barely be used. Most people that defend Android are hackers and devs. Everyone else that has one was either talked into it by a Carrier sales rep (seen it happen) or just wanted a bigger screen.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I can see this thread getting out of hand for sure. Facts don't lie though. 1.3 million android devices activated everyday. And the fact that android devices are on the cutting edge (weather that's a pro or con is a choice) while apple devices are behind the times. I personally never had an issue with apple devices. I do have.an issue with the company. And the fact is it would be a downgrade for me to switch my nexus for an iphone 5.

cartersims

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Well I don't get service on my 3rd Nexus and can rarely make a complete phone call. So it would be an upgrade for me. It's awesome because I've started looking at other people's phones that are around me and their reception (verizon) is fine. Meanwhile my flagship Google Galaxy Nexus savior phone has no bars and is running down it's battery searching for one. Good times.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I think that it is ridiculous to buy a phone that is bursting at the seams with bloatware from the carrier/manufacturer/third parties to the point that you have to wait for some hacker to break into the device, get around the encrypted boot loader and put some Rom that who knows who made. These Roms by the way are in various states of functionality and really only tech people would even dream of doing this to their phones. So most Android users are left with these unusable phones that they got for their job, were talked into buying and are stuck with them for 2 years. Android phones might have quad core processors and 2gb of Ram but there is so much junk that you can't enjoy it. My Dad's Bionic is so hobbled by junk that it can barely be used. Most people that defend Android are hackers and devs. Everyone else that has one was either talked into it by a Carrier sales rep (seen it happen) or just wanted a bigger screen.

Maybe you should read the release notes for the rom you are flashing and then you wouldn't flash one with limited functionality?

And seriously bloatware is the stupidest excuse. What does it take up 20mb of your space? Big freaking deal. If you don't like it then don't use them.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Mostly false... the Android user experience can be bad but you don't seem to remember just how many iPhone issues there have been. Go loon at iPhone forums and see all the complaints....

Where do you think all these new Android users keep coning from (only half serious)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I personally never had an issue with apple devices. I do have.an issue with the company. And the fact is it would be a downgrade for me to switch my nexus for an iphone 5.

This.

I've played with my step-daughter's iPod touch (and my Mom's iPod touch), and a few minutes here and there with Wifey's iP4s. Are they bad? no, not at all. In fact some days I'm a little jealous of the smaller size of the iP4s -- sometimes I feel the Gnex is a bit too much and wish I had something a bit easier to stuff in a pocket.

BUT... I have issues with the closed ecosystem of Apple. If you want to buy into it and spend the money -- by all means. It all works, and when you have a desktop, laptop, portable media device, TV device, and they're all designed from the ground up to run together off that same closed off system, it's pretty cool. Its not what I want, and lord knows Apple tends to be overpriced.... So I'd rather spend less money on an OPEN ecosystem then more money (that I couldn't justify spending) on a closed system. Not that it's bad-- just not for me

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
And BTW, I'm just going to make sure we're all on the same page:

Let's keep this civil, friendly, and educational. Thanks :).