Fix for Picasa Uploads (4.0.4)

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me if this is posted elsewhere, but ever since I got my GNex, I haven't been able to upload photos to Picasa from the Gallery. An error always popped up. It's annoyed the heck out of me for months. Finally, today, I stumbled across a simple fix based upon what the XDA guys discovered, at least for the Facebook app on 4.0.4.

Instead of signing into the Facebook app with your GMail address, use the email address Facebook gives you. You can find out what it is in your account settings in Facebook, but it should be your first and last name and "@facebook.com", so it will look like "johnsmith@facebook.com". Note that you don't need to make this your default email address in Facebook, i.e., don't change any settings for your Facebook account, just find out what your @facebook.com email address is.

Once you have it, on your phone, go to Settings--Accounts--Facebook and remove your Facebook account (there will be a menu button in the top right corner of the screen that will give you this option). Don't delete the app itself. Once you remove the account, exit settings and launch the Facebook app. It should ask you to sign in. Instead of your GMail address, enter the Facebook email address described above as your account name. Enter your password as normal and the app should sync your account again. Uploads to Picasa from the gallery app should now work. Note that it may prompt you for permissions when you upload a photo and you must accept them. This little trick even solved some general wonkiness I've been having with the Gallery app.

The problem appears to stem from syncing accounts to the phone that use your GMail address as the account name (besides your Google account itself, that is). So, if you use your GMail address to sign into an account you need to sync to the phone, try to find an alternate way of credentialling the account, one that doesn't use your GMail address as the account name. I only needed to do this for Facebook. I did not try it with other services.

I hope this helps anyone that sees this issue. It might have been fixed in 4.1, but if you're on 4.0.4, try it out.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
thanks! I have been trying to get around the fb/picasa sync issue for a while now. so long that I stopped trying to upload to my picasa account. I recently did a reset of my phone (flashed factory image) to fix some bugs I seemed to be having. and I always have my fb notifications disabled.

this time around when I went to disable fb account sync it isnt there..and picasa works fine..its weird..but im not going to complain. maybe the new fb update along with my reset fixed this issue? or the fact that I have notification off with the new fb update now disables syncing for fb..im not sure.

but if you are still having issues with this follow small laws guide here. it should work perfectly.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Just to be clear, I don't think the issue is due to the Facebook app (for once, shockingly) so much as it is that the Gallery app brain farts if it sees more than one account syncing with GMail credentials. So, if you are syncing your Dropbox account with your GMail address as the account name on the phone, that could cause the problem. Again, I only had Facebook syncing with my GMail address as the account credential. Syncing accounts from other services could cause the problem too.

forumreader35

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Further confirmation - I removed my gmail credential for my samsung account on my GT-I9100 with 4.04 and was instantly able to upload to picasa again.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool