Can?t Turn Wi-Fi On After Jellybean Update

patrickmaher

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I got the Jellybean OTA update for my VZW Galaxy Nexus on Saturday. The OTA downloaded over Wi-Fi and installed successfully. Once I was booted into Jellybean I noticed that Wi-Fi was not displayed in the status bar. I went into the settings menu and found that the Wi-Fi On/Off toggle was gray and could not be toggled. Then I went into the Wi-Fi settings and was greeted by the message “Turning Wi-Fi on...”. No matter what I do Wi-Fi never turns on.

I did some research and it appears this problem is caused by dead Wi-Fi hardware in the phone. I did not want to give up on my phone yet because I am not looking forward to getting a refurbished phone from Verizon. Since Wi-Fi was working right before the update I decided to flash the 4.0.4 IMM76K factory image to see if Wi-Fi would work in ICS. Note, at this point my phone was unlocked and rooted but still stock (never flashed anything up until this point). After flashing the IMM76K factory image and booting into ICS I found that Wi-Fi was working fine.

After testing Wi-Fi for a bit the Jellybean update popped up again. I went ahead with the update and once again Wi-Fi would not turn on in Jellybean. Wi-Fi works fine in ICS but no matter what I try it will not work in Jellybean. At this point I am about ready to give up and get a refurbished replacement from Verizon. Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have suggestions of what I can try before I completely give up?
My thought now is that the Wi-Fi hardware in my phone has been defective from the start and that maybe ICS was forgiving of that defect but Jellybean is not. Even if my phone is defective and I need to get a replacement, I hope that this information will be helpful to anyone else that may be having this problem.

I’m back in ICS now so that I can use Wi-Fi. I never thought I would dislike seeing an update popup. It is constantly popping up and taunting me with Jellybean.

Thanks in advance for any help

This is a list of what I have tried and the result:

Jellybean OTA installed for first time. Wi-Fi did not work.

Power cycled phone and tried a battery pull. Wi-Fi did not work.

Factory data reset to try Jellybean with a clean slate. Wi-Fi did not work.

Flashed factory image of 4.0.4 IMM76K using dmmarck’s guide. Wi-Fi worked.

Installed Jellybean OTA update again. Wi-Fi did not work.

Flashed factory image of IMM76K and then installed JRO03O update zip using TWRP. Wi-Fi did not work.

Getting desperate.
Flashed old radios from IMM76K image on top of Jellybean. Wi-Fi did not work.
I don’t know why I did this, do the radios even control Wi-Fi? Like I said, getting desperate.

Used TWRP to wipe these: factory reset, cache, davlik cache, system. Then flashed AOKP JB Build 3. Wi-Fi did not work.

Flashed factory image of 4.1.1 JRO03O using dmmarck’s guide. Wi-Fi did not work.

Jellybean Wi-Fi Stuck.png Jellybean Wi-Fi Turning on.png

GUHoya94

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site

patrickmaher

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Weird. Wifi works for me with the same build image but I do run into the bug where I can't auth to our enterprise wireless due to this bug: Issue 34212 - android - On Jelly Bean, failed to connect to WPA enterprise wireless - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting & the bluetooth voice dialing bug.

However I haven't see the issue for turning on wifi. My only thought is when you did the factory reset, did you install any apps before checking the wifi?

Thanks for the suggestion. I am pretty sure that after the factory reset I did not install any apps before checking Wi-Fi. Also I think I tried skipping the Google account step so that nothing would sync to the phone from my account. I've spent so much time on this that I am having trouble remembering everything that I tried. Later today I will try to install Jellybean again and make sure not to login to my Google account. Maybe the saved Wi-Fi hotspots that sync from my account are causing a problem? Seems like a longshot.

patrickmaher

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Well I had a little bit of a delay but now I have tested that apps and syncing with my Google account are not the culprit. I flashed the factory image of 4.1.1 JRO03O, activated the phone, and then skipped entry of my Google account. No apps or settings added to the phone and Wi-Fi still will not turn on. I can't think of anything else to try. The phone must be defective in some way. Just pisses me off that I will have to switch to a refurb even though Wi-Fi works fine in ICS.

EugenioF

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I just experienced the same issue on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7501
I installed the ROM JellyBeanRomICS v7 XXLQ8 GT-P7500 and my WiFi stopped working exactly as described above....
SO I searched for another ROM and with GT-P7500XWLP5_deo_zip_root-V2 the WiFi is working as always, no worries!
Just a thought.....

paulcr84

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am having the exact same problem and have tried pretty much the same you did.

I am wondering if this is a hardware issue and I really hesitate taking the phone to the store as it works perfectly on ICS...

Have you found anything else on this problem?

elton jones

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I too had the same issue which I tried to resolve for two days, in the end I had to buy a new Router.
I used to run on a 7 year old Belkin ADSL Modem Wireless G Router model F5D7632-4 fw:F5D7632-4v3_UK_3.01.20.
Samsung i9300 ROM ICS 4.0.4 standard Orange build was working fine.

When I flashed to 4.1.2 SuperNexus-I9300-BUILD5-20121017 and gapps-jb-20121011-signed all WiFi functionality died. Constant Authenticating message, and instantly dropped session when Authentication turned off.

I replaced the Belkin with a Netgear N300 Wireless Dual Band ADSL2+ Model Router DGND3300v2 configured it and Super Nexus connected instantly with and without WPA2-p AES configured. I have not investigated the differences between the routers but there was some incompatibility issue since all other devices in the home were fine. PS3, 360, Laptops, mobiles (apart from Nexus 4.1.2) and i tried many permutations of config on the Belkin to no avail.

Good luck if your still debugging, I had a spare ?60 to get around this problem.

Elton

paulcr84

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi Elton, I am glad you were able to resolve your issue, but in my case is definitely not the router. In my case, I'm not even able to turn on the Wireless.

paulcr84

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I just wanted to let you know that my WiFi issue was resolved after manually upgrading via ODIN to 4.1.2. I just can't believe it!!!! I tried pretty much everything. patrickmaher I hope it works for you as well.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi! I just wanted to let you know that my WiFi issue was resolved after manually upgrading via ODIN to 4.1.2. I just can't believe it!!!! I tried pretty much everything. patrickmaher I hope it works for you as well.

Glad to hear it. If it happens in the future, I'd try re-downloading and flashing your kernel of choice. Kernel 'hiccups' can cause strange things like this.

Giao Nguyen

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Dear Pualcr84,
In case my android phone can not upgrade to 4.1.2 , how can I do to fix this issue ? And I have another issue like image attached , my phone appeared the red frame around margin , I used to Avast and AVG to scan all apps but did not deteched any virus .
error.png

pattonr

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I experienced the same WIFI problems after updating to Jellybean. I have resolved this issue and my WIFI is working without any connection problems. The Jellybean update is not compatible with all 802.11 Standards. My Actiontec wireless router only supported 802.11 G. This is the problem with this upgrade. I have upgraded my network to a ActiontecGT784-WN This DSL Wireless router will support 802.11 B, 802.11 G, and 802.11 N The Jellybean upgrade apparently doesn't support 802.11 G So much for backward compatibility! I wasn't going to wait until the next OS fix to correct this Issue. I have read and tried several of the so called "Fixes" for this issue in this forum. None have worked, which led me to investigate further concerning the WIFI compatibility issue, which was the whole issue all along. Hope this Information is helpful. I am running the Jellybean version of Android on a Verizon Razor Maxx.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon