10 Ways Android still beats the new iPhone 5

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
All the cool kids will wait in line the Obamaphone... It has widgets AND its union made!

The Romneyphone is said to have better support for Exchange accounts though

The Ophone has a bigger screen and can make its own birth certificates long or short, but Romdroid just updated to jellyBain! Online offshore banking AND proprietary TAX RETURN WIPE software!!! (Wi-Fi only without jailbreak) but lacks Ophones unlockable debtloader... deal breaker for some

(Note: the above is meant merely in good fun though poor taste)

Oh right we were talking about the iPhone 5....

In all seriousness how do you Guys interpret the controversial claim that apple's integration makes its hardware perform far better than equivalent android phones... ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what that means.

I appreciated your reply and do believe you are sincere but most of your replies were based on your opinion. The fact remains that Google tries harder to give options for their users. Just for the keyboard I switch back and forth between Swype and SwiftKey because they are both awesome keyboards. For the long list of share options I would rather have a long list with options rather than not having the option at all. And although there are lots of good apps that fill holes in iOS, some people just want simple things like file management, email attachments and to be able to use their phone like a portable usb drive. Nothing complicated. These are day to day things that shouldn't require sourcing additional apps.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
hahaha I found this funny... I don't trust fox news with anything cause I feel like they are just one sided and tells you what they want you to hear. but I think I will show this to my iphone friends cause they keep telling me I should get an Iphone but I don't want one... I like my freedom

Every now and then even a blind squirrel finds a nut :p

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
All the cool kids will wait in line the Obamaphone... It has widgets AND its union made!

The Romneyphone is said to have better support for Exchange accounts though

The Ophone has a bigger screen and can make its own birth certificates long or short, but Romdroid just updated to jellyBain! Online offshore banking AND proprietary TAX RETURN WIPE software!!! (Wi-Fi only without jailbreak) but lacks Ophones unlockable debtloader... deal breaker for some

(Note: the above is meant merely in good fun though poor taste)

Oh right we were talking about the iPhone 5....

In all seriousness how do you Guys interpret the controversial claim that apple's integration makes its hardware perform far better than equivalent android phones... ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Even as a Canadian this made me chuckle. Nice work poor taste or not.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I appreciated your reply and do believe you are sincere but most of your replies were based on your opinion. The fact remains that Google tries harder to give options for their users. Just for the keyboard I switch back and forth between Swype and SwiftKey because they are both awesome keyboards. For the long list of share options I would rather have a long list with options rather than not having the option at all. And although there are lots of good apps that fill holes in iOS, some people just want simple things like file management, email attachments and to be able to use their phone like a portable usb drive. Nothing complicated. These are day to day things that shouldn't require sourcing additional apps.

I don't disagree that google gives good options. My opinions as you state are facts though, we'll where I point out what you can do. And while you say it shouldn't have to fill holes, you just mention an example of it on android, the keyboard. It's the same. I had to download esfile explorer, double twist, swiftkey.

Whether you'd like to admit it or not, these things are capable, we all download apps on all systems, so what, big deal. We use them to give us functionality beyond what the default give us, android, iOS, windows, whatever. Disregarding iOS just because you also have to download apps is not fair to the system. It can still do plenty. Shoot I even had to download many google specific apps just to use all of its services. And give me the option in settings to pair down my long list of options. Simple checkmark, where is that option that google supposedly gives me? See, it's not all pretty roses on android either. While I do enjoy the system and love my bigger phone with the gs3, it's not as many people claim where you can do every thing you want out of the box, you have to download apps. And downloading apps is perfectly fine, I don't mind letting 3rd party developers making it even better, iOS or android, neither company can do everything.

As far as google giving options. Why don't have I have the jelly bean update on day 1. Carriers schmarriers, I want it now to improve my phone. Give me the option to download it. Don't say google is so great when they really don't give a crap after they release their os. They should take control of it like iOS. But whatever.

Last edited:

PanchoPlanet

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
The eyephone its just playing catch-up right now. Is a simple phone for simple minded people.
No biggie. Android phones are for the adventurous, that want to make a statement with their communication devices.
That works for me.

Pp. :-D

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Android Central Forums

habanophile

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't disagree that google gives good options. My opinions as you state are facts though, we'll where I point out what you can do. And while you say it shouldn't have to fill holes, you just mention an example of it on android, the keyboard. It's the same. I had to download esfile explorer, double twist, swiftkey.

Whether you'd like to admit it or not, these things are capable, we all download apps on all systems, so what, big deal. We use them to give us functionality beyond what the default give us, android, iOS, windows, whatever. Disregarding iOS just because you also have to download apps is not fair to the system. It can still do plenty. Shoot I even had to download many google specific apps just to use all of its services. And give me the option in settings to pair down my long list of options. Simple checkmark, where is that option that google supposedly gives me? See, it's not all pretty roses on android either. While I do enjoy the system and love my bigger phone with the gs3, it's not as many people claim where you can do every thing you want out of the box, you have to download apps. And downloading apps is perfectly fine, I don't mind letting 3rd party developers making it even better, iOS or android, neither company can do everything.

As far as google giving options. Why don't have I have the jelly bean update on day 1. Carriers schmarriers, I want it now to improve my phone. Give me the option to download it. Don't say google is so great when they really don't give a crap after they release their os. They should take control of it like iOS. But whatever.

Should have got a g-nex, rooted that bad boy and unleashed the beast. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Should have got a g-nex, rooted that bad boy and unleashed the beast. ;)

That defeats the purpose of android being open, should be open from the start, so it is in fact a closed system.

So someone tell me where in the settings I can limit the share list. Also where I can disable or uninstall bloatware as ICS was supposed to be capable of. I mean, it is supposed to be open and I am supposed to have choice right?

habanophile

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
That defeats the purpose of android being open, should be open from the start, so it is in fact a closed system.

So someone tell me where in the settings I can limit the share list. Also where I can disable or uninstall bloatware as ICS was supposed to be capable of. I mean, it is supposed to be open and I am supposed to have choice right?

I'm not familiar with the gs3. Did it come with a lot of bloat? I know touchwiz is a turn off to some as well. How do you like it?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
This its great amo for the eyegeeks at the office.
My wife's knucklehead coworker was bragging this morning about"panoramic mode" on his new eyephone, HAAA! Androids had that for two years now. They just don't get it, and never will as long as they stay on eyephones.

Pp. :)

Sent from the future using Mayan technology.

Ah, and that's the issue with Apple. It appears that they've run out of creativity. I don't believe that to be the case at all, they're a creative bunch. But the issue is that they such a huge legacy that they can't make radical changes to the iPhone or they'll piss off the masses. Apple is where Microsoft was with Windows. Ironically, Microsoft is making radical changes with Windows 8. Takes balls.

Anyway, the changes Apple is making are just incremental. Have you seen their ad campaign? One ad shows a panorama shot. Nothing new there. Another ad shows that the screen is just the right size for a thumb, not mentioning that we all have different size thumbs. Apple has lost it's ability to be creative and it shows.

The NEXT BIG THING that apple will do is put two speakers on an iPad and proclaim to the world that it has stereo. The Apple sheeple will brag to the world that they now have STEREO. Apple will sue Samsung for having two speakers on the Galaxy Tab 10.1.

---------- Post Merged at 07:10 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:07 AM ----------

I'm not familiar with the gs3. Did it come with a lot of bloat? I know touchwiz is a turn off to some as well. How do you like it?

Ironically, the Samsung camera on the S3 doesn't have panorama mode. Fortunately, the ISC Camera is a free download.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Samsung bloat, yes. Touchwiz is fine, doesn't really bother me, I use nova launcher now though. Overall I like the phone.

Android is android though, you don't have to be familiar with the GS3 to know if I can make system changes with android. It should be consistent no matter what phone it's on.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

But there is a big difference between having a keyboard and getting a second keyboard as an added bonus. Or having a file manager out of the box and deciding to get es file manager as an upgrade. Lots of noobs don't have a clue of what to get or do. The turn on their phone and look for what they can do with it. Adding key apps is far different than adding an upgrade. Ie: I can use the stock text messaging app just fine but like using Go SMS. I haven't added the feature of having the ability to text just a new way to do this. For many of the things listed ios doesn't have this feature at all until you install the app. I personally think this is a huge difference in hat we are discussing.

I appreciate your open views regardless. I know you are not just being a fanboy.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
But there is a big difference between having a keyboard and getting a second keyboard as an added bonus. Or having a file manager out of the box and deciding to get es file manager as an upgrade. Lots of noobs don't have a clue of what to get or do. The turn on their phone and look for what they can do with it. Adding key apps is far different than adding an upgrade. Ie: I can use the stock text messaging app just fine but like using Go SMS. I haven't added the feature of having the ability to text just a new way to do this. For many of the things listed ios doesn't have this feature at all until you install the app. I personally think this is a huge difference in hat we are discussing.

I appreciate your open views regardless. I know you are not just being a fanboy.

Adding a keyboard is adding an app, you are changing the functionality or adding functionality. It is no different than adding a file manager app in iOS, you are changing functionality or adding functionality. An app is an app is an app, no matter what os you are installing it on. Whether you want to call it a "key" app or an upgrade, it's still an app you have to install to get different functionality than the default. Each os has its own default and its ok to add apps to change it to better suit your needs.

So where in the setting can I change the list of share programs? Should be a choice right? How do I download JB from googles servers, is there an update phone in settings? And how do I delete or disable bloatware as ICS claimed to be able to do? According to you I should have all of these choices and android should be open.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Adding a keyboard is adding an app, you are changing the functionality or adding functionality. It is no different than adding a file manager app in iOS, you are changing functionality or adding functionality. An app is an app is an app, no matter what os you are installing it on. Whether you want to call it a "key" app or an upgrade, it's still an app you have to install to get different functionality than the default. Each os has its own default and its ok to add apps to change it to better suit your needs.

So where in the setting can I change the list of share programs? Should be a choice right? How do I download JB from googles servers, is there an update phone in settings? And how do I delete or disable bloatware as ICS claimed to be able to do? According to you I should have all of these choices and android should be open.

But I don't have to upgrade the keyboard if I don't want to. My point is that Google gives you the stock options out of the box with many other apps to expand that experience. Apple os doesn't have these basic features and must rely on apps to even be able to do it. Many people will live without these functions because they may not even know they are available as apps.

As for upgrades etc. These are 2 points. 1. We do have to rely on the carriers for updates. This is unfortunate but is reality and because of this we wait longer. But some tablets and phones don't have this problem. Ie: the Gnex and Asus tablets. I just installed JB today on my Prime. I just went to my settings and checked the updates and got the ota upgrade.

2. The simple fix is to buy one of these devices if updates are critical to you. If not then you have the option to get a device that may better better suit you but have limited or slower updates. This again is the many options you have.

As for customization and the list of share apps etc. I never once said you should be able to change every conceivable thing that your mind can think of but pleeeze spare me your attempt at condemning android for not providing even more customization on top of the already huge list compared to ios. I would also like the feature to customize my share list but it is not a critical thing IMO. At least I have the option to share. Can you choose to remove share options in ios? I think not.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Samsung bloat, yes. Touchwiz is fine, doesn't really bother me, I use nova launcher now though. Overall I like the phone.

Android is android though, you don't have to be familiar with the GS3 to know if I can make system changes with android. It should be consistent no matter what phone it's on.

Only the Nexii (and G1) are pure Android devices. Your GS3 and all others are Android-based roms...also known as skins. No offense, but by this comment it looks like you didn't do your homework. Touchwiz, Sense, Blur etc. will all have the same base but can also be very different experiences. Even between each versions of each OEM's build. Rooting or not, which I enthusiastically say root, this is one of many reasons I'll only be purchasing Nexii devices from here on out. At least with all things being equal as we know them in 2012.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
But I don't have to upgrade the keyboard if I don't want to. My point is that Google gives you the stock options out of the box with many other apps to expand that experience. Apple os doesn't have these basic features and must rely on apps to even be able to do it. Many people will live without these functions because they may not even know they are available as apps.

As for upgrades etc. These are 2 points. 1. We do have to rely on the carriers for updates. This is unfortunate but is reality and because of this we wait longer. But some tablets and phones don't have this problem. Ie: the Gnex and Asus tablets. I just installed JB today on my Prime. I just went to my settings and checked the updates and got the ota upgrade.

2. The simple fix is to buy one of these devices if updates are critical to you. If not then you have the option to get a device that may better better suit you but have limited or slower updates. This again is the many options you have.

As for customization and the list of share apps etc. I never once said you should be able to change every conceivable thing that your mind can think of but pleeeze spare me your attempt at condemning android for not providing even more customization on top of the already huge list compared to ios. I would also like the feature to customize my share list but it is not a critical thing IMO. At least I have the option to share. Can you choose to remove share options in ios? I think not.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Buying another device is not a simple fix. Google should take control and push the updates out, it's not that it's just a newer update, but it makes significant differences in the way the is operates. Maybe I will buy a pure google device when my contract is up. But in the mean time it is not a simple fix.

I'm not condemning android, I use the damn thing on 2 devices, I think making the claim by most android fans, not you necessarily, that its open and completely customizable is a farce. And I very much agree its a better option than what is given in iOS. It may not be a critical thing to you, but saying default android is full of options, is simply not true.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Only the Nexii (and G1) are pure Android devices. Your GS3 and all others are Android-based roms...also known as skins. No offense, but by this comment it looks like you didn't do your homework. Touchwiz, Sense, Blur etc. will all have the same base but can also be very different experiences. Even between each versions of each OEM's build. Rooting or not, which I enthusiastically say root, this is one of many reasons I'll only be purchasing Nexii devices from here on out. At least with all things being equal as we know them in 2012.

I know exactly what skins are. I use the device every day since the phone launched, so I've done plenty of homework.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Buying another device is not a simple fix. Google should take control and push the updates out, it's not that it's just a newer update, but it makes significant differences in the way the is operates. Maybe I will buy a pure google device when my contract is up. But in the mean time it is not a simple fix.

I'm not condemning android, I use the damn thing on 2 devices, I think making the claim by most android fans, not you necessarily, that its open and completely customizable is a farce. And I very much agree its a better option than what is given in iOS. It may not be a critical thing to you, but saying default android is full of options, is simply not true.

I think a lot of the customization people speak of is in Widgets and launchers etc. Android isn't perfect. We have a long way to go. But having a company that is focused on trying to keep things open as well as efficient excites me. The very thing that makes us upset regarding updates is the very thing that makes android what it is. I don't know what phone you are using but I am sure the experience is still great regardless of what is it is running. My daughter uses my old HTC desire that is running Froyo and is still works well. We get upgrade happy thinking we are missing out on something big when I really don't think it is as big of a deal as we think. My Transformer prime had GB when it came out. I upgraded it to iCS and now to JB. Are the upgrades nice? Sure. Are they overwhelmingly important to my experience in the Google eco system? Nope. GB still did tons of things that ios never could.

Do we need android to get even better? Hell ya.