Why the bell-tone alert?

dpeebler

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
OK - here's the deal. About two weeks ago, my Galaxy Nexus starting giving me a two-note bell tone notification. There is nothing in the notification bar and no pop-up. I am using LightFlow notification, but it has no audio notifications activated. Can anyone help? Thanks.

MalachyNG

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
It might be your NFC chip. Today my new GN reacted to my pocket with the NFC Tone. Turns out an old college ID in my wallet with a computer chip embedded was setting it off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dpeebler

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Malachy, thanks for the reply. I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what is an NFC chip?

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The NFC chip is embedded in the battery. it allows for wireless transfer of data (web links, youtube videos, contact info, in jelly bean photos and videos form your gallery) and other cool things like making payments via google wallet. You Just press the back of your phone against a paypass terminal or another NFC enabled device you can do these things and alot more!

what Malachy is eluding to is that the NFC chip in the phone might be reacting to a card or something with an rfid/nfc type chip in it and it is trying to read it. when the NFC chip trying to send or receive it makes a noise sort of like what your describe.

see if the sound matches:
How To Use Android Beam and NFC - YouTube

try to disable nfc and see if you stop getting the notification sound.

dpeebler

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to both of you, but NFC was turned off, so I don't think that's it.

Any other ideas?